Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Main and jib sheets.

I'd also like it on the record that Surprise! caught up with Arcadia. Briefly but memorably. Yes, that's Synthia looking back every once in awhile. Did I hear her calling "Faster! We must go faster!"?

Name:  Gordie Ruth and friends.jpg
Views: 619
Size:  282.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    I'd also like it on the record that Surprise! caught up with Arcadia. Briefly but memorably.
    so, where's the photo of Arcadia's bow as proof.......?
    Ride, captain ride upon your mystery ship. Be amazed at the friends you have here on your trip.
    Ride, captain ride upon your mystery ship. On your way to a world that others might have missed.
    ~ Blues Image

Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    so, where's the photo of Arcadia's bow as proof.......?
    "Caught up with". Admittedly, never passed. I can tell from your and Gordy's faces that you were scared.

We did pass Arcadia on the reaching leg from Alcatraz to Raccoon Strait. But we were too busy going fast (and avoiding all the boats coming at us) to take pretty pictures.

(That was a blast!)
    Last edited by BobJ; 03-18-2022 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Can't spell

Name:  0329surprise!arcadia.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  45.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Gutoff View Post
    Name:  0329surprise!arcadia.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  45.0 KB
    Jonathan! Have I told you today that I love you?

Ahead by a nose.

Name:  9D1A49E2-2F50-4BB3-8791-0B08C2C19C72.jpeg
Views: 546
Size:  293.2 KB
    Tom P.

These days you better not pick your nose or anything while you're out racing!

Thumbs up Islander 30-2 traveler

Quote Originally Posted by Darren View Post

Main sheet. I currently have a mid boom traveler that is a few years old and works great. But the location is kinda a pain. Especially when the sheet is under load. I typically find my self standing on the back of the dinette seat and galley counter. It's not a feat for the I'll footed. So I was thinking about putting the trailer in the cockpit behind the tiller. But I don't know if that means I would need to strengthen my boom or not. I understand I will need much longer line and sheeting in will require more pulling. I'm fine with that my concern is damaging something or trading one problem for the other.

Any insight would be great. Boat is an Islander 30-2. Attachment 7263Attachment 7263Attachment 7264

Hi, after I broke my boom gybing too fast under the GG bridge I put in a new boom and added a traveler at the end of the cockpit of my Islander 30-2 Sweet Pea. I like the setup way better than before, especially for single handing. I will try to make some photos of my setup next week (of course, I spent 7h next to the traveler today...).. Essentially a new Ballenger boom and a new Garhauer traveler. Main disadvantage is that the traveler twists a bit under load, making the traveler jam. They have one with a base plate that does not twist so much, would take that one next time (the guy at Garhauer told me that was not needed). Install was easy but painful to get to the screws on the starboard side. Other disadvantage is that the traveler moves the boom less to leeward. On the other hand I think the sail trims better

Two more tidbits: The boom of the old Islander 30-2 with end boom sheeting was actually longer, with a larger main sail and a different PHRF rating. I decided to go with the same length that my mid boom traveler boom had, because my mainsail was newish. Steering with the large main can be a problem. Now I think more sail area would maybe be nice...
    The sheet also less likely to catch your head with the longer boom.

Cheers

Jan