Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Half Moon Bay 2022

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3,103

    Default Half Moon Bay 2022

    I drove down to Half Moon Bay today and what did I learn from Martha? The meal du jour for the SSS race on September 17 will be paella. Looking forward to that. More information will follow as soon as the pricing is determined.

    Name:  HMB floating dock.JPG
Views: 249
Size:  1.51 MB

    As far as I know, Dave Morris plans to lay extra fat anchors all around the floating dock so we can raft up along it yet again this year and not worry about dragging it away. This is a big effort. Thank you, Dave.
    Last edited by Philpott; 09-04-2022 at 10:58 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    37.205346,-121.963398
    Posts
    780

    Default

    THanks to Dave and the HMBYC for welcoming us all. It should be a fun event. I have an operational boat again and hope to make the finish line.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3,103

    Default

    This from Martha Huddle, vice commodore of Half Moon Bay Yacht Club:

    Just wanted to let you know that dinner Saturday is a bit more expensive. Seafood paella with chorizo and chicken and salad for $30 or veggie paella and salad for $25. You can sign up on our website calendar. Look forward to seeing you all.

    Register and pay for dinner here:

    https://www.hmbyc.org/default.aspx?p...d=100045&chgs=
    Last edited by Philpott; 09-12-2022 at 05:47 PM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Santa Rosa
    Posts
    624

    Default

    Given the weather forecast and lack of berths at Pillar Point I've decided to stay home tomorrow. There is a paid for dinner awaiting me at the HMB YC. If someone wants it, it's yours. PM me. Pat Broderick

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2021
    Location
    Palo Alto
    Posts
    58

    Default

    I decided to start the HMB race with a friend, with three of us for dinner, but we tried to do some risk assessment on the way to HMB. The factors, assessment and decision might help another newbie at some point:
    1. There was only a little bit of discussion of bad weather at Skippers Meeting and to a question I asked on anchorage in the expected S storm, the answer was that HMB is exposed to S. Other questions on where to anchor and where not to anchor would be answered by follow-up.
    2. First and second RC follow-up messages are below. I hope reading these messages may help another newbie in some similar situation in future.
    3. It looked like a race to the slips, with unknown starters and unknown slips. There were about 30 boats registered, 20-21 at the Skippers meeting and in the end 19 starters with 7 multihulls registered, 2 that started and that didn't look like they were getting slips, leaving 17 boats with an unknown number of HMB slips. We counted about 13 boats at the start, I dont know how we missed counting so many boats, some must have sneaked up late.
    4. Weather looked to be bad starting at 4am. Switch to S. Gusts 30 mph+. In addition weather on Sunday looked bad. 35 mph+ at the SF Pilot Station. I thought about whether I would choose to sail to SF in 35 mph+ if I were setting out from HMB on Sunday and the answer was a definite "maybe not".
    4. I emailed RC that I would start and then call HMB to assess. I repeated this at the VHF checkin. We called HMB three times after the start and got through at 1pm. There was a great lady that answered, she understood the situation immediately and checked her slip inventory. She said she had about 10 slips. She confirmed the entire fishing fleet was coming in because of the storm. Seemed prudent to take notice of the big boy decisions. Based on this information and the above we bailed and returned to SF.
    5. On the way back we saw no traffic. Every VTS traffic report on Saturday afternoon was "No reported traffic N, W or S". The only boat we saw was the big cruise ship (with stabilizers) leaving on schedule. That sort of told us all we needed.
    6. Looking at the weather today I see that indeed there were S gusts to 30 as predicted and its going up again now.


    Why not just anchor at HMB? At the Drake's Bay race I couldn't pull my 35 lb. Manson Supreme out on 200 ft chain in 25 ft. in a southerly. I got to about 45 ft left and a big set came through, pulled the chain bar tight, shock loaded the bow roller and 1/4" steel plate twisted and bent like paper. I cut the chain and anchor loose. Svendsen's fixed the bow roller with 1/2" steel plate. I will now break the boat before the plate (which of course worries me). I bought a big Spade and a big Viking based on Panope testing (in addition to the Fortress and Danforth I carry as backups). So could I raise a new anchor in a forecast 30-35 mph S wind anchoring at HMB for the first time on the Sunday morning? and it would be single-handed as my friend was one-way. Answer was: maybe. So that told me I should bail.

    I am still really curious about the best way to weigh anchor solo in heavy wind and seas (there is a lot of material available on setting anchor and I'm quite happy with that). The pull on a 35 ft boat in 30 mph is variously estimated at around 900 lb with shock loads to 4000. Based on the Drake's Bay damage, I believe the 4000 lb number. I could not easily handle manually pulling the anchor solo in those worst-case conditions. There is next-to-nothing I can find on this topic. Skip Novak had this to say:

    Skip >> What you need to recover it manually is two proprietary chain hooks with line leaders, long enough to go from the bow roller back to the primary cockpit winches. Why two? Because the new lead from the roller will most likely have to bypass the chain brake, so you can use use them alternately, sweeping lengths of chain along the side deck.

    That is close to what I experimented with on EOS at Drake's Bay: a nylon 1/2" dock line on a Mantus chain hook led to a cabin top winch. I didn't have enough confidence to perservere with this approach but after getting Skip's endorsement, I think that is the direction I will go. Essentially use cabin top winches (I have two near the mast) as capstans. I have other ideas about all chain vs rope rode vs mix and where the nylon should go, but I'll start another post on that.


    Message 1
    =======
    Mike:

    From David Morris, our Person In Charge for "setting your water brakes" at HMB.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Low pressure systems coming in on Saturday night will create unsafe conditions at HMB YC s floating dock.

    Winds on Sunday morning at about 4 am to come out of the south at 12 with gusts to 18 knots.

    That is a bad direction for the docks as it has a lot of fetch for the waves to adds to the force on the docks and no wind break like our normal NW winds from the buildings.

    At this time I would possibly be able to allow some boats 27 and under to tie up for the evening to the dock BUT would require them to get out on their own ground anchor later.

    I will provide a power boat to shuttle people back and forth till about 9 pm that night if they just want to anchor out close to the YC.

    The inner harbor may be a better choice for a better night s sleep with the wind swap in the middle of the night. One slip can handle several boats over there. If they have an area with both slips available between 2 fingers half the fleet could be there like Vallejo raft-ups.

    If the winds from the south look like they will be less then we can probably accommodate the 27 and under boats for the night but I can t say at this point.

    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    From SSS RC:

    All boats should plan appropriately. Plan on No overnight ties at floating dock. Have good ground tackle or berth at Pillar Point Harbor, they do not take reservations, first come first serve. Call 650-726-4382 when you finish before 5 p.m., else VHF 74 after 5 p.m. They expect sufficient space for our fleet.

    Pillar Point has red tagged all Mooring Balls as Dangerous due to a recent inspection. Do not tie up to them.

    For further questions, contact racechair@sfbaysss.org.

    See you on the Line!

    Message 2
    =======

    Mike:

    From Carliane Johnson, SSS Halfmoon Bay Race Chair and HMBYC member:

    Halfmoon Bay yacht club has a direct line of sight to the finish line so observers there will be able to better compare with the finish times that are submitted.

    Given the conditions that are expected Saturday at HMBYC, only the smaller boats (27 feet or less) will be tied up to the floating dock and then they will have to anchor out after dinner.

    As of Thursday evening, the forecasts are still all over the board from pretty mild with rain to “it could be bad.” There is adequate anchorage in the outer harbor on the east end and there will be some slips in the inner harbor. The club should be able to get everyone accommodated. They will figure it all out on Saturday.

    There will be three club motor dinghies with skippers to pick up and return anchor outs on Saturday up to 9 PM so you can make it to dinner. There will be at least one dinghy running Sunday morning to pick up anyone who wants to come in for breakfast and coffee – even in the rain so bring your gear.

    There will be another event in the clubhouse Saturday night so dining will be al fresco. No rain is expected until later, but it will be cold.

    As to the other questions from the Skippers’ Meeting, there is no shoaling to be concerned about except please don’t anchor near Johnson’s Pier (it is a navigation concern) and don’t anchor any closer to shore than the white powerboat near the sunken fishing boat on the west side of the club. Best to avoid that area entirely when there is a downwind fetch.

    Call on the radio VHF 69, if any of this is not clear. We won’t really know how bad conditions might be until Friday. Right now, it looks like it might clear up later in the day on Sunday and it could be a nice run home with the southerly. The HMBYC members are looking forward to seeing everyone from SSS.

    From Cliff Shaw “Rainbow” multihull:
    As of 12:00 noon today Friday, the HMB Harbormaster says they will not be able to accommodate multihulls or other vessels needing an end tie Saturday night. They have few end/side ties and will be saving them for the fishing fleet, apparently expected to come in to avoid weather overnight

    Anchoring in/near the mooring field is ok since the balls are red-tagged and it should be pretty empty, but must use our own anchors of course. For those who haven't anchored there, there is kelp and grass, to contend with, so extra care is needed to insure a good set. I'll have my dingy and motor to help with shore service, too.

    Cliff Shaw
    Rainbow
    Last edited by GBR3068; 09-19-2022 at 09:21 AM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    104

    Default

    Ahoy! Here is the photo album from the HMB race. Please add any pics and short videos you took here:

    https://photos.app.goo.gl/2tWsGRUPzHywpv8d8

    Tortuga and I had a great sail. There was a good steady breeze at the start and then once out the gate gusts into the 20’s. It was pretty giddy up tacking out into the ocean and then once out, I was able to fall off the wind a bit. Was cooking along at 7.5 knots for a few hours and then got too close to making the mark at Colorado reef buoy and lost all wind and momentum. Had to claw my way back around it so I could take it to port. Should have sailed out more and taken out the reef earlier. The last time I did this race I placed first overall but got smacked at the finish with super gusty winds so I was sailing conservatively. Nowhere to go but down right? We didn’t place very well this time but at least we were not DFL! Lots of talk later at the Half Moon Bay Yacht Club about the weather today. There were quite a few racers who finished and then just turned around and headed back to the bay. Looking at the hourly forecast of the southerly front moving in, I decided to leave at 0330 on Sunday and avoid the heavier winds as well as getting out of the harbor it’s straight into the wind and waves until you can round the first reef marker and then fall off on the winds from the south. I wasn’t sure how gnarly it would be at the harbor entrance with large waves one it was blowing in the 20s.
    Tortuga and I left Pillar Point Harbor at 0330 to avoid the worst of the southerly front moving through. Didn’t want to be pinned down and not be able to leave till Monday. The wind was only about 15 knots and there was already a large swell with some breaking waves so glad I got up and out at that time. Once up around the first green reef marker I was then able to sail the whole way back to with the exception of the last hour to get through the gate and take advantage of the remaining flood. We sailed under reefed main for the first few hours down wind doing 6.5-7 knots. Down wind back to SF!
    I got the staysail up too once I was getting closer to the entrance and was heading upwind a bit more on a beam reach. Only had a few sprinkles of rain. The wind was right on the bow from GGB to P39. All in all only was about a 5 hour run dock to dock. I got back to P39 just in time as there was a pretty good squall with lots of rain and gusts in the 30s.

    Cheers,
    Randy
    W32 Tortuga
    ~~~_/)~~~

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    11

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2021
    Location
    Palo Alto
    Posts
    58

    Default

    Hope this may help someone next time. This is what the HMB harbor looked like at 1:14 pm Sunday. It was taken by a windsurfing friend. And here also is the wind sensor data that shows it was blowing about 22 mph with gusts of 28-35 mph around that time. So wave action not as bad as Drake's Bay race but the wind was stronger. Still not sure I could raise anchor in that if I had to.

    Name:  imagejpeg_0.jpeg
Views: 132
Size:  127.3 KB

    Name:  Screen Shot 2022-09-19 at 8.45.17 AM.png
Views: 139
Size:  593.7 KB

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2021
    Location
    Palo Alto
    Posts
    58

    Default

    Here is the movie of the unusual HMB race weather event. Stolen from Mike Godsey but I know he won't mind as long as I give him credit and point you to his blog that explains what happened... https://blog.weatherflow.com/west-co...san-francisco/

    Name:  Teleconnection-RAIN-Bay-Area.gifcask.2022-09-16-09_50_15.gif
Views: 133
Size:  5.17 MB

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Arnold, CA
    Posts
    517

    Default

    [QUOTE=GBR3068;31701]Hope this may help someone next time. This is what the HMB harbor looked like at 1:14 pm Sunday. It was taken by a windsurfing friend. And here also is the wind sensor data that shows it was blowing about 22 mph with gusts of 28-35 mph around that time. So wave action not as bad as Drake's Bay race but the wind was stronger. Still not sure I could raise anchor in that if I had to.

    Wave action behind the breakwater was only about a foot.
    Rainbow motorsailed off the hook around 09:30. Definitely need to get on top of the anchor to get it out.
    Akumu sailed off a mooring around 16:00. Just slipped the line. It was really crappy outside the breakwater getting to the first green, after that you could crack off.

    Name:  imagejpeg_0.jpeg
Views: 132
Size:  127.3 KB
    Last edited by Daydreamer; 09-21-2022 at 02:02 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •