Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Drake's Bay Race Information

Default Drake's Bay Race Information

The Drake's Bay Race is coming up in a couple of weeks. We have opened up race registrations on Jibeset, but there are no SIs posted yet. This is an unusual race for the SSS as it it is run by the YRA and we have minimal involvement in organizing or executing the race. As we await final docs from the YRA, the SSS RC thought that we should publish some basic information about the race for interested participants. SI's from the 2019 race can be found here: https://www.jibeset.net/show.php?RR=...DOC=si&TYP=pdf. Please use the 2019 SIs as a general guide as there will be changes to the 2021 SIs. Feel free to post questions on this thread. SSS RC

General Overview of Drake's Bay Race Format (subject to change!)
    - Drake's Bay I: Saturday Aug. 28; Drake's Bay II: Sunday Aug. 29
    - Basic course is SF city front <=> Drakes Bay, keeping outside of the Duxbury Reef buoy
    - Day 1 start and day 2 finish is off the Golden Gate YC (X buoy)
    - RC for day 1 start and day 2 finish will be members of the Berkeley YC
    - Day 1 finish and day 2 start is inside Drake's Bay
    - Drake's Bay finish/start line is between white buoy “DB” and the Pt. Reyes Fish Dock
    - RC for day 1 finish and day 2 start will be members of the Inverness YC
    - There will likely be committee boat at buoy “DB” for the day 1 finish
    - Day 2 start will likely be conducted from shore without a boat on station
    - There will be a VHF roll-call in Drake's Bay for all boats that finish and anchor overnight
    - Retirements on both days will be reported via the designated RC channels - DO NOT USE SSS EMAIL OR VOICEMAIL TO REPORT RETIREMENT (will not be monitored)
    - SIs will be posted on Jibeset on Monday Aug. 23; starting flags will be posted on Friday Aug. 27
    - There will be a SSS Zoom skippers' meeting on Wednesday Aug. 25
    - Registration for SSS participants is via Jibeset through the SSS Drake's Bay link
    - The YRA and SSS boats will be scored separately

I don't have a PHRF certificate. Can I use a rating from US Sailing for my class of boat?
    Never mind. Just got my answer from the NOR for 2021.
    Last edited by Steevee; 08-18-2021 at 12:44 PM.

Although, with 5 days to go, there are as yet no NOR or SI's for the Drakes Bay rally next weekend, I will make note that the NPS rangers are aware of the arrival and overnighting of a large, combined SSS and YRA fleet.

They have asked that I help make aware a very sensitive subject for the NPS territory at Pt. Reyes and inside Drakes Bay: No drones are to be flown. Drones are now de rigueur aboard many boats, and with the recent disaster at Bolsa Chica, as well as current visitation by migratory birds, including sooty shearwaters, please keep all drones grounded while at anchor.

Here's the Bolsa Chica story, when 3,000 elegant terns abandoned their nests due to a drone. https://www.audubon.org/news/a-drone...on-their-nests

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    Although, with 5 days to go, there are as yet no NOR or SI's for the Drakes Bay rally next weekend
    Ask and you shall receive. This from the SSS RC: SI s are being published by YRA and we will post on SSS jibeset as soon as we have them.

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Ask and you shall receive. This from the SSS RC: SI s are being published by YRA and we will post on SSS jibeset as soon as we have them.
    Promises. The lateness of presentation has led to confusion and unfamiliar doublehanders are registering at both YRA and SSS sites.
    Last edited by sleddog; 08-23-2021 at 05:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    I don't see where one is able to register for Drakes Bay through OYRA?
    https://www.jibeset.net/rlogin.php

Apparently you are welcome to race single or doublehanded in fully crewed OYRA races. If both the OYRA and SSS race the same course on the same day, it seems you could enter either. The starting times might be different, or not. Without hardcopy online instructions, it is hard to tell protocol. For example, CHANGABANG has entered OYRA and SURPRISE! has entered SSS, yet both are racing DH.

Trying to post from my iFone since we’re out of town…

OYRA’s SIs are up on Jibeset (Addendum 7).

You can blame Andy Newell and me for the concept, which we cooked up when I was the SSS Race Chair. But I take no responsibility for the present execution.

I do know that YRA put on the Vallejo Race last weekend and that draws down the Human Resources. Also, they’re using a combination of Berkeley Yacht Club, Inverness Yacht Club and perhaps even RegattaPro to plan the weekend. We have Tom and Tim - much simpler!

We’ll get there and back and a good time will be had. Dave is hoping to catch a salmon, per an e-Mail I received as he was taking off from Paris for DFW at 0200.
    Last edited by BobJ; 08-24-2021 at 10:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    OYRA’s SIs are up on Jibeset
    Thanks, Bob. Here you go, kids

Drakes Bay 2021.pdf

Default Update Drake's Bay Race Information

Updates to Drake's Bay Race Information
    - YRA has posted the SIs for the race (see attached)
    - Starting flags will be posted on Friday morning (per the YRA)
    - To race and be scored by the SSS, you must register through the SSS Jibeset portal (https://www.jibeset.net/JACKY000.php?RG=T00843218)
    - There will be a SSS Zoom skippers' meeting this Wednesday Aug. 25 at 7:30 PM (Zoom login: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/8682115996...NCamtZMkJVdz09)

- MAJOR CHANGES TO RACE FORMAT:
    - Day 1 start / Day 2 finish is off the St Francis YC, not the Golden Gate YC
    - There will not be a committee boat at Drake's Bay for the Day 1 finish or Day 2 start
    - You have to record your own finish time on Day 1 in Drake's Bay and report to shore-based RC
    - There will be RC onshore at Drake's Bay to receive finishers' times and to do a roll-call

- A reminder: This race is being conducted by the YRA, Berkeley YC, and Inverness YC. DO NOT USE SSS EMAIL OR VOICEMAIL TO REPORT RETIREMENT (will not be monitored)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tom,

Thanks for SI's. The PDF seems to not contain the referenced chartlet - I know this is a YRA doc .