Thread: love and restoring old boats for solo/shorthanded racing

Default love and restoring old boats for solo/shorthanded racing

Call me a sucker. I sure love the boats of my youth, the ones i read about that set the marks of quality and speed. The ones that my heroes sailed. The ones that need a bit of help getting back together. I have spent more time restoring boats than sailing them. each one a money losing proposition. A hard juggle considering the limited budget i always seem to have. They have kept me out of trouble, kept me faithful to my mission and satisfied my wanderlust for the beautiful or the seemingly unattainable girl.

Over the weekend I saw this Camper & Nicholson 47 built for the Ostar at the Rutherford yard. she is posted on craigslist. If i was to go into her, it would be at the cost closest to a newish J-Boat, a spiffy Antrim 27 or the like. Still it is nice to dream about bringing her back to race ready condition with new sails that fit.

Last edited by Black Jack; 08-31-2021 at 12:01 PM.
    Without friends, none of this would be possible.

Nice lines!

Darren is offline Enough to be safely dange

Definitely a beautiful boat. I see the attraction

I raced against Axel Heist in the early 80s... OYRA... I suspect Greg Nelson grew up crewing on her with his dad. She was a handful coming under the gate after a day racing in the ocean... classic slow motion roundups... :-)