Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rules, Regs and Schedule

Not that it really counts as race prep, or anything like that, but I will be hauling out next month for a while to see various boat-jobs. One of which is converting from a single to double-spreader rig.

Did not really want to spend the time to paint the spar when I had it replaced in Australia - I had planned to pull it out when I got back home to paint it at my leisure, and this is the year for it. Having put the spreaders in the water a couple of times since, I sort of think that stiffening up the rig may be a good idea for future adventures - soooo before I paint it........

Leaving any serious bottom work for the pre-race conditoning program, but will be splashing some topsides paint around.

Have been trying to figure out how to modify underwater hull form to accomadate a canting keel...........Maybe twin rudders too??????

Jim/Haulback

Quote Originally Posted by haulback View Post
    Not that it really counts as race prep, or anything like that, SNIP
    Have been trying to figure out how to modify underwater hull form to accomadate a canting keel...........Maybe twin rudders too??????

Jim/Haulback
    While you are at it, consider modifying your bow shape to that of the Ulstein X-Bow .....(grin).....

Don't miss the name of the ship with the X-Bow - it's perfect!

Where do you FIND this stuff, John?

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Don't miss the name of the ship with the X-Bow - it's perfect!

Where do you FIND this stuff, John?
    The Bourbon Orca has no bulb, and has a slender bow design ULSTEIN X-BOW™ with an inverted flare. The bow slopes backwards instead of forwards which results in less resistance. Some of the most common accidents that occur on offshore vessels involve the sea breaking the wheelhouse’s windows. This happens because traditional hull shapes throw the sea forwards and upwards as the hull dives deeper. The tests on the model showed that almost no sea came up onto the bridge deck at all, even in extreme weather conditions with six metres significant wave height and a wave period of nine seconds. Under these conditions, the model maintained a good service speed. The large volume in the bow means that the forebody floats better and dives less when it meets waves.

With a bow shape like this, Blueberry might have made the cutoff deadline in the upwind crawl against the left over swells to Half Moon Bay in 2008 (ya think?).....grin....

Default Pac Cup Start Date

FWIW, the date for the 1st Pac Cup start has been set for Tuesday July 5th 2010.

Synthia
    Ride, captain ride upon your mystery ship. Be amazed at the friends you have here on your trip.
    Ride, captain ride upon your mystery ship. On your way to a world that others might have missed.
    ~ Blues Image

Let's see, July 5 plus 21 days for the race means awards dinner on the 26th. Then a few days after that before heading home probably around August 1st, or a couple days after that, still has most of the boats making approach to the coast towards the last week or two of August.

I have no idea of conditions along the California coast, but one can almost guarantee, at this latitude, that the first of the autumnal lows will roll in on the coast about the middle of August. May make a difference between a smallish boat deciding to sail home, or incur greater cost of having to ship

Just a thought

Jim/Haulback

On board 'Nereida' when possible - in S.Africa just now

Quote Originally Posted by haulback View Post
    Leaving any serious bottom work for the pre-race conditoning program, ....

Have been trying to figure out how to modify underwater hull form to accomodate a canting keel...........Maybe twin rudders too??????
    Ok, Jim.... now pull the other one...!!!

Although we do believe you when you say you're 'serious' about the 'pre-race conditioning program' regarding the bottom work... just like last year! That worked a treat!

Maybe I should follow your example and make a point of getting over to do the race while the newly-born 'Nereida' still has a lovely smooth baby's bottom??!!!

FWIW, I would go along with a June start, rather than July, as giving a better return timing.
    Last edited by nereida; 02-28-2009 at 05:29 PM.
    Jeanne "Nereida"

www.svnereida.com

Greetings,

Subject to agreement from the Corinthian YC, the start of the 2010 SHTP will be Saturday, June 19, 2010.

Bill Merrick

On board 'Nereida' when possible - in S.Africa just now

Default Shtp2010

Bill
    I think that date is going to make quite a few people happy - and galvanize a lot more into action to prepare for the start line!
    19th June is the exact day last year that I lost the old 'Nereida' - painful memories should be replaced by good ones if possible, don't you think? So I'll get 82 put on my hull in readiness - just in case I can get there - you never know! At least that's one easy item off the list!!
    BTW, any reference to liferafts should allow for the fact that some only need servicing every 3 yrs or so (vacuum-packed ones) - so no annual certificate is normally available. Perhaps reference to an 'in-date service certificate' as a requirement would be better wording??

Back to the fitting-out tomorrow (Monday) ... still lots happening here in Sweden!
    Last edited by nereida; 03-01-2009 at 05:55 PM. Reason: 19th June....
    Jeanne "Nereida"

www.svnereida.com

Thanks, Jeanne. I really appreciate the suggestion re: liferaft certification. It's very timely in that we're about to post the race docs for the LongPac.

Best of luck with the new boat and hope to see you at the start in 2010.

Bill Merrick