Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: In Hanalei Bay

I was looking at the picture and thinking what a nice looking boat. I bet I could race that ... Then looked closer ☺️
    Thanks for sharing the picture, I'm so glad to see DE still doing good!

Nawiliwili again. On my afternoon marina walk I get through the unlocked gate of 200 dock and see this beautiful red boat. Hard to believe it has a bad rudder.

Name:  Sea Wisdom.JPG
Views: 1159
Size:  2.97 MB

Further down to starboard is this sleek Westsail 32 with skipper Bill on board. As I click this his better half Darlene walks up.

Name:  Hula.JPG
Views: 1256
Size:  3.05 MB

Earlier today at Poipu Beach we meet this guy.

Name:  Turtle.JPG
Views: 1177
Size:  1.09 MB

Miscellaneous photos from the past several days:

The Kahuna at work on the deck of the condo

Name:  The Kahuna at Work.jpg
Views: 1175
Size:  273.6 KB

The view of the finish line with Brian's Yagi antenna made from arrow shafts

Name:  View from condo with Yagi.jpg
Views: 1151
Size:  201.8 KB

Hula's finish

Name:  Hula's finish.jpg
Views: 1109
Size:  178.1 KB

A view from the Condo at Dawn

Name:  Dawn at Condo.jpg
Views: 1118
Size:  200.5 KB

Margie Wood and Brendan Huffman

Name:  Margie and Brendan.JPG
Views: 1136
Size:  226.2 KB
    Last edited by Philpott; 07-10-2021 at 03:22 AM.

Yes, yes, and we have photos of the sailors and stories about them, too. But we want to give them copies of the 8 x 10" color photographs Erik Simonsen took of them at the start, and they haven't seen them yet. So those will show up here once the racers have seen them first. In the meantime:

Here are Robb Walker and Jim Quanci

Name:  Robb and Jim.jpg
Views: 1154
Size:  196.8 KB

Greg and Cliff fixing Will's rudder. Said Will, "But Bob promised me it wouldn't happen again! He PROMISED!"

Name:  Greg and Cliff fixing Will's boat.jpg
Views: 1137
Size:  448.1 KB

Here is Mary Lovely with friends Ian and Rene. Ian is crew on Green Buffalo back home and this time upon her return

Name:  Mary Rene and Ian in Hanalei.jpg
Views: 1160
Size:  352.4 KB

Christine Weaver interviewing Falk Meissner.

Name:  Christine Interviewing Falk.jpg
Views: 1133
Size:  435.9 KB

At Tree Time, sitting with his wife, Vanessa Valdez, Falk let slip the cost of shipping Shark on Bluegrass home. Vanessa looked at him in shock. We looked at Falk. Avoiding her eyes and with a straight face he said to the group at large, "I've not been completely explicit about costs."
    Last edited by Philpott; 07-10-2021 at 04:03 AM.

Cliff Shaw, winner of the 2021 Singlehanded Transpacific Yacht Race, multi hull division

Name:  Cliff at Tree Time 070821.jpg
Views: 1103
Size:  123.9 KB

In the finest SSS tradition, closing down Tahiti Nui. John Wilkerson, Brian, Synthia, Jamie Wylly, Greg and Jackie. Thank you to Jamie and John for picking up the tab.

Name:  Closing down Tahiti Nui.jpg
Views: 1147
Size:  236.7 KB
    Last edited by Philpott; 07-15-2021 at 02:27 PM.

Getting ready to carry all the trophies down to the River: Lee is doing laundry, Synthia is wearing a dress (!!), Brian is eating spicy poke, and Greg is drinking coffee.

We have burgees and belt buckles. Immediately after we arrived Brian cursed : "I forgot the buckles". Of course we didn't believe him because ... Kahunas don't make big mistakes. But it was the truth.

He called Simin Imen, his wife at home in Los Gatos, who crawled around in the garage carrying her iphone. She face timed Brian and they found the buckles. Finally.

We owe Simin big time because she drove to the Post office and sent them priority mail. So they're here.

In the meantime, here are some photos from July 2

Brian aboard s/v Pamela

Name:  Brian aboard Pamela.jpg
Views: 1132
Size:  41.6 KB

Greg and Syn

Name:  Greg and Syn on Pamela.jpg
Views: 1094
Size:  192.4 KB

Dennis aboard, playing guitar

Lee and Brian chatting
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Philpott; 07-15-2021 at 01:24 PM.

Christine just sent this over from Latitude 38: https://www.latitude38.com/lectronic...ic-race-awards

Default What Happened in Hanalei Bay?

Okay, where was I? Oh, yes, before the racers arrived there was a race committee meeting on the s/v Pamela. I was already out there chatting with Dennis and we invited everyone else to come visit, too. Here is our host

Name:  Dennis smiling.JPG
Views: 941
Size:  146.9 KB

Dennis had no food, but Tom Boussie was in town for another day, and he texted "What can I bring?" The response? "Food". So he did. He brought a ton of delicious barbeque chicken and beer, too. Here he is chatting with Lee's niece, MJ

Name:  tom and MJ.JPG
Views: 997
Size:  196.3 KB

Someone brought rum. Dennis and Synthia mixed up a 2021 batch of the Official SSS Mai Tais.

Name:  Syn and Dennis.JPG
Views: 976
Size:  235.2 KB

Then we all got back into the Sea Squirrel and Synthia dropped us off at Black Pot Beach boat launch (not really a launch, but close enough to shore for us to wade in).

Kuhio Highway, the connection between Hanalei Bay and Princeville, where the condo was located, had a restrictive enter and exit schedule. Monday - Friday you could drive between Princeville and Hanalei from 5:30-6:30 am, once again in the middle of the afternoon for an hour, then after 5:30pm until 11 pm when it closed completely. Weekends the road crews managed cars into and out of the towns every hour. The cars were lined up all the way back to the Princeville Village, but almost everyone was a good sport about it.

What did this mean for your intrepid race committee? Did we tell the sailors that they had to hove to offshore until we could arrive in the morning? No way.

We walked the three blocks from the old hotel, down the 194 steps to the beach below the hotel, through the deep dark jungle,

Name:  Jungle.png
Views: 1013
Size:  794.8 KB

arriving at the slippery rocks abutting the Mighty Hanalei River. Then we waited for the arrival of Lee on his dinghy, the Robert Parker, or Captain Synbad upon the glorious Sea Squirrel II.

Name:  Captain Synbad.png
Views: 983
Size:  753.0 KB

If you detect an obsession with small motorized dinghies, you would be correct. We were heavily dependent upon them. In the future I would recommend that sailors be advised to bring their own dinghies, and to use them.
    Last edited by Philpott; 07-15-2021 at 02:11 PM.

My drybag, swim fins and goggles got frequent use back and forth to Archimedes.

I also recall having Sea Squirrel 1 tied up to to the an anchored boat and having to swim out and back after use. The tiger sharks liked my dusk swims more than I did ; )

Default Photos from the Start by Erik Simonsen/ Pressure Drop

Only five per post, so be patient

Name:  2021SHTP-1.jpg
Views: 942
Size:  235.6 KB

Name:  2021SHTP-2.jpg
Views: 950
Size:  197.8 KB

Name:  2021SHTP-3.jpg
Views: 936
Size:  233.2 KB

Name:  2021SHTP-4.jpg