Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: From the fat fingers of the racers

Default From the fat fingers of the racers

06.19.21 @ 1858 from Green Buffalo

The brisk breeze at the start carried well offshore... most of the way to the lightship.
    Doing my best to stay on the south side of the course and fleet... where "maybe" the light air is "narrowest".

A wee bit past the Farallones as I write this.
    There were a LOT of fishing boats around the rocks... a bit of weaving to avoid getting to close to them... and only some of them some of them show on AIS.
    Passed about 3 miles south of the rocks...

Wind now 7k (changed from #3 to #1 just past the lightship)...

Wind oscillating from 185mag to 210mag. Hard to sleep when the wind has the big oscillations every 10-20 minutes.

Ate Mary's Peunut Butter & Honey sandwiches... mmm mmm good!

Anyone catch my needing to raise the main 3 times before the start? A long story... I had to raise the main 3 times just before the 2012 start too.
    A story for Tree.

Cheers,
    Jim
    Green Buffalo
    Last edited by Philpott; 06-19-2021 at 07:08 PM.

Go Jim Go!

Is this where all the racer’s reports will be posted?

Quote Originally Posted by bobwalden View Post
    Is this where all the racer’s reports will be posted?
    Hi, Bob. It is where I will post the reports that come my way as a member of the race committee. As you may have noted from the luncheon, everything is evolving. That's what happens when you have a sailing club that is dependent upon the kindness of strangers. Good thing there is a lot of kindness out there.

06.20.21 @ 0624 from Will Lee s/v Sea Wisdom

Good morning SHTP. My wife, Chloe, posted on Facebook for me already. Here is your personal copy.

William Lee is at Pacific Ocean, Public

Day 1, June 19, "You got a spare?"
    The first day was full excitement. Many thanks to my family and friends sending me off from StFYC to the Golden Gate Bridge. It was blowing 20-25 knots at the starting line. I put on a reef and and started my race. The initial passage was a wet one. I had water coming in through the closed hatches. I decided to head west and aiming to pass Farallon on starboard. Along the way, a whale came up and took a deep breath. I could feel the vibration from her spout. Just when I get to enjoy the ocean at the Farallon. I noticed on the current gauge that something was drawing 6 amps when I was not using any electricity. I shut down the breaker and saw that bilge light was on. But the bilge pump was not pumping any water. The bilge pump was relatively new. Good thing that I carried the old bilge pump as a spare. There is no way I would want to keep sailing if there is no electric bilge pump. Changing the bilge pump at sea at the Farallon was not an easy task because I haven’t gotten my sea legs yet. The pump was buried deep in the boat that I had to do some acrobatic move to replace it. The whole ordeal took 3 hours to fix. Lesson learned here is that there is never too many spares. Once I passed Farallon, I kept sailing on the same closed haul port tack on a WSW direction. The wind is light, 8 to 13 knots from the SSW. I’m hoping I can get to the NW synoptic wind soon, may be Sunday night? I haven’t had anything to eat for 24 hours, I’ve been drinking water. Through out the first night, I saw about 5 commerical ships. So there wasn’t much sleep either. I set my alarm every hour to 2 hours.

Today is Father’s Day. Best wishes to all the dads out there.

1) You can follow along via the satellite trackers for each boat. I’m Sail #42, SEA WISDOM.
    https://www.jibeset.net/tv.php
    2) Live tracking with weather information:
    https://forecast.predictwind.com/tra...play/SeaWisdom

Signing off
    Will
    S/V SEA WISDOM

Good morning SHTP. My wife, Chloe, posted on Facebook for me already. Here is your personal copy.

William Lee is at Pacific Ocean, Public

Day 1, June 19, "You got a spare?"
    The first day was full excitement. Many thanks to my family and friends sending me off from StFYC to the Golden Gate Bridge. It was blowing 20-25 knots at the starting line. I put on a reef and and started my race. The initial passage was a wet one. I had water coming in through the closed hatches. I decided to head west and aiming to pass Farallon on starboard. Along the way, a whale came up and took a deep breath. I could feel the vibration from her spout. Just when I get to enjoy the ocean at the Farallon. I noticed on the current gauge that something was drawing 6 amps when I was not using any electricity. I shut down the breaker and saw that bilge light was on. But the bilge pump was not pumping any water. The bilge pump was relatively new. Good thing that I carried the old bilge pump as a spare. There is no way I would want to keep sailing if there is no electric bilge pump. Changing the bilge pump at sea at the Farallon was not an easy task because I haven’t gotten my sea legs yet. The pump was buried deep in the boat that I had to do some acrobatic move to replace it. The whole ordeal took 3 hours to fix. Lesson learned here is that there is never too many spares. Once I passed Farallon, I kept sailing on the same closed haul port tack on a WSW direction. The wind is light, 8 to 13 knots from the SSW. I’m hoping I can get to the NW synoptic wind soon, may be Sunday night? I haven’t had anything to eat for 24 hours, I’ve been drinking water. Through out the first night, I saw about 5 commerical ships. So there wasn’t much sleep either. I set my alarm every hour to 2 hours.

Today is Father’s Day. Best wishes to all the dads out there.

1) You can follow along via the satellite trackers for each boat. I’m Sail #42, SEA WISDOM.
    https://www.jibeset.net/tv.php
    2) Live tracking with weather information:
    https://forecast.predictwind.com/tra...play/SeaWisdom

Signing off
    Will
    S/V SEA WISDOM

06.20.21 @ 12:04 from Kyle Vanderspek aboard Aloha

good afternoon on sunday the 20th, all is well and fine aboard aloha.

1209 pm on 062021 from Robb Walker s/v Nozomi

Nozomi checking in. So far so good...

As check-ins, these are good for us to get. However, pre-programmed responses won't be posted here any more.
    Last edited by Philpott; 06-20-2021 at 12:23 PM.

although this message from Falk, s/v Shark on Bluegrass suggests some kind of mayhem

Wind and food from directions. Light weather 5-8 kn. All good
    Falk

NEarly all the boats are checked in today, waiting on two but hours to go.

A note from Seawisdom:

Dear SHTP RC,
    Confirming receipt of position report. I’m doing well. Slowly getting adjusted to life aboard. You probably have seen my log on replacing a burnout bilge pump south of the Farallon. Seems like I’m the southern most boat. Everyone else are up north and further west than me. I hope I’m making the right decision, LOL!
    Thank you!

From Jamie Wylly

20 Jun Northern Star manual daily check in. Northern Star in good condition; Jamie alive, healthy, and in great spirits. Many thanks for the great start and sendoff yesterday