Thread: Newbie: safety list and spreadsheet

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Newbie: safety list and spreadsheet

I'm a newbie. I was fortunate to have David Herrigel offer to inspect my boat, EOS. I started with the safety list in PDF at http://yra.org/wp-content/uploads/20...hanges2022.pdf I turned that into an Excel spreadsheet and filled in my answers. One tricky part is getting everything to print in a reasonable number of pages. This list is living in that I still had a number of TBDs at the time of inspection, some of which were questions that David answered. I am still updating this list as equipment gets checked, replaced, offshore requirements added and so on. David thought this attached spreadsheet might be useful to others.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I'll try and keep any thread updates tagged with the spreadsheet/SER item numbers.

wrt 3.2.1 Jacklines

David suggested using an etrier attached to a lifejacket, and someone asked me about them. The idea is to use an etrier to help get yourself on when you're off. Etriers are small climbing ladders made from webbing. I tried two: one from Petzl and one from Metolius. They cost $30-50. They are variously called "etriers" "aids" "aider" "steps". Search on Amazon for "PETZL – Stirrup Light of Artificial 5 Steps for Climbing, Polyester, Black" and for "Metolius Pocket Aider". These two fold into small pockets about 3" x 4". The Petzl pocket / bag is smaller but harder to get in/out of the pocket. The Petzl has L-shaped steps (grey webbing in the picture). The Metolius has U-shaped steps (blue webbing). Both are about same length, about 5 ft. Both have loops to attach a carabiner. The Petzl has their "string" which stops the loop sliding around on a carabiner. Not sure yet whether it is better /easier / more comfortable to use a lightweight climbing carabiner or something else to attach the pocket loop to my lifejacket / life belt / full-body harness straps.

Name:  IMG_9519.JPG
Views: 661
Size:  2.50 MBName:  IMG_9520.JPG
Views: 469
Size:  4.64 MB

Hi Mike,

Here's what I tried on Surprise!:

https://www.sfbaysss.org/forum/showt...3019#post23019

These were standard etriers that came in a velcro pouch with a handle, so I could reach the handle from the water. I've forgotten the brand name. There are challenges with using these. Since the boat will probably be moving when you're trying to re-board, the etrier will just steam behind the boat on the water's surface, making it very difficult to get your foot into the first loop. I added fishing weights to the bottom of mine but these didn't help much. Even if the boat is stationary, when you try to get your foot in the bottom loop the etrier just pushes away under the hull. Bottom line is you really need something fixed against the hull, and of course the ability to reach that point without releasing your tether.

Bob J.

I built a boarding ladder out of PVC pipe with a piece of old halyard for the Hawkfarm.
    Each leg clipped to the slotted toe rail and both the tread and the rise were covered with PVC of uniform length.
    On the bottom tread I inserted a piece of metal pipe to hold it down inside the PVC tread.
    There was a problem with toe room, and the solution was to tie a small fender horizontally that the legs hung over, giving a slight stand off from the hull.
    I also tied a knotted rope to the opposite side of the boat, that gave me something to pull on before and after the life lines.

Whatever method of re-boarding you decide on, I strongly urge you try it while on a mooring at Angel Island. If it doesn't work well there, it may be much worse while moving in a seaway.

Does anyone have the master spreadsheet in .xls format (source format, not PDF) for the LongPac SER? David? Brian?

I made my own spreadsheet for SHF by copying and pasting from the PDF, posted previously, and it was invaluable to keep track of the myriad of details, many of which I would have missed without a spreadsheet (keeping track of expiration dates, product recalls, etc)

But... the spreadsheet PDF for LongPac will not copy properly. It just refuses... try it.

What I could/can do is use the YRA master in .xls format at
    See page https://www.ussailing.org/competitio...l-regulations/
    See link to
    - Excel sheet for Monohull SER document (2022.0), incorporating Instructions, Categories, Appendix and History of Revisions

but there are many SSS-specific changes that will take me hours to incorporate by hand and I will surely make a mistake...

I get my copy from Jibeset.
    Using the "download and print" tab works for me.

https://www.jibeset.net/pdpdown.php?...936/nbrd_0.pdf