Thread: e-rudder / transom-hung rudder

Default e-rudder / transom-hung rudder

The Wildcat's new owner doesn't want the offshore rudder I made for the boat. Since he's sailing on a lake in Texas, he'll just use the One Design lifting rudder. That means that the current rudder is available. I made this thing really strong. The construction process is documented on the forum, but it's solid core douglas fir strips with a layer of triaxial glass in epoxy over the whole thing. There's also a strip of linear carbon down each side. It's about the size of J-30/J-29 rudder. It would make a great emergency rudder for a 28-35 foot boat and would probably steer something larger under reduced sail.

It has gudgeons bolted on it but if you wanted to make a cassette system, you can just unbolt the gudgeons, pound some dowels in the holes, seal 'em with epoxy and you're good to go. It is, admittedly a bit on the heavy side, but it's bluidy strong.

Name:  IMG_3434.JPG
Views: 407
Size:  1.57 MB

$300
    Last edited by AlanH; 09-27-2021 at 06:45 PM.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Tiller available, too. Tell me that you're with the SSS and you get the tiller for free.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/bpo...386501551.html

If you're planning on SHTP 2023, this thing will steer your boat and satisfy the race rules. It probably won't steer a 45 footer, and it's too heavy for an <30 foot ultralight, but otherwise, should do a great job.

I'll keep it one more month and if nobody wants it, it gets chainsawed and put in the dumpster. Joan is getting tired of looking at it in the side-yard, and I am, too. $300, tiller included.

Darren is offline Enough to be safely dange

Before you chop it up and waste something that is perfectly functional I'd put it on consignment at Blue Pelican. Sure you won't get the money you want for it but someone will benefit from it and your not adding to the trash hep.

I haven't gotten out the chainsaw yet, nor have I gone to Blue Pelican. It's still sitting in my side yard. I just dropped the price to FREE.

If you're doing any offshore Pac Cup or SSS events and need an e-rudder, come and get it. It's probably too heavy for an Express 27 or Moore 24, would work great for a medium displacement 28 - 36 foot boat. I want to be clear about this..... you have to get in your car and drive to my house in Menlo Park to pick it up. No, I won't bring it to the next SSS meeting or race, I'm not doing SSS events any more! Well... I could meet you some Saturday at Alpha's berth in Oakland.
    Last edited by AlanH; 08-23-2022 at 08:33 AM.

Did some one already get the e-rudder? Just now saw the post

Quote Originally Posted by pfschmidt View Post
    Did some one already get the e-rudder? Just now saw the post
    It's been disposed of. This post was up for over a year ...fourteen months....and I finally gave up and took it someplace where someone might possibly make use of it, about a month ago.
    Last edited by AlanH; 12-31-2022 at 09:53 PM.