Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Things wrt Hanalei

Dave,
    Thanks for the useful information and thoughts on refueling and provisioning... In fact, I will be vacationing with my wife Michelle on Kauai January 3 through 17th and plan on performing some needed pre SHTP reconnaissance at Hanalei Bay and the Nahwiliwili harbor to see first-hand how the docks and tie ups look for the possibility of docking while a car is run up to any nearby diesel supply stations. An offer to everyone... Please let me know if there is anything else that anyone would like me to put "eyes on" for you at Hanalei and/or to check out there locally. Looking forward to getting there safe and sound and meeting everyone in person.

Cheers,
    Michael Polkabla
    Cal40 Solstice #4

PS Are people bringing dinghy's or inflatable kayaks, to get ashore or what can we expect once we arrive at Hanalei ???

...also, I am starting to play around with my new Expedition software now and wondered where the start and finish lines will be located? And are there coordinates posted
    for those yet?

I'm bringing the same inflatable kayak that I used in 2010. Two seater, so I was able to carry a fair bit of stuff, including fuel and water for the return. Not in one trip, mind you!

Quote Originally Posted by Critter View Post
    I'm bringing the same inflatable kayak that I used in 2010. Two seater, so I was able to carry a fair bit of stuff, including fuel and water for the return. Not in one trip, mind you!
    In 6 trips to Hanalei with WILDFLOWER (27') I've individually brought a stock windsurfer (12'), a Kiwi kayak, and Avon Redcrest inflatable dinghy. All weighed 35-40 pounds and stowed below enroute. Each equally served well as shoreboat, landing in surf in front of Beach Park/lifeguard station. At one point I had 3, full, five gallon fuel jugs balanced on the windsurfer. Necessity is the mother of invention and part of the adventure: I've seen skippers swim their fuel jugs, as well as put them in inflatable inner tubes. Definitely bring a mask, snorkel, and fins and something you can row or paddle upwind into the offshore tradewinds. Relying on outboard convenience is a non-starter as per Beetle.
    Last edited by sleddog; 12-28-2022 at 08:42 AM.

My friend brought Starbuck's outboard over in a duffle bag in 2000. Try that now !

There is usually a shipment of gear that goes over in a crate where competitors can share the shipping costs of their dingy, delivery gear, etc.

So good to know that walking to anything is impossible. I assume that means to/from the supermarket with food as well.

Looks like there is a kayak rental place Kayak Hanalei at 5-5070A Kuhio Hwy. $45/day with what looks like dozens of plastic kayaks. I think that is walkable from the beach?

So that leaves getting a car. Seems like the hardest part is actually getting the car as in you need a car to get to a car at the airport for example.

It would be good to know how practical it is to get an Uber etc. in Kauai and if there are any tricks to picking up/leaving a rental at the airport.

I've fooled around a lot on windsurfers and I don't think I could handle three 5-gallon cans.

I'm beginning to think of SHTP as being the round-trip with a brief pause in Hanalei rather than a one-way.

If you happen to get there ahead of everyone else, you could ride the bus.
    Stops at the corner of Aku road and Kuhio highway in Hanalei. 4 bucks and one transfer will get you to the airport and car rentals in Lihue.

If you can work with the schedules of others, most people are willing to help out with rides and such.

In 2018 the kayak rental place on the river did not allow their boats in the bay.
    Rumor had it the place in the shopping center didn't ask.

As it was, three different people helped me out with their dinghys, on different occasions, to help shuttle me, food, water, fuel, laundry, guitar and an outboard. Dennis s/v Pamela refilled my jugs from his watermaker and delivered them. Mahalo!

As far as supplies go the hardware store in Princeville is pretty well stocked. I picked up a couple 5 gal fuel jugs and some galvanized fasteners. Not much stainless though.
    Last edited by Daydreamer; 12-29-2022 at 12:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GBR3068 View Post
    . . . walking to anything is impossible.
    Well, not exactly. From the beach park pavilion it is a 1/2 mile walk to 'downtown' Hanalei, where there are restaurants, tourist-y shops of all kinds, and decent sized grocery store. https://www.timessupermarkets.com/st...nalei-big-save.

That said, if you are sailing back, then it is indeed best to think of this as a round trip with a pause in Hanalei. So if you have the space and can stand the extra weight, you might consider leaving SF with most or all of the non-perishable provisions for the return trip. You're not going to find Backpacker's Pantry or Mountain House meals at the Hanalei grocery store.
    Lee
    s/v Morning Star
    Valiant 32

Check with racers who are shipping back to see what they don't want to bring home.

I picked up a couple gallons of gas, a 3 gallon fuel jug and a few extra bags of freeze dried.

The store is Hanalei is indeed within walking distance of the beach as well as several decent restaurants.
    It's a smaller store and one could make do but a better selection of produce is in Princeville.

My big purchase was apples and tangerines.

One suggestion is to grab some tins of vegetables or bring extra freeze dried veggies.
    On the way home that was the main thing I craved after a couple weeks of beans & rice and pasta.
    I thought I packed a couple tins but found them in a box of gear later at home.

I did find a Mountain House Pasta Primavera after a couple weeks, in the food box aboard during the return trip. It was a treat!
    Last edited by Daydreamer; 12-29-2022 at 01:03 PM.

Anyone used the bus just to "go up/down the hill"? https://thekauaibus.com/map 400 in Lihue direction and the 500 back. Every hour 5am to 9pm. Stops near the beach and in Princeville: • Hanalei Neighborhood Center • Hanalei Center • Across Princeville Library (which I make about 600 ft from the 76 station) Looks do-able, but so did walking.

I have used the bus from Hanalei to Princeville.
    Easy ride. Usually runs as scheduled.

Doubtful containers with fuel would be allowed, if that is what you are wondering.
    Hazmat and all.
    Although I haven't found anything specific. https://www.kauai.gov/Government/Dep...ted-Activities