Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mr Ants goes to Washington aka skipper Ants does 2022 Salish 100

Unless you know you'll be mostly DDW, I'd look at getting the sail recut as an asymmetric. No pole needed since it would be tacked to the bow - the mast is stepped well aft so you'll have enough separation. If you do need to sail DDW you can sail (with the asymm) wing-on-wing - no pole needed if the wind is steady and you sail slightly by the lee.

What a lovely boat!

Thanks for the suggestion. Since I have never set or used an asymmetrical spinnaker, it simply was not on my personal radar.

Some sail area info. The boat came with a 84 sf lug sail. I am adding an 18 sf jib on a furler giving 102 sf total.
    The spinnaker is about 94 sf (yii dogies). It seems light air usage is most sensible.

A rough look at dimensions shows the existing sail does not have enough luff length to go from tack to the head.

For the 14 foot length of the boat, it seems modifications to set a spinnaker or easier than mods to set an asym. The favored dinghy setup has the sail pulled into a launch tube. I can not think of a way I could set and retrieve an asym without a launch tube. Even with the pelagic autopilot installed, I am not sure how well the bow of the boat will support my singlehanded activities near the deck.

With a symmetrical spinnaker, the sail can be launched and retrieved behind the lug sail.

So, looking at the combined sail areas, a reefed lug to give mast clearance for a pole has some merit.

Still pondering……

Ants

Additional dimensions. Foot of spinnaker 74 inches. Mast partner to bow 52 inches.
    Last edited by AntsUiga; 03-09-2022 at 12:34 PM.

I've recently begun trying out the asym on the B-boat.
    It has a sprit with the tack set on a line running back to the cockpit.
    Once the sheets are run around the headstay an the tack shackle brought back, launching and dousing from the cockpit go pretty smooth.

As for an asym, I am coming to understand some simple arrangements that will work.

Step 2 is to send the sail and boat dimensions to a sailmaker to see if the sail mods are reasonable.

Ants

Thanks to my favorite sailmaker ( DH in Santa Cruz), the luff of asym should be 15 feet and the existing spinnaker is 12 feet. DH suggests just fly the sail as an asymm, don’t worry about other details. Just have Fun, the Santa Cruz mantra.

So, the tack will be about 18 inches from the deck and the head will be 18 inches from halyard block.

Mast partner is being revised. Then, trailer testing comes next. Woo hoo!

Ants

Tack 18" off the deck sounds okay - you'll be able to sail deeper DW with the tack eased. Head 18" from the halyard block may cause the sail to oscillate but not too badly unless it's windy - just experiment with where to fly it for the best stability, then mark the halyard and tack line accordingly. Adding to what Greg wrote, use a block or low-friction ring for the tack line and a long-enough tack line to lead it aft. To douse, bear away to a deep broad reach. When the kite collapses behind the main, use the sheet to pull it into the boat as you ease the halyard and tack line. You'll only need three arms.

Thanks to an order by Duckworks and their sailmaker in Texas (!?!), MAD has a jib. The sail was hung impromptu to look at shape and get some idea where jib sheets should go (not as shown in this photo).

Name:  E603FCD2-1BB3-4E7C-B73D-BAAC35889674.jpeg
Views: 675
Size:  3.00 MB

Name:  9788E53D-5C25-4EA1-9D68-9D57EE11119F.jpeg
Views: 607
Size:  1.89 MB

This mast partner damage happened in a parking lot (thankfully).
    Name:  60826BD8-89F5-4C05-8851-5CE512B63436.jpeg
Views: 586
Size:  1.76 MB

Repair steps added mahogany around mast, mahogany plywood sandwich with epoxy above and below, laminated additional thickness to deck, and cedar trim piece under the visual edge.
    Name:  AB748132-C129-44BB-A3E0-DBFABC8E1ED2.jpeg
Views: 546
Size:  2.62 MB

The mast partner should not fail, but maybe the mast will ( hope not).
    Running rigging to be added
    Lugsail halyard
    Jib halyard
    Spinnaker halyard
    Lugsail downhaul
    Spinnaker tack
    Port and starboard sheets
    Furling line

And so it goes.
    Last edited by AntsUiga; 04-24-2022 at 10:00 AM.

Too bad it happened but that repair looks great, like it was built that way.

We do tend to complicate our boats. I just installed the hardware for a reaching strut. Why I may need a reaching strut is a long and torturous story about experimenting with a pole and guys on the asymmetric spinnaker, resulting in bent stanchions.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Too bad it happened but that repair looks great, like it was built that way.

We do tend to complicate our boats. I just installed the hardware for a reaching strut. Why I may need a reaching strut is a long and torturous story about experimenting with a pole and guys on the asymmetric spinnaker, resulting in bent stanchions.
    Since those stanchions provide a part of the crew safety protocol, damaged stanchions are not an asset.