Thread: Doo Hickey Thread

Default Doo Hickey Thread

RYC had its annual swap meet yesterday and I paid $10 for all these little doohickeys. Or is the word spelled doohickies?

Name:  IMG-1150.JPG
Views: 402
Size:  958.1 KB

And what, perchance, are these little cuties called and where might they find purpose on Dura Mater?

Name:  IMG-1151.JPG
Views: 388
Size:  485.9 KB

All suggestions accepted, especially entertaining and silly ones. There is no reward, no Macapuno, although if you hurry over to Hedgehog on E Dock tomorrow/Sunday morning before 10 am there might be a slice of pumpkin pie in it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    RYC had its annual swap meet yesterday and I paid $10 for all these little doohickeys. Or is the word spelled doohickies? And what, perchance, are these little cuties called and where might they find purpose on Dura Mater?

Name:  IMG-1151.JPG
Views: 388
Size:  485.9 KB

All suggestions accepted, especially entertaining and silly ones. There is no reward, no Macapuno, although if you hurry over to Hedgehog on E Dock tomorrow/Sunday morning before 10 am there might be a slice of pumpkin pie in it for you.
    Jackie, I’m sorry that I don’t have a humorous answer, but I actually know what those are. The two shackles with captive pin are each part of a Racelite sliding gooseneck. They are for connecting the sail tack to the gooseneck.
    Name:  A5726590-07CD-4576-AD94-A59552986245.png
Views: 386
Size:  85.9 KB
    The last item with numbers on it is part of a small boat calibrated shroud tension adjuster. Those notches are actually threads and the numbers are for being able to replicate the tension.
    Name:  84076AD8-4784-44FC-869D-EC2C60B2AB03.jpeg
Views: 266
Size:  137.4 KB
    I have no idea where you could use these small boat parts on Dura Mater. Do you still have a Lido 14?
    Last edited by Dazzler; 10-30-2021 at 04:08 PM.
    Tom P.

The shackle in the upper right hand corner is well worth the $10 investment. I would suggest using to replace the existing shackle at the end of your main halyard. The cross bar and stout construction keep the shackle from flexing and allowing the halyard to detach from your mainsail.

It is a drag when that happens when you are sailing.

Doo hickeys galore!

Ants

One doohickie is missing from that photo. Hint: It's white.

Piles of similar treasures filled tables at the Gear Sale. As the Foundation's Treasurer, I was in charge of the cash box and can tell you that we did very well. There were also boats for sale and I had (have) my eye on a very nice Snipe. It has two of those Sta-Masters so I could use your gauge as a spare!

Sled, I spent a good part of Friday and Saturday talking with Tim Murison, who is also working the gear sale. He had stories of racing with you and a bunch of other young sailors in Newport Harbor, quite a few years ago.

You paid 10 shekls for many shackles. You got a bargain.

Looks nice