Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: From the fat fingers of the racers

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    July 23 From John Wilkerson s/v Perpexity
    Still pretty slow going but supposed to improve tonight or tomorrow as a front with rain comes through. Jim is still stuck. Jamie is hopeful he'll finally be able to turn W. I can go W or N (but not NW) and will probably go N to play it same in terms of avoiding further highs.
    One hopes Jamie will be choosing to turn East, not West, or his return passage is going to be much extended.

Saturday July 24
    Rolling down the highway

Yesterday I "thought" we had broken out of the high and with the end of motoring. Turned out to be a bit of a head fake. We motored and sailed on and off last night... wind varying between 4k and 14k. Had me a bit unsettled knowing we were down to our last 30 gal of diesel - and now likely down to our last 20-22 gal. But with the wind "really in" since this morning (11k-16k), and our rolling down the rhumb line at 7k+ boat speed, all is good. We have enough fuel to motor over 150 nm, and with this wind (and likely more... maybe 20k+ in the next day or two), we are good to "re-enter" civilization - likely mid afternoon to early evening this Tuesday (which would make this a 16 day passage... relatively short for the Buffalo).

Its still t-shirt and shorts on deck... but there is a chill in the air. Crew debating if we pull out the long johns tonight or tomorrow.
    We are starting to get a bit of water across the foredeck - but not all that much as we beam reach through modest seas.

Mac and Cheese with string beans and albacore for dinner tonight (lunch today was albacore tuna fish sandwiches :-) ).

Last...
    Finished electronic book #8... none (electronic) left... so borrowed a paper book on Winston Churchill from Ian (one of the crew) today that should keep me busy till Monday.

Cheers,
    Jim
    Green Buffalo

This from Green Buffalo on Sunday 6:37 pm

Swerving thru the Moguls

Its bumpy.
    16k-22k of wind and irregular seas/swells of 8 feet or so with another 2 to 3 feet of wind waves on top. Cooking has become a high risk position on the boat.
    Making near 8k - so good speed toward the coast. We likely have another 24-36 hours of this "rough riding" - and then the wind will die for the final 12 hr or so motor in past the Farallons and to the Golden Gate.

Not much one can do in these "wet and bumpy" conditions. The cockpit is wet - and more wet with a good wave coming through cleaning the decks every few minutes. Though given we are in gale alley, these are pretty mild conditions - allowing us to have a full main and working jib (funny we have used the same two sails the whole trip... never changing a headsail since hanking on the working jib in Hanalei.

Dinner was miniature ravioli's via Chef Boy R Dee mixed in with some stray pasta and red sauce.

320 miles to the Gate... under 48 hours... maybe to the dock Tuesday in the late afternoon?

Cheers,
    Jim
    Green Buffalo
    Last edited by Philpott; 07-26-2021 at 11:38 AM.

Monday/Today @ 4:23 pm from Mr Quanci

Burgers and Burritos on our Minds

Its still bumpy. And windier. 18k-27k. Thankfully we put the first reef in last evening expecting the wind gods to give us a spanking before letting us enter the Golden Gate. The wind is helping bring us home swiftly... about 190 nm under the keel in the last 24 hours... and still charging ahead. Only 150 nm to the Gate - and at this 8k (boat speed) clip - less then 20 hours. But... the cut-off Low is still ahead of us... so speed will drop... maybe hit the Gate at 3pm or so - and dock at RYC an hour or two later?

At midnight last night a tanker bound for LA based us close by... within 6 boat lengths... now this ship was 397 meters long... so 1.5 nm astern. :-)
    The AIS is so nice to have... alarm when we got close, providing CPA (Closest Point of Approach) and much more.

Crew is chomp'in at the bit to get home... its been 15 days at sea and the last few so so bumpy and wet. Everyone mentioning their wives... Mary, Rene and Evelyn.
    Talk of food... Ian wants a burrito and Jeff and I are going for the cheeseburgers (In 'n Out or Super Duper?). Dinner tomorrow night on the hard!

Dinner tonight - "The Last Supper" - is Chili on a bed of rice. A little strange? Yes ones appetite changes at sea.

Last...
    We have started getting VHF traffic on channel 16. Hearing the Coast Guard in Monterey and San Francisco from 150 nm out. Makes one feel right at home.
    And we plan to pass closely by SE Farallon Island tomorrow morning so Jeff can get hits first good look at the "Devil's Teeth".

Cheers,
    Jim
    Green Buffalo

Fresh sea breeze and sandwiches made with love by a woman - yes, this is an indescribable feeling. I am an avid yachtsman and I tell you that this is a great description of a yacht trip. I quite often use miami boat rental and like to sail towards the sun at dawn, and then, when the water around me does not allow me to see the shore, drink morning coffee with sandwiches from my beloved wife. It's really an indescribable feeling! This is how I 'm going to spend my day next weekend ! Write more about it!
    Last edited by waliwiw; 11-15-2021 at 04:18 AM.