Thread: Newbie: some muppet mistakes I made

Default Newbie: some muppet mistakes I made

I'll keep a list here, in this thread, of mistakes I made as a newbie, and will continue to make, in the hope of helping others:

1. Realize this is not Amazon, Apple, or Facebook. There are people and volunteers behind everything at SSS and YRA and they are doing a fantastic, but thankless, job out of love for what they do. They cannot be perfect. They cannot respond instantly. The websites have flaws, there are typos, there will be dead links,
    2. It took me a while to even join the SSS. I thought I had joined last year but it turned out that I really didn't understand Jibeset. I had to join and then pay... I didnt figure that out until this year.
    3. Read everything carefully and then read it again. I did not read the SIs and NORs carefully enough or at least fully appreciate the true depth of the steps and importance of the timing involved and how each is connected. To do Z, you need to do Y first, to do Y you need to do X first and it goes backwards in time by months if not years.
    4. I spent far too much time on getting the boat ready over the winter and did not pay enough attention to paperwork.
    5. As an example of #3 and #4, I did not appreciate what getting my Safety at Sea qualification involved. Then, when I finally did figure it out, at first I thought I needed to do a hands-on course and I looked everywhere for one in the Bay Area but there was nothing. Hopes dashed. Then I asked. Turns out you can so an online two-part course and thats OK.
    6. So, as I am still learning, you can always ask questions. My life has turned around as folks have stepped in to help me with advice. I was drowning before. So ask, I guess, at least until you ask too much.
    7. As another example of #3 and #4, I did not understand the qualifications for LongPac. I thought you had to finish SHF for example. I have been tearing my hair out trying to figure out how I am going to finish SHF before midnight when I am much slower than people who have not made it on a light day.
    8. One that you will laugh at. I knew I needed a PHRF certificate and I paid for one. I did not realize you had to fill in an application form. I am still trying to catch up on that one.
    9. Tracking. I have no idea what the best or easiest tracking device is. I searched and could not find a simple or definitive answer. I ended up buying as many as I could afford because I ran out of time. I still have not finally figured this out.
    10. Safety. I already posted my safety list and I worked through much of this on my own. I just read everything I could. I should have asked. One hour with a seasoned veteran taught me more than a 100 hours on the Internet. For example, I bought a pocket etrier for use at the top of the mast but I hadn't considered that carrying an etrier is probably mush better than the emergency ladder I bought that seemed to be the accepted answer to getting back on board.

I'll stop here at 10 and hope I dont get to 100 as I keep chugging along.

Hahaha, GBR 3068. So you have spent thousands of hours with your head down, searching on the internet instead of just posting here or coming by to talk with someone. What does this make you? A perfect singlehander, that's what. Did you post here and were you ignored? That would be a shame. First things first: What is your name? What is your boat's name? What kind of a boat is it? Where do you keep your boat? So sorry that we have not had in-person meetings: In years before the dreaded Covid that was the very best and nicest way to get to know everybody. So, answer me these questions and we will include you and try to answer all your questions. Honest.

Name:  Round the Rocks 2017.JPG
Views: 331
Size:  119.8 KB

Jackie Philpott s/v Dura Mater Cal 2-27 on E Dock in the Richmond Yacht Club Harbor. There. See? Just like that.

And about that midnight cut off for the Farallones race. What the hell? I only finished once and that was after midnight.
    Last edited by Philpott; 05-10-2022 at 08:51 PM.

Hi Jackie. I'm Mike Smith. Here is my Cal 2-34 EOS: https://www.dwaynenewton.com/Sailing-Vessel-EON/ I'm at Brisbane Marina Dock 6 now. I saw you at the start of the No Trophy race and you were the first to wave at me. That made me feel much better.

I realize now this was and is the best place to ask questions, but I try and find answers first before asking. What I didn't realize is just how much there is besides the boat and sailing to be done.

Meanwhile: I analyzed every SHF race since 2011 on Jibeset after I saw the 00:00 change to the time limit because I cannot see myself finishing before 00:00 on a light day. You are one of the few that routinely posts tracks. What tracking system are you using?

Ray Irvine gave me one of his trackers early on and hasn't asked for it back. I just leave it on my boat plugged into one of my two usb ports. It is a coastal tracker, though, and I don't know if it even goes out as far as the Farallones. Blanks out along Big Sur, for sure, as it is cell tower dependent.

I'll bet you got blasted on the way hone after that race?

Jackie: It wasn't too bad after the race, but I headed south, everyone else headed north. I just couldn't figure out why the entire fleet was tacking in unison up to what looked like a next mark when I thought the finish had been moved. Had to call RC to check. Muppet move #11.

Joe sent out an email about the SHF time limit move to 00:00 (maybe 01:00) and I was OK with that. It is amazing that SSS can find such dedicated volunteers to stay that late standing on the sea wall. I plan to bring up the rear anyway. My only real goal is to get a LongPac qualification so if that happens, great, but if not, I'll find another time. Still dont have a PHRF certificate anyway.