Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kynntana in the Pacific Cup 2022

For regular PHRF ratings* the Ratfox is correct. See IV - Ratings (assumptions), in particular section 11. d. (the sails) and VII - Adjustments to Base Ratings, in particular section 7. b. ("no credit" items) :

NorCal PHRF Rules and Guidelines

An aside: I don't know why the Freedom 38's base/standard rating is 138 and Kynntana's rating is 141, but the committee has the flexibility to make minor adjustments to determine an individual boat's "As Sailed" rating.

I'll make the observation that the spinnaker in the photos is a small reaching kite. With over half of the Pacific Cup (and SHTP) being DDW in the trades, you may want as large a running spinnaker as the rig dimensions will allow. These dimensions and the maximum area can be computed from the linked rules and guidelines. Then articulate the tack aft using a pole and guys. We will almost certainly do this on Surprise!. Pole on A2

*The Pacific Cup is sailed using Downwind Ratings (for PHRF boats). The boat's DW rating is calculated based on the largest spinnaker used, along with all the other rating factors. As Greg suggests, it could be to Kynntana's advantage to take no spinnaker at all if the DW rating is favorable in that configuration, especially if the only spinnaker aboard is the little sail in the photos and you can't get it out of the wind shadow from the main. When Ragtime! raced in the Pacific Cup, I purchased a rating analysis to determine the optimal spinnaker configuration under DW ratings. This was much less expensive than buying another sail.

Edit: I dug a little deeper in the current PHRF database. Kynntana currently has a Downwind Rating of 634 with no spinnaker. That's about the same DW rating as Rebecca's Express 27 Bombora. Yeah... Bombora probably weighs the same as Kynntana's toilet paper inventory. So you have to get your DW rating checked. The Express 27s, nearly all of which have identical "ODR" (one-design) ratings for regular PHRF, carry downwind ratings of anywhere from 607 for Shenanigans to 635 for Bombora. How can that be?
    Last edited by BobJ; 11-07-2021 at 08:45 PM.

How does one know whether the rating is affected by the type of spinnaker or even the presence of one?
    As Bob already checked your current rating does not take into account a spinnaker at all. As Bob mentioned again, it would be of little benefit to carry the small, bow tacked, spinnaker as it would get little use and cost you a rating hit. I'd pay the PHRF fee to get the rating changed with a max sized spinnaker. Then you'd know the max rating hit for a standard spinnaker and can work backwards from there. A smaller spinnaker would be a smaller hit but none would be worth carrying if you can't get the tack back on a pole and sail deep.

To clarify, Kynntana's regular PHRF rating should assume a spinnaker is aboard, of the maximum area allowed in the regulation formulas (even though that section of your certificate is blank).

But the focus for Pacific Cup is the boat's Downwind PHRF rating, which will be determined based on the largest spinnaker actually carried. I don't believe Kynntana's published Downwind rating is correct so I'd ask the committee to review and correct that first, assuming no spinnaker. This could be done with the 2022 PHRF renewal if you check the option to renew with changes, and then tell them what you need. Hopefully they will also be willing to tell you what the Downwind rating would be if you carried a spinnaker of the area assumed in the regular PHRF rating.

Once you have the correct Downwind ratings with and without spinnaker, you can decide what to do about a downwind kite. What you have is not a downwind kite.