Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Drakes Bay 2022

Kalia: I like that.

So the chain goes out to 100', the attachment line comes up, you hang on to the chain somehow (brake works in this situation somehow) while you untie the line, attach the 1/2" nylon line.
    Now when you retrieve the line, Lofrans says the gypsy is chain only, so do you start on the capstan and then change to the gypsy when you get to chain?

I really like the fact that the gypsy will take shackles and you can easily mix rode types. No hope on the Lewmar. I'm not sure the Lewmar electric windlass is buying me much on a small boat. I don't even have manual over-ride on the Lewmar. Why would you design it like that?

I don’t have an anchor locker hatch. Don't have room for one either. No matter, a manual flexible gypsy like the Lofrans could still work. The problem would be switching from chain to rope with so little space that I have between windlass and the hawse pipe/hole. I would lose the ability to remotely anchor and deanchor from the helm on easy days. The Lewmar does 1 ft/second. The Lofrans 1 ft/second. The Lewmar 60 lb. Lofrans 630 lb.

Economics:

Lofrans Manual Windlass $300 used from an auto detail shop in Stockton sourced on Craigslist. It works great.
    3" hawse pipe and lid $30 Blue Pelican in Alameda. Sometimes they have the perfect part.
    Small bow roller to make the chain turn into the locker $37 Westmarine
    The expensive bit was the 5/16s chain at $4.35/ft at Svendsens but that was the best price locally.

But all in, I am very satisfied with the cost and performance. I have not had an issue with the transition between the line and chain. Usually haul in the line by hand and engage the chain on the gypsy. In heavy conditions like you experienced, the switch from the capstan to the gypsy could be challenging.

I just talked with CG Command and they let me know the distress call I got on Saturday (see above) at about 1:33 pm local was "inadvertent" / "equipment malfunction". Whats interesting is it probably confirms the fact that DSC was activated and I received the distress call beyond the VHF voice range. CG didnt know about the mechanism for MOBs signaling an ALL SHIPS call though. I need to check on that. I've had and seen a few TEST calls (not 003669999 tests but ship-ship requests) but this was the first ALL SHIPS I had seen. Did anyone else see it?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by GBR3068; 08-22-2022 at 07:05 PM.

Any reports about Drakes in the southerly from the smaller boats with outboards? Outsider or The Pork Chop?

Hate to say it ... I did get that message. It beeped loudly on my newly installed VHF. I didn't care to look and cleared the message. Now I know to pay more attention. My thinking was DSC is for USCG not CaB. I do listen to 16.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Gutoff View Post
    Any reports about Drakes in the southerly from the smaller boats with outboards? Outsider or The Pork Chop?
    No report but from what I could see the West end was very calm. Boats were not bouncing at all. By the old fishing pier.

I posted earlier in the thread about the race and anchorage...... I've been up there many times and it was the worse for sea state even compared to 30k overnight in the normally protected NW direction. Videos I saw from racers at Drakes this weekend were the same as we had..... bucking bronco all night.

As to my excellent working ground tackle I have 15ft of chain and 200' of line on a Fortress FX16 which is a size larger than recommended for my boat but still a light aluminum version. I put out about 5:1.

Here is an anchoring guide from Fortress: https://fortressanchors.com/resource...choring-guide/

Quote Originally Posted by Submarino View Post
    The results posted on YRA site and soon the SSS... https://www.jibeset.net/YRA000.php?RG=T005137787 See Race 8 and Race 9 for Drakes Bay results.
    I see race 2 for SSS but not race 1 yet?

Quote Originally Posted by jamottep View Post
    And now to fix the lights ...
    That was an easy fix. After starting troubleshooting and checking voltage, I realized I wasn't using the right switch on the breaker panel. Stupid ... All is good for the masthead tricolor. The other lights are known to be trouble ...