Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: From the fat fingers of the racers

1146 on June 21, 2021 this from Bill Stange on s/v Hula:

There's a bird spending the night on the ship's bell. He's a very good listener.

1203 on June 22, 2021 from Brendan Huffman on s/v Siren:

Great day on siren.

From Reed Bernard on s/v Mountain 06.22.21 @ 1230

Hello. Mountain daily checkin groovy.

Thanks for passing these along.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

1724 on 06.22.21 Green Buffalo sent this

Another busy last 24 hours.
    After reaching all night under the big (155%) jib top... come morning the wind went aft... "aha now the wind swings toward Hawaii" - but I was wrong.

Flew the kite 8 hours only to be steadily headed. Strange... looked at gribs a second time... aha, the wind turning east around the bottom of the low.

Time to drop the kite and back to the jib top. I am getting too old for this... back and forth several times between cockpit, mast and bow... dragging sails, dragging lines, getting everything ready for the kite hoist and jib top douse. Oh and don't forget untangling and hoisting the spinnaker net... and then reversing all this late in the day.

Good thing I went back to the jib top... over night the wind varied from 14k to 24k from 80 to 110 degrees apparent. Perfect for jib top... ugly for a kite.
    So reaching along under jib top for 20 hours making great time straight to my "waypoint".

Am I going to far south or not south enough? Time will tell. Getting a grib as I sent this email that will tell me more...

Food... grapes, raisins, about to cook another 2 cups of rice plus a ramen cup of soup. "Real food" will need to wait till we get off tis "bumpy" reach. Tomorrow? Maybe Tortellini? Cheese and crackers?

Still overcast.

Cheers,
    Jim
    Green Buffalo

So there I am in the Safeway parking lot when I get a text from Will Lee. Yeah, that Will Lee. The sailor out there on that pretty red boat. The one who replaced his bilge pump at the Farallones in significant wind.

His expensive equipment has flaked out, so he's texting the race committee? Which is fine. This is so SSS: resourcefulness and problem solving required: McGyvering it. These stories. They’re something.

From Will Lee s/v Sea Wisdom @ 1654 on 06.22.21

Hi Jackie, good afternoon. This is Will from Sea Wisdom. My email system is acting up and takes me hours to send and receive email msgs. So I’m switch to texting as my primary way of communicating with other people. I informed Brian about this already. Just in case if you don’t know it yet. Thanks for your email. Because you don’t have Facebook, I can text you my daily blog entry.

Day 3, June 21, "It’s getting hot here in the doldrum."

Day 3 began with light wind, and the sun came out for the first time since last Saturday. The wind was so light, there were actually more work on the boat. I had to make every slight adjustments to the sails in order to take advantage the occasionally rare but short lived breeze. For example, spending 30 minutes to set up the whisker pole to only use it for a few hours before taking it down.

I made some fresh water today using the water maker, and was able to make sparkling water from the ocean with my Sodastream! I don’t need to carry any plastic water bottles. I even added some EmergenC to the homemade sparkling water, then I get to drink soda that is healthy.

I started the morning with a nori ginger soup to warm up my body. The ginger helps me getting my sea legs. To celebrate the change to warmer weather today, I modified the Beef Stroganoff to have Cajun spices. At noon, the color of the ocean is deep and dense blue, amazing to watch each of the 10 foot swell goes underneath the boat ever so quietly. I went from wearing 5 layers of fleece and foul weather gear to just wearing a think base layer.

Around noon time was when I receive the position report from the race committee on where all the racers are. Oh boy, was I wrong about picking the southern route. Here I was getting stuck and trying to figure out a way out of the doldrum. I am in one of the last places in the race.

The NW wind finally came in the late afternoon. I could not be happier. There are still 1900 miles to go, so anything could happen. My number 1 priority is to get to Kauai safely.

I have more gear issues to deal with. The Iridium Go system is not able to send and receive email reliably. I spent hours trying and I got lucky a few times. But texting works. Also, the Gsrmin inReach is my spare satellite communicator and tracker. It decided not to work anymore. At least I still have 2 independent satellite devices that work, Iridium text and a handheld Inmarsat.

The block holding the starboard jib sheet is showing some metal fatigue because when there was no wind, things get banged around. If that block fails, I have a few other blocks that can do the work. Having redundancy and spare parts are so important when I need to be self sufficient.

Name:  Will on Sea Wisdom 3.png
Views: 881
Size:  664.7 KB
    Last edited by Philpott; 06-22-2021 at 08:10 PM.

062221 @ 2207
    Reed Bernhard s/v Mountain sends this:

Greetings from Mountain, where the ship smells of feet and the Captain wishes he smelled half that good.

All is well here - Mountain and I are working hard. According to the latest fleet position reports though, so is everyone else! Really fun race so far- just hitting my stride. Taking naps, tweaking the sails, making repairs, enjoying the view.

Many thanks to all who helped with our prep the last few days leading up to the start.

Hi Grady!

1050 on 062321 from John Wilkerson s/v Perplexity:

All well on board the good ship perplexity.

and later in the day

Hi Brian

I was having some email issues but was also sending the go track message everyday. Anyway, things are going well out here. I haven't received competitor updates in a few days but I've never looked at them and don't think I will. I am just going to sail my race. I have a mast sail track issue at the moment, but checking with the company. I'm hoping it's not a problem and I'll be able to shake the reef out soon.

Still cloudy and cld at night but its warming up!

from Falk @ 1202 aboard Shark on Bluegrass:

All well, smooth sailing 12 kn, beam reach, sunshine ...

From Bill Stange aboard Hula

No spinnaker, no 7 knots, and alas, no more bird companion. For two days we shared music, stories, and hemp seeds..