Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rules, Regs and Schedule

On board 'Nereida' when possible - in S.Africa just now

Default Shtp2010

Thanks, Bill!
    Have to figure out my route .... a variety of options!
    Cheers,
    Jeanne "Nereida"

www.svnereida.com

Default June 20

June 20 is the day I lost my house last year. Not the luckiest day for me, but that is irrelevant from a sailing perspective.

I would vote for early July. This is simply from the practical standpoint of having the high firm up. I realize it didn't help in 2008, but on average, it should be more stable in July than in June. I will however, join in the race, no matter when it leaves, George

Corinthian YC has confirmed that June 19, 2010 is good for them. Ergo, June 19 ,2010 will be the start of the 2010 SHTP.

Bill Merrick

Thanks for the heads-up Bill.........

Now the planning, plotting and schemeing can begin

Hope to see you all on the start line - only 471 days to go !!!!!

Jim/Haulback

Hi Jim,

I will see you at the starting line but, unless I have another boat, probably not as a fellow TransPac racer. If I'm still sailing the current Ergo, she'll be leaving for Hawaii a couple of weeks later in the Pac Cup.

Bill

Default Pacific Cup Yacht Club Newsletter

The Pacific Cup folks sent out a newsletter today announcing their upcoming Safety at Sea seminar. This is a very good seminar and loaded with great info that applies to any Trans Pacific race including the SHTP, well except for the man overboard recover part. For more info follow this link: http://pacificcup.org/sas2008

One very misleading detail in their newletter is that this seminar is required for the SSS TransPac. This was not the case when I participated in 2006, I did not require this in 2008 when I was RC, and I've not heard any rumblings of making this a requirement in 2010, so I think they just tossed us into the pile because the more the merrier. Er, something.

So before anyone's feathers get ruffled, I recommend that you wait until an official word comes from an official SSS person.

signed,
    a past official SSS person
    Ride, captain ride upon your mystery ship. Be amazed at the friends you have here on your trip.
    Ride, captain ride upon your mystery ship. On your way to a world that others might have missed.
    ~ Blues Image

It can't be a SHTP requirement since they scheduled the local seminar for the same day as our Corinthian Race.

But I'll make sure at least a third of my SHTP crew attends - my pet rock and whoopie cushion will go this year. I think Rob is sending the lizard.

Sincerely,
    another past official SSS person

P.S. The next one is in Long Beach on 6/28 - same weekend as our Half Moon Bay Race.
    Last edited by BobJ; 03-26-2009 at 02:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    It can't be a SHTP requirement since they scheduled the local seminar for the same day as our Corinthian Race.

But I'll make sure at least a third of my SHTP crew attends - my pet rock and whoopie cushion will go this year. I think Rob is sending the lizard.

Sincerely,
    another past official SSS person

P.S. The next one is in Long Beach on 6/28 - same weekend as our Half Moon Bay Race.
    If anyone cares ....... the date they picked for this one was, allegedly, the only date available at Cal Maritime in a 4 month window. Not sure about the June date choice.

My sympathies go out to the volunteers, listed below, who end up with conflicts like this.

From what I saw a couple of years ago on the race deck for the SSS Corinthian, Michael Moradzadeh, when he was the Corinthian YC Commodore, was there for hours making sure all went as smoothly as he could help make it happen. Maybe he will arrange a better schedule for another seminar next winter.

Pacific Cup Yacht Club and Encinal Yacht Club Press Release

Contacts

California Maritime Academy – Charlie Arms-Cartee carms@csum.edu
    (707) 654-1257

Pacific Cup Yacht Club – Michael Moradzadeh commodore@pacificcup.org
    (415) 830-FUN-1

Encinal Yacht Club – Tom Wondolleck vicecommodore@encinal.org

I'm just joking around of course.

I would go to the seminar in Vallejo if it was likely to be required for the next SHTP, even if I had to miss the Corinthian Race. Besides, it's right next door (I live in Benicia).

Any of our board readers (bored readers?) who are doing ocean sailing should try to get to the seminar. I'm sure it is well worth it.

Bob J.

Default Not a Requirement

I guess it's always nice to be included but no, this seminar is not a requirement for entering the SHTP. We haven't posted ar even looked at the requirements for 2010. I'll get in touch with the Pac Cup folks and thank them for the invitation to attend because it's probably a good use of a day for anyone planning a trip off shore but, it is not an SSS requirement.

Bill Merrick
    SSS Commodore