Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Offshore Tracking

While the report linked is an important data point, it is important to realize that this report is 10 years old. It also identifies issues obtaining iridium satellite phone communications. Without more info this could be misleading. Who were those calls made to? We’re there any legal requirements to privacy? As to messaging from the YB, why do you feel it is the only device you could use from a life raft? The Inreach mini has a number of stored communications that are easy to send off with a couple of clicks. You can pre-store a number of custom messages. You can also compose new messages with one of those difficult to use scroll to letter and click methods. Isn’t that what YB uses? Just curious as to the differences and what you are comparing the YB to. Thanks!

I cant answer any of the questions on the Nina, I just dont know. What I meant was I dont think you can count on Garmin or Iridium helping out. I dont think you can count on anyone helping out, but Yellow Brick has.

I have a PW Go! that needs a phone, thats a problem in some situations. I have never been able to get an iPhone to work on the Bay when any water is involved. Even in three different types of AquaPac. Couldn't even get my iWatch to help me when I needed it. Even the slightest dampness on a touchscreen wrecks it.

I have a Garmin 86sci and that too (like the YB3) has a click this-way-and-that-way interface. I found it hard to use.

The YB3 has bigger scroll keys and easier to use click this-way-and-that-way interface. I cant explain why a few mm makes a difference but it does for me anyway. I plan to test the YB3 in a liferaft when I do the next course. I think it could work. I'm sure this is how Tapio sent texts from his liferaft.

PS: I researched the Mini (stand-alone) text interface and the best I can find that shows how it works is here: https://youtu.be/IdbRzscDgpg?t=155
    The 86sci is somewhat similar. I cant find a description or video showing the YB3. I will take a picture to show how it works and post.

For someone else's perspective, see https://youtu.be/FOOll2LEoh4?t=501 (at that time code)

I'm not saying the YB3 is better or the best. Its hard to compare different things. The PW Go! is great for some things, like weather. It's also convenient to send quick texts in the cabin with an iPhone. The Garmin 86sci is great as a backup GPS device. The YB3 is probably what I would pack in the liferaft though. I might get an InReach Mini too; its so small you could carry it all the time in a pocket, along with a mini EPIRB.
    Last edited by GBR3068; 01-23-2023 at 02:04 PM.

Just a thought here. Since this thread is titled offshore tracking, under the SHTP header.
    Perhaps RC or Ray could chime in here.

Last two races the trackers that could be linked through Jibeset for race tracking were iridium based, i.e. InReach and iridium go.

I believe tracking with the yb3 is exclusive to yellow brick.

I have an older InReach explorer, from Delorme, and have used it offshore since 2016. I have used the small hunt and click screen in rough sea. Doable but makes me seriously nauseous. I think the newer ones have a little bit larger screen.
    I have used it for two Long Pacs and 2018 SHTP for tracking and messaging. Kept it below all the time.

I used an iridium go for calls, email and gribs with inavx.

Yes, wet touchscreens are a problem. Keeping them below and having a towel handy helps.

As far as things to grab for the life raft, after the ditch bag with epirb, would be the InReach.

>> I believe tracking with the yb3 is exclusive to yellow brick.

See Ray's page at https://www.jibeset.net/gpsspot0200.php

I'll ask Ray if his web scraper works with the YB default web pages or if you need to setup more, for example with YB.

I thought Ray had got the tracking info copied into all SIs for this year. That may have got lost...

Default InReach Mini Test Results

Quote Originally Posted by Now&Zen View Post
    I al currently running a test with my Inreach Mini. With it on “Extended” mode and set to send a track position every 4 hours the battery is supposed to last more than 20 days. So I have it out on the balcony and am testing this. I am about 11 days in. It misses a transit once in a while, going 8 hours instead of 4, but it doesn’t have an unobstructed view of the sky either, so not too bad. I will post here when it runs out of juice!
    I charged up my new to me InReach Mini and set it for EXTended Tracking. To send a track point every 4 hours. Then I mounted it on my balcony and let it run until the battery died. Here are the results.

Start Jan. 9th at 23:19
    End Feb. 2nd at 05:12

Run Time = 23 + days. Not bad.

Recorded 120 tracking points total.
    Missed 21 four hour intervals but never went more than eight hours without a tracking point.
    A couple of times it sent the same data twice at the same time.

Obviously this was stationary but also with a limited view of the sky. My balcony only has a northern view and has trees in the way as well.

Overall I am pleased.