Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2022 Great Pacific Longitude Race!!

Another Long Pac completed! Stories to be told and good memories to cherish, or not so pleasant ones to soften a bit.

Mike our determined last finisher crossed between the X buoy and Brian's suv at 9:25 this morning. The less than 5 knots of breeze between Farallones and GG would try anyone's patience after 5 days on the water. Congrats Mike, we hope you have beautiful Hanalei in your sights next summer.

Thank you to our cast of directors and characters:

Participants and finishers Riff Rider, Charles C. 1st. Galaxsea, Daniel W. 2nd, EOS Mike S. 3rd.

Bob M. at GGYC for the use of the Sea Wall.

Race Chairs David H. and Brian B for walking in their sleep.

Our inspectors George L. and Brian B. to ensure sailors were prepared the SSS way.

Jackie P. for good photos and appropriate captions.

Ray I. at Jibeset for the tracking tools and tweaks.

Wed's start interesting note, dredgers can relocate the GGYC X buoy and place a floating anchorage mark in its place.

Today's interesting note, Brian says that if you stay in one spot too long, Marinetraffic's software will tag you as a Stationary Navigation Aid.

RC out!

I have not read anything about Eos's return to the bay. Or is he still out there? And how about the awards ceremony? As I recall it is slated for Sunday July 24 @ 7:30pm. Will it be in person somewhere?

I'm here! I have been sleeping for about a week. Thanks for asking! I made it back OK. I was very slow but had lots of adventures. Breaking stuff, mending stuff. Dropping stuff overboard. Breaking stuff while mending stuff. Losing stuff. Losing the stuff to mend stuff with. Fiddling with electronics, batteries, solar panels, connectors. Messing with chafed ropes, busted sail slides and bolt ropes, broken furler. Lots of wind, too much wind, no wind. Fog. Sun. Wind always from the wrong direction. Big tankers with lights and AIS and great captains. Big tankers without lights or AIS. Whales. Too many whales. Friendly whales. Too friendly whales. Scary whales. Running away from whales. Small waves. Big waves. Too many waves from too many directions. Running over stuff. Scary noises. Breaking more stuff. Fixing more stuff. Stuff getting stuck where it shouldn't. Gale warnings. Zero wind. Sailing backwards. Wind holes. Currents where and when there shouldn't have been currents. All with no sleep. But all good experience. A great experience.

Great response, Mike! Let's fill in the details, shall we?

Long Pac Debrief: https://vimeo.com/350520523

Thanks for the pre-covid convivial memory Jackie!
    That was a fun evening.

With Charley (RIFF RIDER) off to Tanzania (?) until the first, we decided to defer an already small gathering.
    There is active planning for a mid-season awards gathering - yes, in person, like the video - to distribute.

Failing that, I would like to have some sort of a group debrief, probably on the zoomy thing.

DH

Snapped a pic on the way by, for old time's sake...Name:  126 40.JPG
Views: 2949
Size:  692.4 KB

Those numbers bring back memories Bob, thank you! It's a strange experience making a U-turn tack miles out. A lot of solitude, space and a great sense of accomplishment! In 2017, about an hr or two after making the turn, I saw crazy rhythm booking his way to the turnaround point. Nothing better than seeing your compadres in that sea of desert.

The most surprising thing about that photo was that I was able to post it here. Perhaps 4,500 nm of sea travel for my laptop shook some sense into it.

It was a long delivery back, not so much in days (17) but due to a lot of difficult sailing. When we passed 126 40 it meant two things: We were "half a LongPac" from being home, and Surprise! was once again covered on her boat insurance!