Thread: 2023 sss race schedule

Default 2023 sss race schedule

I'm setting up my 2023 racing calendar and noticed that Saturday, May 13 is a busy ocean race day. Both the SSS Farallones and OYRA Duxbury Races are scheduled that day. A 10:54 1.6 knot Ebb is probably the reason. I'm registering for the OYRA Series and of course love the SSS Farallones (my Farallones sweatshirt collection keeps my warm and old ones are my go-to work garb). I'd love to be abler to sail both of these races.

There's a 10:06 1.0 knot ebb two weeks later on May 27. Any chance YRA and SSS can work out a schedule adjustment so one of the conflicting races moves to May 27?

There's also a BAMA - OYRA HMB conflict on June 24 (I realize this is not an SSS issue)

As past SSS Commodore and past YRA Chairman (also past SSS race officer and past YRA race officer over the years) I realize that there usually only 2 "Ebb Saturdays" each month, which makes scheduling ocean races difficult. This calls for racing authorities sponsoring those races to work schedules out. Participation in ocean racing has declined in recent years, so I think it's more imperative than ever to avoid overlapping ocean races.

Was originally scheduled on the 20th, not sure why the change. The 27th is the Spinnaker Cup and CORW.

solosailor is correct, we tried to resolve the conflict, but in the end selected a favorable tide for the SHF participants over the conflict.

With over 1,000 races on the calendar, avoiding conflict without compromising of the quality of the races was challenging.

SSS Commodore, Chris Case