Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Random Sailing, and Doggies!

Default Random Sailing, and Doggies!

Things have been slow here on the forum. Hopefully that's because everyone is out sailing.

13 months ago, a couple of us sailed down to visit Kynntana at Embarcadero Cove in Oakland. We walked over to the new Brooklyn Basin development to find a mid-afternoon snack and yes, a latte. (Warm milk - what's the point?) The commercial part of the Brooklyn Basin development was mostly finished and you could see the potential of it. I haven't been back, but yesterday a flyer came in the mail which stirred my interest. On Thursday evenings, Aug. 19 - Sept. 9th, the Oakland Symphony is playing four free outdoor concerts there. One might anchor near the "2" daymark at the west end of Coast Guard Island and enjoy a free concert - like McCovey Cove without the fly balls and craziness, or a Richardson Bay shoreside concert with its fleet of anchored boats listening in.

It would be a long day if you came from farther away, but perhaps reserve a guest slip in Alameda and make it the start of a sailing weekend!
    Last edited by BobJ; 12-23-2021 at 01:33 PM.

Also, it's time to plan the next SSS Cruise-Out for early November. After seven(!) years of doing it, Jackie is ready to hand off the planning responsibilities. THANK YOU JACKIE!

I'll be out of town the first week of November when it's often held, but I can help with the planning. Please contact me (or Jackie) for information about what needs to be done.

I know they've become a tradition but we might have different prizes...

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    .....but we might have different prizes...
    I've given out seven Captain Ron videos and never seen it myself yet (how elusive is joy!). And, regarding the music nights: If you remind us, we might come.
    Last edited by Philpott; 08-13-2021 at 12:07 PM.

We have a visitor for the holidays: Freya the wonder puppy, all the way from Colorado. She came with all sorts of instructions: No fraternizing with other dogs until she's fully vaccinated, meals at 7 am and 7 pm only, not too much running, her little joints are still developing, blah blah blah.

We've been running all over the neighborhood. That puppy can run! And she's so good about stopping and sitting at street corners. I give her a little treat every time. Liver treats!? Yuck. But she gobbles 'em up. Many streets. Many treats. And then? She wanted to see Dura Mater, so off we went!

She's already eyeing Nick Grebe's Santa Cruz 37 across the way: "Can we sail on that boat? Can we? Huh? Huh? That looks like a faster ride. Can we? Please? bark bark"

Name:  Freya on DM 121921 - Copy.jpg
Views: 478
Size:  327.6 KB

Awww, what a cutie! Does Freya have a brother or sister? Dura Mater needs a boat dog!

We loved Louie (the pug) but Louie did not like the boat. At all. Just NO.

I agree that Dura Mater needs a boat dog. The Voice of Reason agrees that DM needs a boat dog. Only problem is: The Voice of Reason thinks that Dura Mater’s boat dog should live aboard Dura Mater. Huh.

But I have an idea! DM’s boat dog can live aboard Surprise! She would only be one dock away, and it is a more prestigious dock, closer to the bigger, fancier boats. There would be lots more instruments and wood to chew on, too. We can talk, make plans for the new year. I like it, though. Thanks for the suggestion.

Name:  boat dog.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  260.0 KB

Sure, Larry talks a good line but I've been there. I resisted getting a dog for many years, since I grew up with a couple of labs that were high-maintenance and left dog hair everywhere. But then Louie came into our lives and I was a changed man. Louie was as dumb as a stump but we sure loved that little guy.

But anyway, on Surprise! what wood is there to chew on?

Oh wait... yeah, no, I think we'll take that suggestion under advisement.

I got a new boat dog. She's trained me to make her boarding process easy.Name:  FB_IMG_1640151557327.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  72.5 KB

That's a very attractive boat dog and I can see that you are coming along in the obedience arena. I found a tshirt for you, Stephen:

Name:  dog shirt.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  3.9 KB
    Last edited by Philpott; 12-21-2021 at 10:52 PM.

This thread is going to the dogs…….Santa also visited Koke Honu…Not sure if this 8 yr old Doxie likes sailing but I am going to give it a try with a warm delta trip and see….Marry Christmas Sailors….

Name:  4CCDE22D-4629-411F-8DC9-D5778C6D1EC8.jpeg
Views: 296
Size:  1.13 MB