Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: From the fat fingers of the racers

1352 from the Buffalo Man

First... took me over an hour to send email via Iridium GO! yesterday. Something was "amiss" with the Iridium satellite network. After a lot of patience and retries it all went through. Maybe less satellite coverage over the ocean... or maybe older slower satellites over the ocean? Just guessing.

Things that go bang in the night.
    Wind was in the 20k's - peak 29k - most of the night reaching along under jibtop. "Bang!" That didn't sound good but nothing obvious. An hour later "bang" again. hmmm

When the sun rose... the boom vang bracket to the mast had broen two of its four "wings/tabs". Unreliable butt welds... sign.
    A few spanish windlasses with spectra and looks "good enough" - but time will tell. Broke these same welds in the 2018 PacCup. Time to talk to the fabricator (Robb of Nozomi told me so back in 2018).

Four days and still nor running under chute... unusual. Due to the High being so far south have not yet made it to its southeast quarter where the wind swings (and I swing west). Tonight or tomorrow for sure "kite up".

The sun peaked out today and then went away... 4 days overcast... getting old.
    It is getting warmer... after 4 days in the same long johns, today was a "wipey" shower below deck - and a fresh pair of long johns... boy does that feel good! Boy did I stink! Maybe tomorrow or more likely the day after a real fresh water shower in the cockpit?

Sardine sandwich for lunch. Thinking tortellini with red sauce for dinner.

Cheers,
    Jim
    Green Buffalo

from Will on Sea Wisdom @ 1205 today, June 24, 2021

Greetings SHTP RC, It seems like my email system likes to function in light wind area! But I need wind, please send me some
    This is for June 24 POL.

Wish everyone the best,

Will

Response from SHTP RC: Dear Sir, We have escalated your complaint to those with higher pay grades.

From Falk on SOB today @ 1245

Shark POL 06/24 all well, found the pacific night ! Slow progress. Might send another POL version that is suck in my email outbox. Messing around with my iridium go

1312 from Bill Stange on Hula:

Hey,. I was going 7 knots an hour ago, and now I can row my El Toro faster than this!

From Kyle aboard Aloha today at 1318

im alive! now if only the wind had as much energy as lunch just gave me.... cheers, Kyle

Oh dear. Time for that shower. Time to read War and Peace.

Name:  1038 on 062421.jpg
Views: 784
Size:  198.1 KB

Over on Faceplant, Will posted that he's already taken two hot showers. Maybe three by now.

Looks like there is going to be a re-start mid course.
    Animation shows a couple more light days.
    Frustrating!!!

From Bill Stange on Hula @ 0116

To pre-answer some of my Seattle friends: Yes I did go for a quick walk on the gyre but I didn't buy anything.

1225 on 062521 from Brendan Huffman s/v Siren

Siren is chillin on a gorgeous day out here