Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lifeline question (and hello)

I am now preparing to lace up my lifelines, and two options present themselves. I am curious re: any comments:

1. Netting.
    Pro: seems like a lot of coverage. [N.b.: I would probably only go back to maybe the shrouds, not all the way around the stern, and not around the front of the pulpit either.]
    Con: Seems like a ton of work, and hard to replace (due to work) and maybe a lot of windage at the bow. Plus not that cheap compared to just lacing.
    https://www.sailrite.com/How-to-Inst...-Netting-Video
    https://www.sailrite.com/Lifeline-Netting-24-Wide

2. Lacing. Like picture @Sleddog posted above.
    Pro: Seems easier to do.
    Con: maybe less secure? Especially as I have no full-length slotted toerail.

Since I have no full-length toerail, the bottom connection would have to be via some line I secure between the bottoms of the stanchion bases. I am thinking 1/8" leechline (or maybe something stronger) with butterfly knots tied every several inches that I can then use to lace the bottoms of the diagonals through, ending up with something vaguely like sleddogs' picture.

Curious if there are any strong opinions about what is best / things I should be considering before investing the effort.

Many thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by NATBF View Post
    Since I have no full-length toerail, the bottom connection would have to be via some line I secure between the bottoms of the stanchion bases. I am thinking 1/8" leechline (or maybe something stronger) with butterfly knots tied every several inches that I can then use to lace the bottoms of the diagonals through, ending up with something vaguely like sleddogs' picture.
    See SER 2.4.8 regarding required toerails on foredeck: Toe rails shall be fitted around the foredeck from the base of the mast with a minimum height of 3/4" (18mm). An additional installed lifeline that is 1-2" (25-51mm) above the deck will satisfy this requirement for boats without toe rails. SSS Change

A toerail around the foredeck is something to brace your foot against. A leechline toerail won't cut the mustard.
    Last edited by sleddog; 09-04-2022 at 06:09 AM.

The Ericson 34-2 has fairly substantial molded-in toerails, so you should be fine there. I agree you don't want to drill holes through them. I didn't want to drill holes through Surprise!'s toerails either. Her stanchions are close enough together that I am getting by with a simple lacing tied to the bases of the stanchions and clove-hitched at each spot where they cross a lifeline. These survived the PacCup and return. The photo isn't meant to show off - it's the only image I could find that shows the lacing.

Name:  Netting.JPG
Views: 199
Size:  2.51 MB

When I got my boat, it had the type of toerail that incorporates T-track, so there was nothing to lace through. The PO screwed 3 or 4 small strap eyes on each side just inboard from the rail, from the bow pulpit nearly back to the mast. Running a line through them and getting it good and tight provides a deck-level anchor point for lacing.

After I got T-boned years ago, we replaced the T-track with conventional slotted toerail. It just occurred to me that I could be using the rail for lacing now! But I'm still using the line through the strap eyes.

I lace up to the upper lifeline as far back as the first stanchion, then just up to the intermediate lifeline to the second stanchion, just aft of the mast.
    Last edited by Critter; 09-04-2022 at 10:58 AM.

My toe rails rum from the mast to the bow but are a little undersize, about 5/8 inch tall as opposed the 3/4 inch spec.

I plan to run a lower line between the pulpit and first stanchion.

I could use that to run a weave or netting. I like a weave. Just enough to help contain a loose jib.

Name:  IMG_4404.jpeg
Views: 265
Size:  1.10 MB