Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Singlehanded Trans Pac 2023 Announcement

Default Singlehanded Trans Pac 2023 Announcement

The start of the 2023 SHTP race will start on Sunday, June 25.

We plan to post a General NOR in October.

We will make a SHTP chair(s) in December.

SSS Board

Quote Originally Posted by Submarino View Post
    The start of the 2023 SHTP race will start on Sunday, June 25.
    We plan to post a General NOR in October.
    We will make a SHTP chair(s) in December.
    SSS Board
    This is a good start date to get the full moon at about half way...It would be good if SSS/SHTP had a publicist who began immediately promoting the 2023 start date, the full moon, and other pertinent info in West Coast sailing rags and yacht club bulletin boards...If you are racing in 2023, you are racing now.

The NOR for 2023 was issued today on Jibeset without a 2023 Race Chair being involved? There were the same NOR errors repeated as in the past: 400 miles for the qualifying distance not stated to be nautical miles (this lack of specificity has caused previous anguish for the unaware with their GPS plotters/trackers set to the default of statue miles) As well, it was again un-noted multi-hulls and monohulls are not racing against each other for the Overall Corrected time win, and this coveted prize is only available to a monohull. This lumping together of multi's and monos in the results has caused confusion for those who do not know multis and monos are sailing under different handicap systems, as happened again this year. Apples and oranges.
    Last edited by sleddog; 11-12-2021 at 10:49 PM.

Thanks for pointing those items out. The New SHTP Race Chair and Board will have plenty of opportunity to make adjustments.

Except that those two items haven't been corrected for the last 2-3 SHTPs (or more). How hard would it be to go into the new NOR Word file and fix them NOW?

While you're here - I've been an SSS member almost continuously for 20 years. Over that time the Commodore has always done the race awards and the Treasurer has always done the shirts (and for the HMB race, caps or other hand-outs). It's part of the jobs you guys volunteered for.

But I know at least one first-time SH Farallones skipper who is still looking forward to receiving her sweatshirt from 2020's SHF. She posted Zoom comments about it during past meetings but nothing has happened. Status?
    Last edited by BobJ; 11-21-2021 at 06:01 PM.

Bob, are we grouchy in our retirement? The fact that we've picked a race date and published the NOR (imperfect as they are) within the same calendar year as the last race I view as an accomplishment. For sure these oversights will be fixed ASAP and ultimately well over 1.5 years before the actual race. With regards to responsibilities, I need to speak up as the job description for the Treasurer that I signed up for did not include shirts, etc., nor is it something I have the creative skills or interest in doing. All my RESPECT to previous Treasurers that have pulled off this double duty. I think it's certainly appropriate to have an individual with this sole responsibility so that we can have quality swag to participants in a timely manner. We are actively recruiting for such a person.

Sorry, Rebecca. Still no sweatshirt for you.

Not grouchy at all. Just thinking of the racers who paid the fees, assuming they'd get what we've received in the past. Kudos to Joe for getting a couple of shirts made and direct-mailed, but what about all the other shirts and awards?
    Last edited by BobJ; 11-21-2021 at 06:03 PM.

Congrats to SSS Commodore, Board, and tmrsailing for recently issuing SSS SHTP NOR 2023 v2.2 Nov 2021 on Jibeset . The new version of the 2023 SHTP Notice of Race with its appropriate additions, subtractions, corrections and rewording rights most, if not all past and present issues. Well Done, Everyone!
    Last edited by sleddog; 11-21-2021 at 04:38 PM.

And wasting no time, our new 2023 SHTP Race Chair, Mr. Hedgehog, will be in Kaua'i next week to reconnoiter!

In the meeting we were reminded of the obstacles Brian Boschma (outgoing SHTP Chair) had to overcome for this year's race to happen. A big thanks and mucho kudos for pulling it off despite the challenges.
    Last edited by BobJ; 11-21-2021 at 06:27 PM.