Thread: 2022 SHF track with newbie mistakes

Default 2022 SHF track with newbie mistakes

Continued saga of newbie mistakes in an attempt to help others. This one on 2022 SHF.

I tried using my AIS to let Jibeset track me on Saturday in 2022 SHF. I have Class A and B AIS, and Class A updates much more frequently than B and has greater range, but Jibeset ignores all Class A. I have both Iridium GO!/PredictWind and Garmin GPSMAP because I left it too late to figure everything out. I still haven't figured out how to extract GPX from PredictWind (I am working on it with them and they are helpful) but did manage to extract GPX from Garmin MapShare (what a terrible user experience Garmin has and they are not helpful...). I talked to Ray Irvine and there were no AIS-tracking-enabled boats in the SHF so AIS-based tracking was difficult. My original AIS track cut off about 2/3 of the way to SE Farallon, so I uploaded my Garmin track which you can see here: https://www.jibeset.net/gpsshare.php...fb829840d7dd2e If you select the radio button for "Marker Spacing: Every 10 Mins" you can more easily follow along with markers as shown and numbered comments as follows (I gave up on trying to figure out JPEG forum post sizing, so it is what it is...) :
    1. Start. I was too afraid to practice at yellow X so I moved down to Gashouse Cove and used the similarly situated white buoy there. I was still too afraid at the start so I just used my main and did figure of 8's, let the current carry me over the line and then unfurled the jib. There were kayakers in the path so I had my engine running just in case. I don't know whether thats against the law, probably. I will always do it though.
    2. I am very wary of drifting in the shipping channel. I started my engine to be safe in case I needed it quickly. I did use my engine here to get out of a possible dangerous situation. I mailed RC to DSQ/RET/RAF me, but I had already asked Joe if this was a scenario to be frowned on, should I continue to try and count this as my LongPac qualifier so I kept going.
    3. Southerly counter-clockwise eddy. Very rare for the eddy off ocean Beach to go this far North and as it turns out (I think) last all day. I emailed local forecaster Mike Godsey, who was one of the first to identify this micro-feature, to see if it is possible to re/de-construct what happened here on Saturday. I do have a picture of the smaller eddy from Friday (when I did a practice run) that I will post separately.
    4. Hand steering to be compared with autopilot on the way back. Basically my CPT autopilot is much better than I am. I didnt use my Monitor/Pelagic on this run, probably should have. I kept tweaking course. Dumb. This track does give me a better idea of my polars though, which are terrible - not because of the the boat, but me. I used an estimate of 6.0 knots across the board for initial PredictWind routing scenarios, but that's not at all realistic for me. I deliberatly went by both the Scripps and NOAA yellow buoys just to check where I was. I guess GPS works.
    5. Took the island way too wide and several caught up miles on me. I was just too scared after reading about LSC. I split the difference between the island and the rock to the north.
    6. Took it very easy on the way back with reef down to the 3rd batten on my roller (about 40% main) and 130 jib down to about 80%. Quite happy at that sailplan as the wind went up and down. Several folks overtook me.
    7. Couldn't decide what the best thing to do was. I remembered the advice to stay in deep water so I hugged the main channel just to the north.
    8. Really screwed up here. I am most comfortable when I wind/kite surf outside the gate on the Bonita side rather than Mile Rock, so I went North, and then .... wait a minute there's a tanker coming... how am I going to cross it? Not a problem at 30 mph on a foiling windsurf or kiteboard. So quick change of plan and followed two other boats: one in front of me, one behind me, who had already planned to go south and I lost a lot here for safety. Wind was still really wonky here and I am guessing it was still the eddy. Normally you get anywhere close to Mile Rock and its blowing straight into the gate, but not that day.
    9. Wind got really light by the gate (for me) and should have known better than to try and cut the corner and go through the S Tower wind shadow. Dumb.
    10 Long slog back. Best bet was to keep in the middle where the wind is and then cut over but I was just too tired to do it right and just pointed the boat home and waited.

Name:  Farallones 2022-05-21 EOS.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  700.8 KB
    Last edited by GBR3068; 05-23-2022 at 09:00 AM.

Here is the similar eddy from Friday...

Name:  eddy v2 Screen Shot 2022-05-20 at 5.57.08 PM.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  500.1 KB

So Mike Godsey says that Saturday wasn't a big eddy *for the early morning*. I am used to sailing in the afternoon by which time the eddy often/usually disappears. Mike says when there is cloud you can easily see the eddy by satellite, see the attached if it comes through... Another muppet error on my part.

Name:  EddyDawn2019-05-07-17_04_55.gif
Views: 388
Size:  1.78 MB

Darren is offline Enough to be safely dange

How do you like the inReach? I just got one for work and was thinking about getting one for personal use. I was also looking at the new spot. I haven't looked at the fees for the spot.

My wife likes the idea of being able to follow me when I'm going solo.

Congratulations for finishing and thanks for posting about your day. Though, we all try to finish well, just finishing is an accomplishment not possible for some.

I think you learned a lot and my hats off to your wide island rounding. I don't mind setting a 1 nautical mile way point at the northern apex. I too have lost a few places rounding, but its only one regatta of many.

Just a quick note about the "rock to the north." That's the Middle Farallon Island. Good to know what and where it is since it is not lit after dark nor has a sound for fog, and poses a danger.
    "5. Took the island way too wide and several caught up miles on me. I was just too scared after reading about LSC. I split the difference between the island and the rock to the north."

@Darren
    >> How do you like the inReach?
    1. I like PredictWind + Iridium GO! better than my GPSMAP 86sci for ease of use, but so far anyway much less flexible in getting routes and tracks
    2. My wife found it easier to follow me using the Garmin website for some reason I haven't figured out yet
    3. PredictWind support is good, Garmin is non-existent
    4. You at least have a chance with the PredictWind and Iridium software, I have never seen a worse interface than Garmin. The handheld has an ancient circa 2000 interface and the Garmin online software is just plain incomprehensible. I thought my tracking was messed up but I see, for example, S/V Cloudy Bay has the same problem: https://www.sailcloudybay.com/boat-location/ Its impossible to see where you've been...
    5. I discovered that it is going to be difficult to have my wife or me follow my own tracks and send reports to Ray and SSS at the same time. For example, you only have one email address you can send data to in PredictWind + Iridium GO! I'm going to have to try mail forwarding to multiple addresses.
    6. The Garmin in my limited testing seems absolutely rock solid in transmission and GPS reception.
    7. The Garmin has a nice mounting system that goes onto RAM mounts and means I can use it as a backup chartplotter at the wheel.
    8. I have been giving some feedback to Ray and he has really improved the tracking results when tracking is spotty. Take a look at Pork Chop Express tracking now in the SHF this year. You can clearly see when the data drops now.
    9. For sending texts and emails, each has its own +/-. For example, the Iridium interface uses a phone which is easy but you need a phone.
    10 I'll stop at 10 for now. Overall, I like having both Iridium GO! and the Garmin.
    Last edited by GBR3068; 05-31-2022 at 12:44 PM.