Thread: Vallejo1-2 berthing situation

Default Vallejo1-2 berthing situation

Hi all,

I've done a bunch of Great Vallejo and Jazz Cup races with a crew of 3 or 4. The overnight berthing situation in these crewed races is a large raft-up that, for a 35' boat, requires multiple hands to execute without risk incident. Lots of lines, fender adjustments, fending off and such, sometimes under time pressure as the next boat starts arriving. I haven't had any misfortunes, but there's usually some sort of chaos with a handful of boats on arrival and departure.

How do things tend to work for the Vallejo 1-2? I'm contemplating how to run around and get all the tasks done without unduly risking damage or injury on a larger boat. If there was a slip or a side tie, hey, great, no problem. But a Great Vallejo/Jazz style raft-up seems a little dicy on a bigger boat. What have your experiences been for singlehanded race berthing?

Thanks,
    John
    J/109 Lindo

Name:  IMG_8963.jpeg
Views: 420
Size:  453.9 KBName:  IMG_8960.jpeg
Views: 439
Size:  435.8 KB

A friend of mine who did the race several times, got tired of the raft, so he went to the adjoining municipal marina to get some sleep.
    It is short walk for some peace of mind.

Our fleet is less congested in there than YRA's GVR fleet, and you'll probably be one of the earlier arrivals. Yes, get the fenders and dock lines installed while you're still out in the river, rigged for both sides with the lines laid out where others can reach them. I bring my longer dock lines and two extra fenders (=6). Hang the fenders so they protect the rail vs. being low on the hull as you would in your slip - the early boats may be directed to slips but it's likely you'll be in a raft up.

If the current is running strong in the river you may need to approach the entrance a little hot, but quickly slow the boat to idle as you enter. Some skippers are used to coming in hot and using reverse to slow down - they're the ones who have problems in this place.

Normally the VYC has members stationed to direct traffic. That works until the basin is about half full and then it all goes to crap. But idle speed and heading for a spot with people standing around almost always works. We're used to helping each other.

Finally, with your 7' draft I'd be reluctant to go next door (to the muni harbor). The yacht club's basin is deeper in most places.

All sounds like great advice and very doable. Thank you. I guess all the extra motivation to finish sooner!

Bummer about the shoaling next door.

I've entered that channel when an incomprehensible ebb tide was running. It was wild to line up dozens of yards upstream and slide in like nothing was happening.

And if it's a flood, you can be rigging your fenders and see the Mare Island Bridge quickly coming at you. There's a story (it wasn't me...)

In the club's basin, the last I knew it got really shallow at the south end of the fairway closest to the shore (under the crane). As you enter, I'd tell the dock hands that you draw seven feet. Hopefully they'll have you dock med-style in front of the club.

I wonder if there might be a govt. agency that has a chart of dredging cycles around various marinas and moorings of the bay and delta?
    The Sea is my Church; the Boat is my Pew.

Default Happy Express 27 fleet at Vallejo 1-2

Name:  express 27 skippers at vallejo 1-2.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  2.97 MB

All these stoked Express 27 Skippers made it into the harbor. It was a real nice clambake, we all had a swell time.