Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: 2021 Singlehanded Farallones Race - Stories and Pixs!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default 2021 Singlehanded Farallones Race - Stories and Pixs!

    Please add any pics or short videos you took to this album:

    It was a foggy rainy start to the day but there was plenty on breeze and current to get out the gate and into the Pacific. It went light with some big rollers making pointing high a chore for Tortuga. I gave it a few hours of trying to make some head way and called it a day somewhere a few miles out from Bolinas. With many miles still to go I didnít want to be out all night and finish in the morning trying to get around the rocks. I figured I could still make the flood in the afternoon so turned around and had a nice sail back into the bay. Its either too much wind or not enough wind it seems! It was fun to be out sailing anyway.
    Hereís a video from Tortugaís day on the water :

    W32 Tortuga

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2010

    Default The Indomitables

    Dura Mater carries one of Ray Irvine's trackers, and he is always funny when we return from the water:

    "I see you in the tide and no wind at Pt. Pinole at 2:00 pm - entertaining the fish people",

    "no risk, no gain" etc etc.

    Mostly he sends missives to the effect of "What were you thinking?" or "You have got to find a way to point better".

    He is a keen and behind the scenes watcher of all things SSS. This morning?

    Well that was a race for the strong of heart and mind. Indeed.

    If I had a video of the other three finishers' bare feet, I would post it here. But I only have this one:

    Congratulations to Truls, Synthia, Robert and Jeff. The Indomitables.
    Last edited by Philpott; 05-16-2021 at 10:45 AM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2021


    This was my first Farallon’s race and I felt that I was up to the task, and excited to experience the challenge. The following is a recap of my day. I will try to be brief. The race started with a good breeze sometimes hitting as much as 16-17 knots. I set up with a reef in the main and my 125% genoa. It felt strange setting up with a reef, but my boat overpowers quickly due to its large main, and I knew it would be easier to shake it out if necessary than to put one in after the start.

    The majority of my fleet lined up for a port tack start, but one boat came in at the pin on starboard and I was trapped. I did my best to stall and was able to get off to what I though was a fantastic start on the line at the gun and was leading my fleet on port tack heading toward the GGB.....but SSS Race Committee disagreed and called me over (needless to say, they were right). With an ebb tide flowing out it meant I started with the group behind. Nevertheless I sailed hard and was able to work myself back up to the bulk of my fleet by the time we got to Point Bonita. Felt good about that since I was one of the highest handicapped boats in fleet. About 1/4 way to the islands I started feeling seasick. Very unlike me. Not since childhood have I been seasick. Long story short I couldn’t shake it and threw up many times, but I persevered. Rounding the island I was even with Green Buffalo and ahead of some of my fleet, I think. But I was physically exhausted. Mal de mer made every task a monumental achievement. With some effort I was able to get set up for the spinnaker and was ready to hoist. Green Buffalo was off my starboard bow and already had his chute flying beautifully. As I prepared to hoist I quickly realized that my halyard was fouled in a way that has happened once before. Hard to explain the halyard issue, but it took two extra sheets and some effort to free it the first time it happened, and that was while tied to the dock. There was no way I was going to try to free it in the rolling seas feeling as exhausted as I was. So I decided to attempt to make it without the spinnaker. I was feeling pretty dejected. Yes, I know that I should have a spare halyard......but I don’t. I will definitely rig a spare before the next race.

    The wind backed making my heading uncomfortable and when it dropped to 3 knots for 45 minutes I realized that it would be well past midnight, at best, before I finished. I pulled the plug and fired up the engine. Made it back to the dock at 9:30. Will I do it again? The night of the race I would say no. The next morning I was at a “maybe”. Today I am ready for registration to open up for next year’s race, when I hope to have a settled stomach, and spare halyard, and a finish line greeting me in good time.

    Name:  283EAA82-4FF9-4BFB-9A83-B5C5B9EEDC1E.jpeg
Views: 213
Size:  2.11 MB
    Name:  A0E9A67B-B0A6-4B99-BF50-B9C02B7F8982.jpeg
Views: 208
Size:  2.07 MB
    Last edited by Ken Haas; 05-18-2021 at 08:39 AM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2009


    Thanks to everyone for the boat pics. Ken, that is a beautiful evening pic of the bridge.

    I am a fantastic vomiter despite all the OTC and prescribed meds. My solution has been to hydrate well two days before the event and late that evening eat a high protein meal like steak or fish. That way when the vomit-fest starts, the nutrition is deep in my gut. Sipping some pedialyte helps restore the electrolytes, too during the event. I prefer mixing the powder into a 16 oz of water.

    The "24 hrs of Farallones" awaits you next year!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2020


    Great photos -- thanks to all for sharing.

    Nice shot of Bombora's keel with Mile Rocks in the background in the Google Photos album.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts