Thread: Pacific Cup = Many SSS Sailors

Default Pacific Cup = Many SSS Sailors

Here are some photos from the finish line of the 2022 Pacific Cup, with some people we all know. As Skip pointed out, he counts 15 SSS ers in Kaneohe Bay. Hopefully they'll tell us more about their trips.

Randy Leisure doublehanded on Mark Jordan's boat, a Hanse 342, s/v Twelve Winded Sky. Here he is with Mark.

Name:  randy and friend.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  17.2 KB

Here he is with his wife, Dani.

Name:  Randy and Dani.jpg
Views: 508
Size:  53.3 KB

Here is Carliane Johnson with her crew aboard Kynntana.

Name:  Kynntana arrives (1).jpg
Views: 459
Size:  730.2 KB

Congratulations to everyone. All safe and relieved to be off the water, I'm sure

Here are Dave Morris and Bob Johnston, mai tais in hand, on Surprise! at her finish.

Name:  EFAE938B-83CB-43C7-B01B-A538521BD5F6.jpeg
Views: 298
Size:  402.3 KB

Photos from Bob Johnston, via the Pacific Cup's facebook page, and Ronnie Simpson.

Name:  1D8CB7F1-B472-464E-861E-E4B8711DE2FB.jpeg
Views: 478
Size:  435.1 KB
    Last edited by Philpott; 07-24-2022 at 05:38 PM.

Pacific Cup or not, it all comes back to Hanalei Bay for this crowd, doesn't it? Here's a photo from Bob Johnston, with s/v Rainbow, the mother ship, over to the left. Bob asked for Cliff's phone number, so they will probably connect. Bob's grandson, Jack, loves Hanalei Bay. I see an SHTP in his future, maybe 17 years from now? For some of Skip's macapuna ice cream, who was the youngest SHTP participant?

Name:  Hanalei Bay 072522.JPG
Views: 457
Size:  593.0 KB

I don’t recall any SSS finishers with age information, but I would guess the youngest was Amy Boyer in her Wilderness 21 Little Rascal.

Ants

More from Bob J. Photos to follow

More SHTP memories from Kauai...

Thanks for Cliff's number. He joined us for lunch at the Tahiti Nui and was delightful as always. In fact, we closed the place down. Apparently one of the restrooms had a problem and they closed the whole place, just as we were finishing our lunch. (No, it wasn't me!)

Bubba's in Hanalei is now Federico's Fresh Mex = a total bummer. They didn't even ask me first. I had to get my "Double Bubba" at the Bubba's in Kapa'a.

Our Hanalei Bay t-shirts are getting unwearable so we stopped by to see Melanie at Spinning Dolphin Designs, who made us new ones. Melanie's shop is also the headquarters of the Hanalei Yacht Club. Melanie and her late husband Don were one of three couples, originally from Dana Point, who founded the HYC. At one point the club had about fifty members! Melanie is doing great and certainly remembers "those crazy singlehanders."

Bob J.
    (Photos)

s/v Surprise! will head back from Nawiliwili on Saturday w Bob Johnston, Dave Morris and Dr Neil, a friend from Half Moon Bay.

More from Bob j: Tropical Storm Frank. It's headed farther north than usual for these storms, possibly into our return route. See if this works:

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_ep...start#contents

One correction: Surprise! spent her entire Hawaii visit at the Kaneohe Yacht Club, thanks to the graciousness of its dockmeisters and other volunteers. I fly back over to Honolulu (from Lihue) tomorrow to meet Dave and Dr. Neil. We hope to be underway tomorrow night.

Round trip tix from HNL to LIH were just $56 including all taxes, and no wear-and-tear on the boat. Couldn't pass that up.