Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drakes Bay 2021

Quote Originally Posted by jamottep View Post
    Thanks for the reminder. We tried but ran aground when trying to make our way to the fuel dock.

sqrt(40) = 6.32 kts
    I can't even get to that kind of boat speed on flat water ... So there's a good basis for protest anytime right there ...
    No worries PJ. My guess is 50% of the combined YRA and SSS fleet either didn't have enough fuel to motor 8 hours over 2 days, couldn't make the square root of LWL in feet in knots, or both. I haven't researched the question, but believe when racing in the ocean, the SSS and YRA fleets must follow OYRA safety rules. https://www.jibeset.net/show.php?RR=...DOC=X0&TYP=pdf Section 2.7.2

Is section 2.7.2 regarding motoring speed and time realistic for Gulf of the Farallons waters? Not for me to say.
    But there is a lot of shipping in our waters, and sometimes a need to get out of the way fast or approach or standby another boat in need of assistance.

FYI, I wasn't racing, but my view of Drakes 1&2 from Pt. Reyes is posted on the other thread, New Boat 4 Sled.
    Last edited by sleddog; 09-02-2021 at 01:48 PM.

Name:  Eyrie-Drakes-Bay-2021.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  2.15 MB

A little late with the post, but worth sharing this photo of Eyrie headed out the Gate while we still had high hopes of making it under sail to Drake's Bay last weekend.

Wowza, Thx Todd! Christine Weaver from Lat38 took this picture of Eyrie in 2015.

I wish that's what I looked like this year, coming in on the north side on port . But instead I was forced to the south side because of an XL ship exiting on the north side. Then got stuck in a pickle between two asym boats with no room to gybe back to stbd before the bridge, so on port going under the bridge and getting a XL helping of the bridge demon with none chance of gybing safely towards the finish line. A few swear words were uttered.

Name:  2015-Drakes Bay Sunday.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  30.1 KB
    Last edited by Eyrie; 09-07-2021 at 03:51 PM.
    Ride, captain ride upon your mystery ship. Be amazed at the friends you have here on your trip.
    Ride, captain ride upon your mystery ship. On your way to a world that others might have missed.
    ~ Blues Image

Oh, and I need a new mainsail.
    Ride, captain ride upon your mystery ship. Be amazed at the friends you have here on your trip.
    Ride, captain ride upon your mystery ship. On your way to a world that others might have missed.
    ~ Blues Image

Here is the (much defiled) flyswatter you gave me years ago in Drakes Bay, Syn. Maybe you need a mo bigga one to swat those pesky asym boats outa your way!

Name:  E8527CFB-645B-4F8C-BFF0-EACD6651AD39.jpeg
Views: 467
Size:  2.29 MB

Found this on my phone. Ray Irvine sent it during the Drakes Bay race, said something like, "It doesn't look like anybody is having fun". I started motoring at 2:30.

Name:  Drakes Bay Race 0828211.JPG
Views: 431
Size:  98.0 KB

Who were those other boats? I have no idea. Doomed to fail, all of us.
    Last edited by Philpott; 09-25-2021 at 07:56 PM.