Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: In Hanalei Bay

Default High Drama on the Water

Have you heard the story about the rudder failure on the Hinckley during the 2019 LongPac? There's a video about that somewhere.

Oh. Here: https://vimeo.com/347607793

Well, it failed again on the way to Hawaii. And so the skipper has to make the hard decision: to put in at Nawiliwili or finish the race? Being a prudent sailor, he's torn.

Name:  2021SHTP-12.jpg
Views: 1412
Size:  169.2 KB

And then

Lee Johnson s/v Morning Star and Cliff Shaw s/v Rainbow, who are anchored in Hanalei Bay, immediately offered to accompany him to Nawiliwili once he finishes the race. If he finishes the race. Brian and Greg immediately got on the internet and started problem solving methods of repair.

The skipper of the Hinckley called Brian on the phone, asked if he could obtain a 6" by 3/16" bolt. Brian was standing just outside the Princeville Ace hardware and said, "Yes". Went inside and there it was: the bolt needed by the Hinckley skipper. And so it goes.

The next installment will be: Will Lee and Sea Wisdom Meet the SHTP. What Happened out There? Stay tuned.

Thank you to Erik Simonsen of Pressure Drop for the photo

Default Shark on Bluegrass

Falk arrived last evening, his anchor rode in a rat's nest. His wife, Vanessa Valdez, went along on the Sea Squirrel II to collect him. His daughter Melina, sat up on the bow and helped him untangle it.

This morning Falk spoke with Brian. Brian asked if he felt okay about his boat's holding. Falk's response:

"I don't care if the boat drags. I don't care if it drifts out to sea. I'm done with that boat."

Name:  2021SHTP-23.jpg
Views: 1385
Size:  224.6 KB

Falk said every muscle in his body hurts this morning. He said he didn't know he had so many muscles.

Synthia and Greg are getting ready to walk down the road to the trail through the jungle, the jungle that leads to the Hanalei River. On the way down the 194 steps to the water edge you pass by the trail to the ruins of the old Club Med. Club Med is abandoned now, like Incan memories.

Once at the river Lee Johnson will meet them with his own dinghy, the Richard Parker. From there they go to Morning Star, where the Sea Squirrel II awaits. Jamie aboard Northern Star is due in @ 5pm with a spinnaker sock wrapped around the top of his headstay. This means that he has not been able to unfurl his jib.

Name:  2021SHTP-5.jpg
Views: 1336
Size:  193.3 KB

Thank you to Erik Simonsen of Pressure Drop

Is this a bad time for a lowball offer on an Olson 25?

I almost listed Rags with a broker in Honolulu. A month later I thought she was the most wonderful boat in the world.

Falk just needs a little time for the amnesia to set in.
    Last edited by BobJ; 07-07-2021 at 09:19 AM.

Last night we collected Will from Sea Wisdom at about 1 am. The water outside the bay was relatively quiet, the swell not so intimidating as earlier finishes, but this was a boat with no steering.

We collected him and it was quite a wonderful scene, and to pluck a sailor from an ocean that didn't care one whit about how beautiful was his boat? Quite an emotional experience. Cliff on s/v Rainbow stood by and so did the crew of the Sea Squirrel II. More about that later.

None of us had much sleep the night before, and this morning we started the ferry back and forth between boats early, too. so more about all that later, after a good night's sleep. Many stories, all of them terrific. For the time being, here is the tired but happy crew of the Sea Squirrel II in the sunshine of Hanalei Bay.

Name:  on the Sea Squirrel.png
Views: 1338
Size:  730.1 KB

MJ, Synthia and Greg
    Last edited by Philpott; 07-07-2021 at 04:56 PM.

Greg and Brian left in the car; got into the long line @ 1pm that snakes down into Hanalei 3x daily. Their mission? To fix Will's boat. We've been retrieving other people and their boats and I think both fellas were missing the hands-on, fiddle with this, tinker with that aspect of being around sailboats. They could hardly wait. Here's a photo

Name:  Will's rudder bearing gland.jpg
Views: 1380
Size:  82.7 KB

What does this photo tell us? I have no idea. Maybe Skip could make it a game. He's good about that.

Here's the beauteous Sea Squirrel II outbound on the Hanalei River

Name:  Sea Squirrel outbound on the Hanalei River.JPG
Views: 1808
Size:  443.0 KB

We have to give her back tonight. That is very sad because she has been particularly good, with her orange tie-died bimini and her big engine. Vroooom. Synthia and Greg have figured her out and drove her with a fine touch.

Kudos to not only the sailors of the 2021 SHTP, but also and especially to the RC and all hands who turned to to make the extra effort in providing an Aloha Welcome to Hanalei. In the finest tradition of SSS and the Singlehanded Transpac, you, Brian, Jackie, Greg, Synthia, Larry, Lee, Dennis, Christine and Jonathan, and others you know who you are, You have done yourselves proud. Well Done.

~skip aka sleddog

Actually not Hanalei but Nawiliwili. Arrived yesterday due to month's long reservation assuming awards ceremony might be here again. Not. On my afternoon walk of the harbor I was passed by Siren on a trailer heading out to be shipped home. Mountain was on 100 dock yesterday but is gone today, being delivered home? But there on 300 dock (aka the xSHTP Olson 30 dock) was Kato and this guy.

Name:  IMG_2340.JPG
Views: 1175
Size:  2.43 MB