Thread: Soft Shackles

Default Soft Shackles

During the last couple of decades when soft shackles came into popular use, I missed them. I must have been fly fishing or riding motorcycles or something else.

I am trying to catch up. However, I find there are lots of variations for soft shackles.

Which ones are preferred? The spiced dyneema loop or the knotted versions or other…..

Are there a certain size or type that is useful to have on hand? For example, a 12- or 15- inch diameter loop with a block attached may be the impromptu preventer for a boom.

I have plans to run a pair with harken ratchamatic blocks for the spinnaker sheets at the rear pushpit.

Some comments will help me learn quicker.

Thanks
    Ants

Ants,

I like this style over the diamond knot https://www.animatedknots.com/soft-s...-knot-stronger. I’ve tested both - the diamond knot fails at a bit lower load, and displaces more before setting. At least the ones I tied did.

Sam

I have them all over the boat. I use the soft shackles with the knots for attaching blocks and sheets, and I use the loops for emergency attachments around spars and at the jib clew for attaching the whisker pole.

Maybe I'm impatient (well, I AM), but the soft shackles have become so inexpensive that I buy them instead of making them. Your favorite marine retail store has them in all sizes with load ratings on the packages. I've also seen batches of new ones at the Blue Pelican.

I turned to my splicing / rigging information, before looking to purchase. I have this habit of trying to learn a new technique. My favorite chandlery had a lot of out of stock notices for soft shackle type items. There were some interesting variations with metal buttons, metal hooks, but my need is something small in the 2-3 mm size to hold the outhaul close to boom on a 100sf sail.

Ants