Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 4-sided sails on Raid sailboat

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzler View Post
    Happy day! Look at that smile.
    Attachment 6698
    Ohhhh! Nice! Where did you find her? Did you have to drive across the country to get her?
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

The DKI was found for sale in a notice for the group email for the Salish 100 (small boat sail from Tacoma to Port Townsend). I thought about the purchase overnight and sent a deposit the next day. The pickup point next to SeaTac airport in WA, just two days ago.
    I enjoy a road trip.
    Yesterday was spent tweaking sail setup with the help of Dan Newland. Today, the boat is on display at the Pocket Yachters Palooza at NWMC.

The sail looking better. The yard attachment point was moved aft about 12-inches and puts the hoist point at about 40% of the yard length. The temporary lashing is used until it seems right, then the padeye moves.

Fun and cool in PNW.
    Ants
    Name:  4798C6FE-FA1A-42CA-8673-355C1A333FE2.jpeg
Views: 695
Size:  3.60 MB

Name:  4F46A6D5-3BC8-40D5-8CCE-9F91D7D25A13.jpeg
Views: 621
Size:  1.61 MB

Quote Originally Posted by AntsUiga View Post
    The DKI was found for sale in a notice for the group email for the Salish 100 (small boat sail from Tacoma to Port Townsend). I thought about the purchase overnight and sent a deposit the next day. The pickup point next to SeaTac airport in WA, just two days ago.
    I enjoy a road trip.
    Yesterday was spent tweaking sail setup with the help of Dan Newland. Today, the boat is on display at the Pocket Yachters Palooza at NWMC.

The sail looking better. The yard attachment point was moved aft about 12-inches and puts the hoist point at about 40% of the yard length. The temporary lashing is used until it seems right, then the padeye moves.

Fun and cool in PNW.
    Ants
    Name:  4798C6FE-FA1A-42CA-8673-355C1A333FE2.jpeg
Views: 695
Size:  3.60 MB

Name:  4F46A6D5-3BC8-40D5-8CCE-9F91D7D25A13.jpeg
Views: 621
Size:  1.61 MB
    Using lashings is great. It allows you to move things around, as you see. While it's very unlikely that you will move the sail enough to induce too much lee or weather helm, if you DO happen to get that result....just move the lashings!

Pretty boat...just a really lovely boat. I didn't know that one had been made in the PNW!

Congrats! Looks great.

She floats (finally)

Name:  0458D5B3-F14A-49DB-984B-BF4E35B918BA.jpeg
Views: 668
Size:  4.22 MB

She sails (but the vertical seam, flat cut sail is nothing to get excited about).
    Name:  D4D10F07-96D0-493F-ABDD-D3ABC362679E.jpeg
Views: 658
Size:  2.17 MB

Saling photo courtesy of ‘Thorne’ on the humboldt lagoon.

You might have overdone it a bit on the halyard tension in that photo. Ease off half an inch. When it's blowing 15+ you'll want it that tight. The Humboldt messabout is on my "someday" list!

Good eye - you are right. The sail controls are not up to snuff yet. The downhaul was borrowed from the Moore 24. It does not release easily, so I was in the lazy mode. The setting was ok for the beat to the upwind corner of the lagoon.

The rigging is being changes with each outing.

The best spot to sit during light airs is where the main sheet is attached to centerboard trunk. The main sheet will be moved and a thwart added. Details, details.

Those lagoons are a delightful place to sail (and camp).

Ants

My experience with boats “new to me” has been first to just try what’s there for a while without making changes. I often learn something. But then, I’ve also said it takes a few years to get everything just how I want it.

Love the picture and your adventure.
    Tom P.

Hi, Ants:
    I was recently clued into your posting here by Sleddog and finally got around to checking it out. Lovely craft and Stone and Big Lagoons are indeed a treat! I second Alan's recommendations for getting the best out of your "flat, 4-sided sail". ;-)

The slings we use on our Sooty Tern, WEE BONNIE, for the yard halyard, boom downhaul and mainsheet attachments are loops of dyneema. These are light, strong and can be shifted without too much travail. Good downhaul tension and an easily adjusted outhaul on the boom facilitate tweaking all of those delightful strings. (You would not want to become bored, would ya?) Our downhaul is multi-part (I forget how many) but it is laying on deck in the second photo. On a breezy day, we need all of them parts to keep the luff taut.

I am looking forward to seeing the boat when you come this way.

cheers,

Craig

Name:  Big Lagoon 2019 1.JPG
Views: 542
Size:  228.6 KB

Name:  Looking forward at new pinrail on bulkhead.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  183.4 KB

Thanks to Tom and Craig for the additional comments.

My impression is that the prior two owners did not have the boat dialed in. One significant challenge is the skipper’s weight (200 pounds) and the weight of the boat when ready to sail (250 pounds). Additional ballast of 30-40 pounds was added next to centerboard - not sure why. For boat trim, the skipper needs to be within a foot of centerline, but as the wind increases, moving outboard to rail is useful. A tiller extension does a good job of keeping the tiller inhand, but the sail controls are not as user friendly. The space needs to be increased from main sheet from about 1 foot to 3 feet.

The sail controls do not operate smoothly while sailing. The 2:1 outhaul works while setting up, but is overloaded while sailing. Better blocks and more purchase and cleat placement are pending. A 3:1 downhaul was added, but the leads did not extend back far enough and line was old and did not run smoothly. The main sheet needs to run smoothly also.

The goal is to have all sail controls easy to operate from any location (so I can tweak them to my heart’s delight).

The mast partner did not follow the design. A light encounter with some overhead branches showed the construction deficiency. While the setup was quick to use, the lack of strength was shocking. The design used brass straps to spread the load and will be used.

Two photos of mast partner damage and reconstruction with additional support added to deck. Reconstruction is not finished yet.

But, it is all fun!
    Name:  BBDBA473-9258-4ABF-AF93-268B4B0A1592.jpeg
Views: 535
Size:  1.68 MB

Name:  867F8B0E-A821-45E7-893B-8EEACFEFB898.jpeg
Views: 499
Size:  1.90 MB