Thread: HMB Race Information

Default HMB Race Information

Update on Upcoming HMB Race

The HMB Race is coming up in 10 days. Registrations are open on Jibeset with 22 boats registered to date. We have a Zoom HMB Skippers' meeting scheduled for next Wed. Sept 8 at 7:30 PM - look for an email or the SSS forum for login information.

The HMB Yacht Club is open and will be welcoming racers. Given Covid concerns, they may not be serving dinner on Saturday night, but at a minimum the club will be open, including access to the dock, YC deck, restrooms, etc. We will have final details about the availability of dinner on Saturday and breakfast on Sunday by the skippers' meeting next Wednesday.

As in previous years, there will likely be limited dock space available on the HMB YC floating dock, but there will be shuttle service available for nearby anchored boats, both on Sat. night and Sun. morning. Alternatively, slips are usually available at the Pillar Point Harbor - see the SIs for how to contact the harbormaster on arrival.

On a personal note, this is my favorite race of the SSS season. The interesting tactical course, the beauty of the HMB anchorage, the warm vibe of the HMB YC, and the chance to socialize with fellow racers all combine to make this a a terrific outing. I encourage all SSS members (and others) to join.

I look forward to seeing you out there!

Tom - SSS Race Chair

Hey Tom,

I am betting you will need the club radios. They are in the SHTP packing case. We need to transfer them over. BB

Well good luck racers..... bummed to miss another and that's the end to the season attempt for me.

Looking forward to this one! Any tips on where to anchor in HMB?
    Rebecca

Quote Originally Posted by tboussie View Post
    Update on Upcoming HMB Race

The HMB Race is coming up in 10 days. Registrations are open on Jibeset with 22 boats registered to date. We have a Zoom HMB Skippers' meeting scheduled for next Wed. Sept 8 at 7:30 PM - look for an email or the SSS forum for login information.

The HMB Yacht Club is open and will be welcoming racers. Given Covid concerns, they may not be serving dinner on Saturday night, but at a minimum the club will be open, including access to the dock, YC deck, restrooms, etc. We will have final details about the availability of dinner on Saturday and breakfast on Sunday by the skippers' meeting next Wednesday.

As in previous years, there will likely be limited dock space available on the HMB YC floating dock, but there will be shuttle service available for nearby anchored boats, both on Sat. night and Sun. morning. Alternatively, slips are usually available at the Pillar Point Harbor - see the SIs for how to contact the harbormaster on arrival.

On a personal note, this is my favorite race of the SSS season. The interesting tactical course, the beauty of the HMB anchorage, the warm vibe of the HMB YC, and the chance to socialize with fellow racers all combine to make this a a terrific outing. I encourage all SSS members (and others) to join.

I look forward to seeing you out there!

Tom - SSS Race Chair

You should be able to tie up to the floating dock with an E27.

Rebecca, There are mooring buoys you can rent from the Harbor Master -- if they are not taken. For anchoring, remember the "up" and "down" tide table. Don't get caught with your keel on the bottom at low tide. The bottom can be hard, so make sure the anchor's set firmly. Pat B.

I'm wondering ... Pillar Point harbor looks like a great starting place to organize multi days offshore races, with buoys off Santa Cruz, weather buoys West, some North. Room for nice triangle courses. You could get interest from SF and Monterey bay/SC. Is there a reason why the YC in Pillar Point isn't organizing keelboat races?

Default Darn Good Club

Quote Originally Posted by jamottep View Post
    Is there a reason why the YC in Pillar Point isn't organizing keelboat races?
    I was an associate member there for 29 years. I was sailing down the coast in the mid 80's, and stopped for the night; the commodore and treasurer were three sheets to the wind, and made me an offer I couldn't refuse.

Half Moon Bay Yacht Club is a great club in a prime location.
    They weren't always, but have evolved into a wonderful club and will continue to do so.

Other bay and coastal clubs have decades old established ocean races; what HMB does really well, is recruit new sailors while having races inside the outer breakwater in a variety of different boats, from Sabots to Cal 20s.
    HMB has kids camps and women only classes and races. A well rounded club.
    They have a robust membership and do quite a bit already compared to the other PICYA clubs.

If you join, they might let you organize an annual ocean race or series?

They also know how to do kick a$$ good party.
    The Sea is my Church; the Boat is my Pew.

To clarify, my question wasn't meant as a critique. I'm just trying to understand context.

About the HMB race, it was nice and slow again, at least for us ��
    Even on elapsed we got in 90 minutes after the first over the line ...
    Much can be said about not having the right upwind sail for light air, a dirty bottom, and hoisting too small a spinnaker. Hopefully, we're learning ;-)