Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Seminars SHTP 2023

Default Seminars SHTP 2023

I'm updating this post with an updated schedule, and finalized zoom meetings -

the most notable change is to the 2nd Wednesday of each month, with the intent of removing a conflict with the 3BF skippers meeting

For now, we are keeping these on zoom, although I have added an emergency rudder test and "cruise in" in April - this is on a Saturday, with no conflict with SSS races

Last, I have set up a recurring Zoom meeting, so you only need to register once.
    Here is the Link

NOTE - We Need Presenters! Don't make me hunt you down! - if you feel like you can contribute and lead one of these discussions, please let me know!
    DH
    Name:  2023_SHTP_Seminars schedule.jpg
Views: 990
Size:  153.7 KB
    Last edited by DaveH; 11-19-2022 at 02:26 PM.

I'm happy to contribute on some of these topics. I'd like to suggest mental preparation, considering the importance of this topic in Andrew's book and how it can impact one's performance or enjoyment.

I want residuals.

Just say when and which topic Dave... happy to help.

Default seminar suggestion

Hi Dave,
    As much as I would like to attend the seminars in person, I will need to attend the zoom seminars. Since I am in the central time zone it will be a little late at night by the time they are finished. If it is possible, it would be helpful if the seminars could be recorded and posted with a link in the resources page, or somewhere. Hopefully that would be easier to do than finding a trucker to transport a 35,000 pound 39 foot boat (not counting 10 combined feet of bowsprit and pushpit) 2500 miles across the country, for a price that doesn't give me a heart attack caused by sticker shock!
    Thank you for running this show. You are doing a good job of it.
    Jim Bates

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    Seems like we should get seminars for 2023 kicked off -

here is a proposed schedule of dates and Seminar topics

Live or Via Video/Zoom??
    The plan is to do a hybrid - we will find a venue or venues to meet in person, but given the high number of folks outside the SF Bay area, it seems very likely that there will be some zoom participants. We can and will make that happen!

NOTE - We Need Presenters! Don't make me hunt you down! - if you feel like you can contribute and lead one of these discussions, please let me know!
    DH

Attachment 7589

Hi Dave,
    As much as I would like to attend the seminars in person, I will have to attend the zoom seminars. Since I am in the New Orleans area of the Central Time Zone, it will be a little late at night here, by the time they are finished. If it is possible, It would be helpful if the seminars could be recorded and posted with a link somewhere, perhaps the resources page.
    Thank you for your efforts. You are doing a good job of it.
    Jim Bates

Though crewed racing to Hawaii in the Los Angeles to Honolulu Transpac on bigger, faster, boats has only marginal relevancy to 2023 SHTP, crews in both races will be on the same ocean at the same time in late June/early July. If you want to poach some pre-race LA Transpac seminars, here is the Zoom info:
    First pre-race Transpac Seminar on Nov 9th.
    Free Zoom presentation will be from 6:00-8:00 PM PST
    Facebook * Twitter * Instagram * YouTube *

Quick links:
    Transpac website
    Preparation Seminar on Nov 9th for Transpac 2023
    The first of a series of seminars organized by the Transpacific Yacht Club

October 12, 2022 - Los Angeles, CA – For many offshore sailors, participation in the 2225-mile biennial Transpac race from Los Angeles to Honolulu is a bucket-list experience, the race of a lifetime. The success and enjoyment of this race, however, is very much dependent on proper preparation.

The Transpacific Yacht Club is pleased to announce the first of several planned pre-race seminars to help prepare for next year’s 52nd edition of the race, which has three start dates: June 27, June 29 and July 1, 2023.

The first seminar will be held on Zoom on Wednesday, November 9th from 6:00 to 8:00 PM PST. This seminar will focus on several different elements of offshore race preparation, and features four experts with multiple Transpac pedigrees.

These include:

Robbie Haines: Olympic Gold Medalist/Multiple Barn Door winner
    -Pre-race prep, planning and training
    -Maximize the next 6 months
    -Manage your program correctly
    -Q&A

Jib Kelly: Class Winner/Navigator/Electronics Expert
    -Current technology for communications/electronics
    -Best Practices for navigation and on-board systems
    -How much data do you need? What will it cost?
    -Q&A

Brian Janney: North Sails Offshore Expert/Pyewacket crew
    -Sail Inventory - what sails are needed for Transpac?
    -Sail Repair Kit – what to include
    -Crossover Charts and Polars
    -Q&A

Randy Smith: Veteran of 12 races/Class Winner
    -Safety at Sea – Preparing the Crew
    -Boat gear vs. personal gear
    -Preparing for the worst-case scenario - survivor of OEX sinking
    -Q&A
    The seminar will allow time for questions from the audience for all presenters.

The November 9th Transpac Preparation Seminar is free of charge and open to all who are already registered for the race, those thinking of registering, and all others who just want to learn more about offshore race preparation.

To register for Zoom access to the seminar, click here. https://transpacyc.com/race-info/for...ration-seminar

For more information on Transpac 2023, visit the event website at www.transpacyc.com.
    Last edited by sleddog; 10-12-2022 at 08:26 PM.

Thanks Sled for the above!
    We are on schedule our first scheduled seminar, coming right up.
    I will update the above list with presenters and more importantly zoom links shortly.
    We're committed to a virtual format, with hopefully a live component as well.
    Given the Wednesday schedule and a preponderance of out of bay area entries to date, I think the emphasis will be on the virtual, with the in-person aspect a nice to have.

DH

Default Seminar Schedule

Looking forward to the seminars. Since i am in the Monterey area, I will likely have to attend by zoom.

And BTW... Thanks for getting me re-sorted out for receiving the forum posts and the ability to post. If you are reading this, then it worked!!! LOL

Much appreciated and looking forward to sailing the SSTP with you all.

Michael Polkabla
    Solstice Cal40 #4

Sounds great Dave,
    Lining in Arizona, I will probably do many of the meetings via Zoom, but wide there in person for a few of them.

Cheers
    Michael Thomson