Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2022 Farallones

RC records show SoB sticking it out until 11:51 a.m. which is within an hour of all our retirees. Sailors reported waves were pretty square and tightly spaced in the channel.

Darren is offline Enough to be safely dange

What is needed from the volunteers on the rocks? I've thought about volunteering for a few things in general and find myself more willing to volunteer when I know what is expected and what is my impact is. Do I'd help out with the Long PAC buy I'll be in New Mexico for the holiday. Do you need people for the drake's bay event? Do you need a boat to help? My boat isn't offshore grade yet but I'm game to crew and do a watch for finishers.

This year's Farallones was too lumpy for DM and me. Waves weren't scary high, but they were really close together and there just wasn't enough wind for us to get through 'em. Lots of hobby horsing around for us and others, too. Then we went sideways a couple of times with no way, and it just became no fun. Had I not been taking bonine every 12 hours since Thursday night the cockpit would've gotten ugly, too.

Regardless, it's always fun to start, and it was glorious toward the gate and then under it; blue sky and plenty of wind and then ... less and less wind. I thought that, once it smoothed out past Point Bonita, conditions would improve, but it just didn't smooth out. The wind didn’t pick up, either, and I didn't have the patience to wait it out. So we turned around, headed for the gate.

Then I realized there were only 24 feet of water beneath us. Whoops! We had gone north because I thought the gods were smiling upon us: Great! Let's go this way before the west wind fills in! Right? Wrong. There we were at the outer northwest bit of the Potato Patch. Then I realized that it was good that we DIDN'T have more wind because we would have been in the wrong place for that. Silly me.

Into the bay we came and headed over toward GGYC where the OYRA boats were all starting for one of their summer series races. Threaded through those hyped up sailors and motored to a GGYC dock. Went inside and asked permission from Bob, the nice manager there, flew my RYC burgee and signed in. This reciprocity business. Me like it. Mike Cunningham helped me tie up but then he left.

It was nice standing around talking with sailors again. Like the old days with everybody from the Club that is Not Yacht. Wish we could have more of that. I'm looking forward to Half Moon Bay.

Regardless, it was a chilly night and we all huddled behind Joe's SUV. He had sandwiches, donuts, coffee, cookies, apple danishes and munchies. Plus all the equipment: patio chairs, a table, the antenna sticking out the sunroof, the pad in back for camper sailing, the shabby old VHF and a golf cart battery. It's alot of work being Commodore of a club without a clubhouse. And without a Race Chair, too. Thank you, Joe.

Grant Kiba and Sam McFadden used to work together, and Sam had persuaded Grant to bring his boat from Marina Bay in Richmond so the RC could hang out somewhere warm. Grant was delayed a bit. When he arrived on his 911 he was a little wild eyed, said that he had trouble getting around Point Blunt, something about 30 knots and the flood at Point Blunt. Said he had to try twice, laughed about the timing. He was a really good sport. Plus he brought that food.

Grant tied up at the next slip over from DM and made us all dinner. Seriously. He said he only had enough food for eight. We were fine with that because there were only eight of us. He grilled us sausages and vegetable skewers. And he had cold beer! And cookies! This is the man with whom to raft up next in Drakes Bay. All I had to offer were Trader Joe's cookies.

Then all we had to do was wait for those sailors to arrive. Must've been a real roller coaster out there and they all sounded weary at the end.
    Here are some photos. All hail the 2022 Farallones Finishers.

Here's the first to finish, Jamani. Mulvihill the Elder.

Name:  Jamani copy.JPG
Views: 396
Size:  172.5 KB

Then Werewolf, Mulvihill the Younger.

Name:  Werewolf - Copy.JPG
Views: 396
Size:  174.2 KB

Then, not in any order, Eos

Name:  Eos 4 - Copy.JPG
Views: 407
Size:  200.2 KB

and Pork Chop Express

Name:  Pork Chop copy.JPG
Views: 415
Size:  287.7 KB

And Kalia, with Steve Saul preparing for the Long Pac and his third SHTP

Name:  Kalia - Copy.JPG
Views: 250
Size:  419.8 KB

And I've posted five photos so I'll do another post of Geodesic, with Ralph Morgenstern aboard.
    Last edited by Philpott; 05-23-2022 at 10:47 PM.

Here is Geodesic at the finish. Ralph passed us like we were standing still.

Name:  Geodesic - Copy.JPG
Views: 416
Size:  189.7 KB

Here is the second shift RC for the 2022 Farallones: Alden Cramer, Paul Jolly, Joe Balderrama, Grant Kiba, Sam McFadden and Richard Reitmeyer.

Name:  Farallones 2022 RC.JPG
Views: 397
Size:  264.3 KB
    Last edited by Philpott; 05-23-2022 at 11:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    So we turned around, headed for the gate.
    I hope you had SPF 500 on your ears, else right about that time they would have been burning from all the laurels Christine Weaver was throwing your way during the delta doo dah thing at RYC!
    Five copies of What I Saw on raffle...maybe 10 boats represented...surely this time my luck....d'oh! Oh well, Amazon to the rescue.

-Adam

Name:  IMG_2875.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  97.0 KB
    Last edited by Lanikai; 05-24-2022 at 01:44 PM.

hahaha! Free books? What's not to like? Sorry you didn't get one. They get grubbier and grubbier as people pass them on to each other. One will show up at the Berkeley Marina harbormaster's office sooner or later.