Thread: Whisker pole question

Default Whisker pole question

Clarification need regarding the length of whisker poles.

NCPHRF 2021 states: "whisker poles may be of any length"

NOR for the 2015 Long Pac states: "A whisker pole shall not be longer than the LP of the largest rated headsail and may not be used for setting a spinnaker. This changes RRS 50.2."

SSS NOR for 2022 has no mention of whisker pole rules

Since I'm in the market for. whisker pole, would like to know what's allowed and what's not.

Many thanks in advance for any advice

Tim

S/V White Rose

You are correct, this is a difference between the NCPHRF regulations and the SSS rules for LongPac and the SHTP. The draft RR&Cs for the 2023 SHTP retain the same wording as in past years, limiting whisker pole length to the LP, so I suspect the LongPac will retain this language as well. For the rest of the SSS races the NCPHRF "any length" rule would apply.

If you're thinking of racing in the LongPac, you'll need to wait for its NOR to be absolutely certain. I don't know who is in charge of that race this year.
    Last edited by BobJ; 03-02-2022 at 01:47 PM.

Thanks

That's very helpful

Tim

Thanks Bob for backfilling once again.
    First, I apparently didn't step back in time, so apparently Brian & I are co-charing the LP... SMH :0
    Second - re the whisker pole length, its my contention that the Long Pac should in cases like this default to the SHTP rules (excepting Double handed deviations) so I'm confirming your postulation that whisker pole length will be limited to LP.

DH