Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Things wrt Hanalei

Default Things wrt Hanalei

Last questions for me I think on Seminar 1 before switching to Seminar 2…

1. After my experience in a blow at Drake's Bay, where I cut my anchor, is there anywhere not to moor? considering storm directions, strong trades, etc.
    2. I posted my experiences at Drake's Bay and as a result I'm considering, as in currently planning to, putting a length of maybe 30 ft 8-plait at the anchor end of my chain so I have something to absorb shock when I get to the end of the chain when weighing anchor. Any issues with coral?
    3. Can you get diesel at the gas station at the "top of the hill". I dont think I will be doing the back-and-forth with cans on an SUP but it would be good to know if I had to that I could get 5 gallons that would get me to a fuel dock either on Kauai or back in Honolulu
    4. What sort of stuff can you get "at the top of the hill" for the ride home. On a scale from small convenience store to supermarket?
    Last edited by GBR3068; 12-22-2022 at 09:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GBR3068 View Post
    4. What sort of stuff can you get "at the top of the hill". On a scale from small convenience store to supermarket?
    Nice supermarket.

Quote Originally Posted by GBR3068 View Post
    Last questions for me I think on Seminar 1 before switching to Seminar 2…

1. After my experience in a blow at Drake's Bay, where I cut my anchor, is there anywhere not to moor? considering storm directions, strong trades, etc.
    In general there is not too much worry in anchoring in Hanalei bay... there are exceptions, particularly during winter storms but for the most part it is a fairly protected roadstead.
    2. I posted my experiences at Drake's Bay and as a result I'm considering, as in currently planning to, putting a length of maybe 30 ft 8-plait at the anchor end of my chain so I have something to absorb shock when I get to the end of the chain when weighing anchor. Any issues with coral?
    No, not really... the anchorage area is mostly sand.
    3. Can you get diesel at the gas station at the "top of the hill". I dont think I will be doing the back-and-forth with cans on an SUP but it would be good to know if I had to that I could get 5 gallons that would get me to a fuel dock either on Kauai or back in Honolulu
    Yes, you can get diesel at the gas station in Princeville
    4. What sort of stuff can you get "at the top of the hill" for the ride home. On a scale from small convenience store to supermarket?
    as Intermission noted, there is a very well stocked local Foodland supermarket in the same complex as the Texaco
    DH
    Last edited by DaveH; 12-23-2022 at 08:55 AM.

Thanks!

I think I am right in saying there are no fuel docks in Kauai. I understand there was a rental company I&L Rentals that would deliver fuel to Nawiliwili Harbor but it doesn't seem as though they are still in operation.

It is hard to find reliable information on fuel docks on Oahu via Internet but I can figure that out with some calls to Transpac folks.

I took along several empty diesel jugs. They don't weigh much and lived in the forepeak during the race. Before the return trip I made a couple runs to the closest gas station that sold #2 diesel (not the blended stuff). It beats tearing around town trying to buy fuel jugs, or trying to find a fuel dock in the islands.

In Hanalei Bay you'll need a little boat (yours or borrowed) to get the fuel jugs back to your boat. We were at the Kaneohe Yacht Club so that part was easier. Word to the wise: You can't Uber/Lyft with fuel jugs (or with dry ice).
    Last edited by BobJ; 12-23-2022 at 01:03 PM.

I am so glad we have this Forum because your last post was part of my thinking which was maybe I could Uber with the empty jugs to the top of the hill and walk down the hill with two full cans. I tried carrying two full 5 gallon cans for quite a way and it wasn't easy, carrying one is harder. Had to rest at least every 1/4 mile, down to every 100 yards at the end. It looks to be about a mile between the beach and the 76 gas station. Walking there isn't the hardest part, so I'm not sure Uber helps. My latest scheme is to try and use the wheelie luggage bag I use to hold my big fat SUP to carry a gas can. I hoped to try 2-at-a-time, but 1 is more realistic plus 1 can on the SUP is hard enough. So I think it has to be one at a time. Classic Time and Motion study… I think it would take me most of a day to get to the gas station and back for 10 gallons. Thats OK. I could also sit at the gas station and bribe someone with a pickup truck to give me a ride or two. Or just rent a car...

I have a 30 gallon tank and enough room in the engine compartment for another 10 gallons and enough room for 2 more empty 5 gallon tanks in the anchor locker. I got an offer of a fuel bladder from someone who just did the PacCup. I'm in the middle of analyzing the TransBack and how much fuel typically gets used to get back. My best guess is 1-2 days of motoring.

I agree that it is best to work out these logistics regarding re-provisioning and diesel access before we get to Hanalei. I am making arrangements to have a rental car available to shlep the diesel jugs from the nearby station to the beach but am still trying to decide the best way to then get the jugs to the anchored boat... I would be happy to assist others (with our rental car) who otherwise would be carrying jugs. What are others planning on doing to get to and from their boats while at anchor??? I have heard that inflatable kayaks and/or SUPs might be the ticket but would really like to arrange for something more substantial to rent/use. Also, are there limitations to motorized boat use in Hanalei Bay...

Lots to consider for sure. Let's keep this thread going.

Cheers,
    Michael Polkabla
    Cal40 Solstice #4

There are usually folks with a rental car or two willing to help with trips to market / fuel station.
    Same with dinghys.

Be patient. Be appreciative. Goes a long way.

Walking to Princeville is not doable with fuel cans. Steep uphill with not much shoulder.

The only limitation regarding powered boats in Hanalei Bay is you do not land a powered dinghy at the swimming beach, which is directly in front of the life guard station at the head of the bay. They don't want people runninng outboards through areas where swimmers are. The best landing is to go to the left end of the bay to the Hanalei River, negotiate the rocks there, and land by the canoe club - no waves, you can step right into the dinghy. Be careful, dinghies (including mine) have been stolen from there. My suggestion would be to run a kayak straight up to the life guard station and leave it there - saves the walk in from the canoe club back to the main road you go up to get to the food store/market in Hanalei.

For fuel, definitely bring/carry empty jerry jugs on the race over; it can be difficult-to-impossible to find jerry jugs upon arrival. Expect that someone from RC or a fellow competitor will have a rental car available for a group run up to the gas station in Princeville.

For return fuel quantities, basically you can never have enough and how much you burn depends upon how close to the High you go and whether or not the High drops down over you. If you can manage 700-1,000 mile range then you're golden. A most useful thing to do in advance of the race is to work out the best motoring RPM to maximize range. I found over a series of tests that 1430 RPM at 4.9 knots was the best for me. Anything less I was mostly spinning the engine, anything more and I was burning additional fuel without increasing distance run nearly enough to make up for the extra fuel burn. Bring books should the High drop down and you elect not to motor along - it's extremely pleasant to spend a day in the High with the boat stopped.

An interesting factoid about diesel in jerry jugs - they float, so you can tow them out to the boat behind a kayak. Looks strange but it works.

The supermarket in Princeville has everything you'd need for return provisioning - it's a full size normal supermarket.

- rob/beetle

A plausible alternative to refueling/re-provisioning in Hanalei is to sail around to Nahwiliwili /Lihue.
    Yes, it's a days sail upwind, and no, there isn't a fuel dock.
    But there are docks, supermarkets, diesel and dock carts.
    That said, you'll want some fenders... those concrete quays are just that... concrete.
    And a vehicle to get around with.

And yes, the RC (and likely others) will have rental car(s) for facilitating trips up and down the hill to Princeville.
    DAYDREAMER is correct, walking is emphatically not an option.