Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2022 Farallones

Default 2022 Farallones

I checked again and realized that Dura Mater and I have finished the Farallones TWICE and both times after midnight. That means that if there is a midnight cut off, well, that would not be good for us. I don't think the Singlehanded Farallones Race has ever had a finish time of midnight before. In fact, in 2021 the finish time was 0800 Sunday morning. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Name:  complaining monkeys.jpg
Views: 809
Size:  54.2 KB

What's going on here? Hello? Is anyone out there? Who made this decision? I think it should be the traditional cut off time of 0600 the next day. Absent that, I want to apply for a waiver of the midnight cut off in favor of a 0600 Sunday finish. What's going on with this club?
    Last edited by Philpott; 05-14-2022 at 10:37 PM.

I think the time I won overall it was after midnight on a 57 rated boat. Midnight wasn't ever a cutoff before as I recall.

Our SSS Commodore finished after midnight in 2017.

Extending the deadline just to 0100 would cover all finish times for the last ten years except for Geodesic, who finished at 0136 in 2016. I didn't go back any farther.

This year's earlier deadline is probably another result of having no SSS Race Chair nor sufficient volunteers to staff the watches.

And only five entries (so far) for the LongPac? Clearly all has not yet returned to normal.

For the personal safety of the RC on the seawall and the commute back home, the RC implemented a 12 a.m. cutoff this year.

Also, the RC does not have a boat or deck to retreat to.

We will stay on station until all boats are inside the gate.

The 1:00 a.m. cutoff sounds like a good idea. If someone would like to volunteer their standing headroom boat, it would make a comfortable retreat.

I would offer to bring Surprise! over but I'll be in final prep for our PacCup qualifier, which we're sailing the week of the 23rd.

One year there were two or three finishers, all within the last hour before the 6? am cutoff. Rich Ray and I were the only ones on the race deck by then.

But we were on the GGYC deck and we could go inside to warm up or have a nap! Respect and thanks to the RC stuck out on the rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Submarino View Post
    For the personal safety of the RC on the seawall and the commute back home, the RC implemented a 12 a.m. cutoff this year.

Also, the RC does not have a boat or deck to retreat to.

We will stay on station until all boats are inside the gate.

The 1:00 a.m. cutoff sounds like a good idea. If someone would like to volunteer their standing headroom boat, it would make a comfortable retreat.
    The SSS can't find a hotel boat to act as a base for the RC? (ask around, someone might not be racing Saturday). Or a van/RV to hang out in? If RC intends to remain on station until all boats are inside the Gate, where will RC be hanging out such that they couldn't finish a boat that arrived after 1AM? A midnight cut-off on SSS Farallones is far too early.

- rob/beetle

https://rvshare.com/

This place does RV rentals. I did a search for driveable RV's within 15 miles of Oakland and came up with a lot of options. Prices were from about $225/night to over $400 a night. Figure, pick up Friday night and drive to the GGYC. Return on Sunday morning...two nights, probably $450 - $500 for an RV with an inside table to tot up finishers and get out of the wind.

I'm not sure if the City of San Francisco allows overnight parking by the GGYC, though.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

A night shoot at the Oakland port last night had me showing fellow crew members the MarineTraffic app when a big ship came in. I scrolled out and said, Hey I know that boat. What the hell are they doing...
    Oh, it's the SHF, tonight.
    I hope you finished.
    Name:  IMG_3270.PNG
Views: 585
Size:  381.6 KB
    Last edited by Tchoupitoulas; 05-22-2022 at 08:42 PM.

That's interesting. I think that is me (EOS) at TI Marina where I spent the night after SHF. Assuming so, EOS shows up as two diamonds: one blue and one purple, for two AIS transponders. First time I have seen that. I did get two transponders for safety but showing up twice is a side benefit I guess.