Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rules, Regs and Schedule

Default Rules, Regs and Schedule

The SSS Safety Committee, chaired by Greg Nelsen, met last might and finalized its recommendations on the SSS required equipment list for offshore races. The committee looked at a variety of documents and made a point of drawing a line between "needed" and "nice to have". Their recommendations will be acted on as soon as I can schedule an SSS board meeting - probably within two weeks.

All members of the committee are SHTP vets and former SSS Commodores/board members. They are: Greg Nelsen, Mark Deppe, Synthia Petrooska, Bob Johnson and Rob MacFarland. Thanks to all for their great work.

The biggest departure from past LP requirements will probably be that doublehanded boats must have MOB gear.

It is also worth noting that, unlike past years, we intend to inspect all boats before the race to ensure that they are in compliance.

The schedule of deadlines for registering, inspections and seminars will be posted within two weeks. Ruben Gabriel, of Sparky fame, has very recently volunteered to serve as LP Race Chair and I need to meet with him before we can roll out the details.

Bill Merrick
    SSS Commodore

I know it seems a long way off yet, but I wonder if there has been any thought given, or decision pending, regarding start date for 2010 singlehanded transpac?? I just may come down for another try if I can get the boat ready in time

Next month we start booking our holiday schedule for 2010 holidays at work.

From my perspective, and for what it is worth, I didn't mind the mid-june start we had in '02.

I had really nice conditons for the return trip that year. Also for the guys with kids and families they get a chance to have some of the summer left when they get back home.

Jim/Haulback

Hi Jim,

I guess the looney must be doing better than the greenback if you're still getting holidays up there. What's the immigration process like? Has Canada started building a fence on the border yet?

We haven't started thinking about 2010 but I'm glad you asked. The SHTP is the one race that moves around a bit. So, what's the collective wisdom on this? Late June or early to mid-july?

Bill Merrick

I would rather see it move back to late June, the dates just worked out better that way.

- Mark

Jim you turkey, now we have to start getting all motivated again (it doesn't take much).

For current, 6/19/2010 looks the best: Max ebb (and not a huge one) at 1047; 6/12 and 6/26 show a mid-day flood.

I vote for SSB's only for check-in's (smiley thing inserted here).
    Last edited by BobJ; 02-21-2009 at 09:07 AM.

Turkey, indeed....my goodness

19 june sounds fine to me. The 18th would be better as it's my birthday, so it would be bound to bring me good luck.

What say you guys be nice to visitors next time, eh!

Jim/Haulback

It's a term of endearment.

How were we not nice to you last time? We let you win your division. I even stopped bugging you about that longboarding thing. Now you want the start to be on your birthday.

Where does it end?

Default Again?

Everyone keeps asking me if I would do it again? I had a great time. At first the answer was a little muddy but if Bob is in I think I can coax the old Ford to pull Polar Bear back to the Pacific. This time I think I will stay out there though....

Eric, it will be great to see you back on the West Coast in the summer of 2010 for another run to paradise...since Bob is in, right? I have a new ride that I'm prepping for the trip back to Hanalei, and this one should get me there a little quicker; I'm outfitting a Moore 24SC (hull #133), and it's a sweet "little" boat...I like the little boats! Hope all is well.

I wish I could say "I'm in." SHTP2010 is a long shot for Ragtime!. But then I wasn't planning to go last year either . . .

How about Andy - can he be persuaded?

Thanks to Matt B. for adding this category to the board. Now we have a place to ratchet-jaw about the whole thing without gumming up the LongPac threads.