Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mr Ants goes to Washington aka skipper Ants does 2022 Salish 100

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    Such a pretty design. I'm not sure you're going to need that jib, Ants! That lugsail looks big enough to me.

Good job on the kickup rudder.
    The lug sail is cut very flat. It get’s its shape from loosening the lines. When tacking, the sail has no immediate drive. So, the instructions for the jib were to add a little shape so it accelerates faster.

The lug sail will eventually pick up speed, but I like a dinghy type sail that responds quickly then flattens out with speed using sail controls. As an example, the sail outhaul was very difficult to adjust while underway, but a multiple purchase will fix that.

Ants

Onboard storage is a challenge in small boats. A week of backpacking fit in a single pack that would fit under the front deck. But, that doesn’t include onboard needs while sailing and navigating.

The design was for a stable day sailer with young sailors in mind. Storage spaces were sealed with round ports to provide safety by way of flotation.

Some of the flotation needs better access. Rectangular ports would help under the seats. The flotation under aft deck could be a nice open cuddy for vhf radio, binoculars, and otherName:  FA94B2F3-1822-4171-B895-0401DEFE9523.jpeg
Views: 731
Size:  330.3 KB stuff.
    Name:  05AF28AE-0EB4-4A02-8DDA-F347FE777918.jpeg
Views: 668
Size:  2.15 MB
    Name:  30AAA5AC-9581-489F-A6F0-483B23788E34.jpeg
Views: 710
Size:  1.82 MB

That's a beautiful bronze (?) cleat, Ants! But ... where on earth are you going to sleep? I sure don't see room for anything but a pretzel.

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    That's a beautiful bronze (?) cleat, Ants! But ... where on earth are you going to sleep? I sure don't see room for anything but a pretzel.
    The floorboards will move from bilge to seat level. The builder added lead shot to the bilge and had 40 pounds of loose lead, held down by hinged floorboards. All that is under revision.

Bronze cleat from Duckworks in Pt Townsend. Home made wooden cleats are free to whomever wants them.

My pretzel days are behind me.

Ants
    Last edited by AntsUiga; 01-12-2022 at 10:20 AM.

A couple of big dry bags thrown under the foredeck would store a lot. I think I'd want something simple to clip them to, so they didn't get away in case of a capsize, though. It could be simple, like a line or two strung between padeyes in the forward semi-bulkhead.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Hi Ants,
    Do you worry about losing flotation by putting stuff in the flotation tanks?

Quote Originally Posted by Tchoupitoulas View Post
    Hi Ants,
    Do you worry about losing flotation by putting stuff in the flotation tanks?
    Good question.
    The flotation is calculated based on the water displaced and weight of the flotation chamber. With chamber empty, maximum flotation would result. The weight of the items in the flotation volume may only weight 5-10 percent ( at most) of water volume.
    So, the loss of flotation is not significant to me.

However, loose items that are not secured are easily lost overboard. It is nice to have things stowed safely.

I found some 7 by 14 access hatches that fit just nicely in the available spaces.

Ants

The Salish 100 is on my radar as well, seeing as the Texas 200 is probably farther than I want to drive and the R2Ak, if it reappears (and I hope it does) is a bit much.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    The Salish 100 is on my radar as well, seeing as the Texas 200 is probably farther than I want to drive and the R2Ak, if it reappears (and I hope it does) is a bit much.
    There seem to be numerous small boat options.
    The two mentioned are tough to get subscribed, but closer options exist.

The Sacramento TSCA has a varied agenda from SF area waters up to the Humboldt Lagoons. Poke your nose in, and enjoy the surprises.

I have not abandoned the R2AK, but it is definitely paused. There is the challenge of being personally in shape to be ready for the challenges as well as getting a team inspired while geographically in left field.

In addition, with trailering, there are numerous lake options for regattas, as well as scattered lakes and estuaries waiting to be explored. Small and simple sailing seems to be increasing in popularity.

For me, it is just a case of re-thinking what works best under changing conditions.

No tsunami alerts on Lake Isabella, but there is hopes for a good snowpack to raise levels above record lows.

Cheers,
    Ants

There is a spinnaker to be added, but the pole is problematic.

Lug sail can be shifted backwards or forward relative to the mast, but one side of the mast has sail in the way. The spinnaker has a traditional cut so a pole is needed.

The only solution that came to mind was to reef the main and use full hoost. The boom would move up to the height of the first reef point (black line on photo).

Does anyone have any better ideas?Name:  7DD9FE8E-F767-4F14-9B3A-E4985262961E.jpeg
Views: 648
Size:  1.56 MB