Thread: 2022 - Three Bridge Fiasco Registration - Now Open

Default 2022 - Three Bridge Fiasco Registration - Now Open

Happy New Year!*
    Registration for the infamous Three Bridge Fiasco is now opened!
    https://www.jibeset.net/JACKY000.php?RG=T004563020
    The 3BF race this year will be on Saturday Jan 29th and is open to both single and doublehanded sailors, with no wait lists or registration caps. The SSS requires PHRF or BAMA rating certificates for all registrations.*Applications for 2022* PHRF certificates can be found on the YRA Jibeset page
    https://jibeset.net/YRA000.php?RG=T0355317
    Multihulls must have a BAMA rating certificate. For more information: https://sfbama.org/
    Be sure to get your certification early.*

2022 SSS Race Calendar:
    January 29th - Three Bridge Fiasco
    February 26th - Corinthian Race
    March 19th - Round the Rocks
    April 23rd - Singlehanded No Trophy South Bay
    May 21st - Singlehanded Farallones
    July 6th - Long Pac Race
    August 20th - YRA/SSS Drakes Bay Day 1
    August 21st - YRA/SSS Drakes Bay Day 2
    September 17th - Half Moon Bay*
    October 15th - Vallejo 1
    October 16th - Vallejo 2

And be sure to mark your calendar for the 23rd Singlehanded Transpacific Yacht Race -*
    San Francisco to Hanalei Bay that*starts on Sunday June 25th, 2023!
    See you on the water!*

Quote Originally Posted by captleasure View Post
    The SSS requires PHRF or BAMA rating certificates for all registrations.*
    This sort of muddies the waters. A previous email from the SSS reads: For this race only, we will accept a 2021 PHRF or BAMA boat rating certificate.

Will a PHRF certificate be required for the Fiasco in 2022?

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    This sort of muddies the waters. A previous email from the SSS reads: For this race only, we will accept a 2021 PHRF or BAMA boat rating certificate.

Will a PHRF certificate be required for the Fiasco in 2022?
    "Why do you ask, Jackie?" Ah, well it is because I often wear my very favorite sweatshirt from 2016 SSS Farallones sweatshirt. Because it is so comfortable and just the right weight for layering.

And when I do walk around wearing that sweatshirt, inevitably someone notices the SSS insignia and tells me, "I sailed in the Fiasco with my [father, wife, husband, brother, cousin, et al] in [year here]."

"Did you have a good time?" I then ask? And of course, then they say, "Of course!" and they tell me where they placed. Or that they didn't finish. But it is a really nice thing to find in common with a stranger at the Safeway or Berkeley Bowl or in Morro Bay. Yes, Morro Bay.

Last week Ray Irvine told me that fully 30% of the participants in the Fiasco never race (through Jibeset) again. This suggests that the Fiasco is a one time deal for sailors, who are not racers. People have told me this: That they are not racers but they love to "race" in the Fiasco.

With a PHRF certificate cost @ $100, on top of the $70/$90 race fee on top of that, I wonder if a PHRF is necessary for the Fiasco? Respectfully submitted, Jackie Philpott

Hi - Yes you can use a 2021 certificate for the 3BF if needed.
    Refer to the NOR, p. 2, 5. d.
    Thanks!

Thanks, Randy!

This racer questions the cost of renewing my phrf certificate. My rating stays the same, my boat is a well rated constant. No review is ever needed. It is probably only a few keystrokes to renew and send my certificate. While I support YRA as a good thing for yacht racing I say a renewal should cost $20.

People have told me this: That they are not racers but they love to "race" in the Fiasco.

With a PHRF certificate cost @ $100, on top of the $70/$90 race fee on top of that, I wonder if a PHRF is necessary for the Fiasco?
    The 3B Fiasco is a race and part of a race season. It requires a certificate that costs less than good dinner or day ski lift ticket and is good all year for all events. Quite a deal.

Quote Originally Posted by solosailor View Post
    The 3B Fiasco is a race and part of a race season. It requires a certificate that costs less than good dinner or day ski lift ticket and is good all year for all events. Quite a deal.
    Point taken and duly noted. Decisions. Decisions. Decisions.

A difference this year is you can't get a PHRF certificate without joining the YRA. That's why it's $100 now.

That's actually good to hear and I like that they combined it. It was always confusing if I should just get a PHRF or also join the YRA to be eligible for their races. Of course if you only race the SSS then it might seem pointless but it does support a struggling organizations that is the hub for just about all racing in NorCal.