Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Drakes Bay 2022

Default Drakes Bay 2022

Good day,
    I'm considering joining in. When/where is the skippers' meeting? And would a racer be ok if I'd raft with them, piggy ride their anchor, conditions permitting of course? I know I know, I should use my own ...

Skippers' meeting is this Wednesday at 7:30 p.m. via zoom. We will send out link to current and season race entrants.

If you are short an anchor, I am sure there would be people here who could help out. Just in case.

JB

Oh, I do have anchors. They're just not an attractive proposition on CaB :-)

Chance of a blow Sat night..... you're kind of large to be side tied to another overnight being one of the largest boats there.
    Last edited by solosailor; 08-19-2022 at 08:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by solosailor View Post
    Chance of a blow Sat night..... you're kind of large to be side tied to another overnight being one of the largest boats there.
    But I'm light :-)

FYI, still no sailing instructions?

It's not the weight, it's the windage and your boat has a lot of it. I'll bet your boat "sails on its anchor" all too well.

Buzz nearly put CA Condor on the beach up there. It took him most of Sunday to get floating again to come home. You might check with him about recommended ground tackle and setup. This must be taken seriously. A friend's J/37 got blown onto the beach in Drake's Bay and the boat had to be cut up and hauled away. Very expensive, not including the value of the boat.

Sailing Instructions:
    https://jibeset.net/show.php?RR=YRA_...DOC=cr&TYP=pdf
    Last edited by BobJ; 08-19-2022 at 11:34 AM.

I was next to Buzz, and yes, he was up on the beach at low tide. I was encouraged to burn the negatives. There was a power boat accompanying Buzz anchored further out. When we left it was trying to pull him off. i believe another boat went up further East that same morning and also got off.

SailFlow's HRRR 3 km forecast is suggesting South in the low teens around 04:00 building into the mid-teens plus before dawn. NOAA is suggesting South in the high single digits rising around 04:00, but staying below 10 knots. That makes the N end of Drakes Bay a lee shore. Anchor watch time.

When does Race One/Saturday start?

Having never anchored at Drakes in a southerly, how bad and how fast does it get bad? I'll make my decision after the models update but right now HRRR and NAM both say a southerly at 0500 Sunday.

Anchoring there once in a southerly, we now carry a galley belt aboard.