Thread: Longpac Storm Jib Question

Default Longpac Storm Jib Question

Section 3.33.4 of the 2019 Longpac Safety Equipment Requirements (SER) states that a "storm jib shall be equipped with an alternate means of attachment to the headstay in the event of the failure of the head foil." For a standard roller furling unit with a luff groove and a storm jib with a luff tape and cringles at the head and tack, what creative options have been used to satisfy this requirement?

With a head foil with two luff grooves, can the second luff groove become the alternative means of attachment?

I know there are several ATN Gale Sail alternatives which wrap a sleeve around a roller furled jib or genoa and also the possibility of using parrel beads on loops attached to a hanked on sail, but are there other better options to consider for an existing storm jib with a luff tape?

For a while, the requirement was for either a storm jib or heavy-air jib. The latter didn't require an alternative means of attachment. Whomever is running this year's LongPac, will this requirement for LongPac be changed back to match the soon-to-be-published SHTP requirements? SHTP doesn't require both sails and my understanding is that Dave (2023 SHTP Chair) wants to make the two sets of requirements align better.

In the meantime, I have a Dacron #4 (more like a #5) that can be hoisted in the furler but also has grommets down the luff. When this sail was used to meet the requirement, I used soft hanks (like long soft shackles) to attach the sail around the furler foil. The foils DO fail offshore, usually when you're trying to remove the full-sized jib.

For the 2019 LongPac, I also carried an ATN Gale Sail to meet the storm jib requirement. I found it awkward to deploy and recently replaced it with an alternative that attaches easier. I'd post a couple photos but I am no longer able to do that for some reason.

Thanks Bob. Seems like you came up with a couple of good solutions. I didn't realize the requirement had changed over the years.

I probably will wait for the 2022 Longpac SER to be posted before I alter my sail, but I hope that will be soon. There's not that much time left to the July start and lots of marine businesses are still experiencing inventory shortages and supply chain constraints.

I'm prepping for this year's Pacific Cup (same start date) and I'm experiencing "hurry up and wait" repeatedly.

The good news (?) is that today I consolidated my lists and I'm down to 2-1/2 pages, single-spaced.

Name:  20211210_105849.jpg
Views: 638
Size:  4.33 MB

Kalia is a 1987 Ericson 34-2 I bought about six months ago. Berthed in Alameda for the last ten years, her owners were out of state and the boat needed lots of attention to systems which hadn't been used in a long time. The Longpac and SHTP documents have been my guide for updating the equipment and systems. Hopefully, I will have a PHRF later this month and see you out on the water soon.

Very nice!

She has a big foretriangle so you might consider a solent stay with hanked-on jib for the heavy-air sail. My J/92 had a cored deck but I was able to tie the bottom of the solent stay into the back of the lowest bolt on the forestay tang with a turnbuckle under the deck (so very little load on the deck itself). The mast end of the stay was attached with a t-ball/socket. The stay itself was Dynex-Dux to a two-part tackle and then through a cabin-top clutch. It was tensioned back in the cockpit on a winch. It was all easily removable.

A hanked-on sail is sure easier to work with in a blow.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    For a while, the requirement was for either a storm jib or heavy-air jib. The latter didn't require an alternative means of attachment. Whomever is running this year's LongPac, will this requirement for LongPac be changed back to match the soon-to-be-published SHTP requirements? SHTP doesn't require both sails and my understanding is that Dave (2023 SHTP Chair) wants to make the two sets of requirements align better.
    Thanks Bob - That is indeed the priority.
    Here is what both sets will say. NOTE, that whichever option one chooses, you will need to have a contingency plan for head foil damage.
    FWIW, I like your idea of grommets and soft hanks for either sail.

A boat shall carry a heavy-weather jib (or heavy-weather sail in a yacht with no forestay) of area not greater than 13.5% height of the foretriangle squared. Alternatively, A storm jib as described in 3.33.4 will meet this requirement. SSS Change
    If the rig is such that a headsail is commonly used, A boat shall carry a storm jib not exceeding 5% of the yacht's I dimension squared, and equipped with an alternative means of attachment to the headstay in the event of a failure of the head foil. Storm sails manufactured after 01/01/2014 shall be constructed from a highly visible material. Alternatively, A heavy- weather jib as described in 3.33.3 will meet this requirement, provided it is also equipped with an alternative means of attachment to the headstay in the event of a headfoil failure. SSS Change

Left unstated is that hanked on sails don't need to account for a headfoil failure, but I'm not going there!
    DH
    Last edited by DaveH; 03-06-2022 at 11:56 AM.

Thanks for that clarification Dave. What's the plan for posting the full 2022 Longpac SER?

Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    Thanks for that clarification Dave. What's the plan for posting the full 2022 Longpac SER?
    with a bit of consultation between BB and myself, I hope to have a full set of docs up (minus SI's which will come a bit later) before tonight is out.
    DH

I love my hanks!