Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2023 Three Bridge Fiasco Feedback

As to the radio issue, there are so many factors that affect propagation: type of antenna, loss of signal from too small wiring, loss of signal from degradation of the wire or coating due to age, position of the antenna (if it is tilted).
    On another subject, I was amazed at how many competitors had AIS transponders. The starting line on my plotter was a minefield of triangles pointing every which way. I was very happy to have my transponder on and the receiver going while crossing the fogged in bay. It paid for itself in avoiding the shipping traffic. It was the first time I was sad that I removed my radar as the non AIS boats kept popping out of the fog (fortunately we were all heading toward the start so closing speeds weren’t bad.

Regarding the prohibited zone off Yerba Buena: Does SSS still own the inflatable mark that we purchased sometime around 2008? I think I set it for two consecutive 3BFs, at the corner of the zone. I don't know if the lat/long specified in the SIs was the same location, but it might be easier to round a physical mark than a virtual one.

Max

Huge Thank You to the Race Committee!!

I have been on race deck for a couple TBFs.
    Radios for check ins and spotters for the line are SUPER busy during the start.

Transmissions are regularly stepped on by multiple calls.
    Just when you think you have an opening 5 boats call in at once.

I heard Dura Mater and Surprise! check in just before me. I was in the window between Alcatraz and Angel islands getting good signal.
    I heard Skye call in several times even after they were reported checked in.

I didn't notice the flags on shore due to a busy start line. I was late as well.
    Restricted zones, Some were ignored. I saw a J boat next to a tanker in the Richmond long wharf area.
    Couldn't read the sail number and binocs were out of reach, but you know who you are!

Thanks for the comms with VTS on traffic.

Great day on the water!!
    Last edited by Daydreamer; 01-30-2023 at 07:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daydreamer View Post
    Huge Thank You to the Race Committee!!

I have been on race deck for a couple TBFs.
    Radios for check ins and spotters for the line are SUPER busy during the start.

Transmissions are regularly stepped on by multiple calls.
    Just when you think you have an opening 5 boats call in at once.

I heard Dura Mater and Surprise! check in just before me. I was in the window between Alcatraz and Angel islands getting good signal.
    I heard Skye call in several times even after they were reported checked in.

I didn't notice the flags on shore due to a busy start line. I was late as well.
    Restricted zones, Some were ignored. I saw a J boat next to a tanker in the Richmond long wharf area.
    Couldn't read the sail number and binocs were out of reach, but you know who you are!

Thanks for the comms with VTS on traffic.

Great day on the water!!
    I don’t understand how both my radios would selectively not pick up the race committee while I was able to receive all the transmissions from the boats around me. Could it be a DSC problem?

Still can't see the light at the end of the scoring tunnel, but it's got to be getting closer.

Some "thank you"s are in order.

Thanks to all the racers who came out. Without you there'd be no crazy fun event like this.

I'd like to thank everyone who wrote off to ask us to "adjust" things in the results. Especially the very patient people. We want to run a race that is as fair as we can, and that's been not just a lot of "execution" work, but also a lot of internal discussion on how we can get to the fairest results for all boats. So I know I have been unresponsive for at least the past two days. Probably four days, since I spent Thursday night and Friday pretty focused on getting ready.

More importantly I'd like to thank all of the volunteers on the race deck. We could not have done it without your dedication. Tchoup gets special kudos for sitting up with Carliane and I cross-checking three finish sheets, video and still photos late into the night until closing time at GGYC.

Which brings me to Carliane, who was PRO after flying in the night before from the East Coast. Carliane, I think you did a great job in a very trying situation and everyone should know that.
    Last edited by fauxboat; 01-31-2023 at 02:03 AM.

New preliminary results incorporating many, but not all, adjustments are now posted on Jibeset.

Overall results are sort of posted too, but at this time are showing an extra 53 years of corrected time. That's doubtless a missing date field somewhere defaulting to 1970, and we'll get it straightended out.

Thank you for racing with the SSS and we hope to see you at the Corinthian on February 25.

Quote Originally Posted by Critter View Post
    Regarding the prohibited zone off Yerba Buena: Does SSS still own the inflatable mark that we purchased sometime around 2008? I think I set it for two consecutive 3BFs, at the corner of the zone. I don't know if the lat/long specified in the SIs was the same location, but it might be easier to round a physical mark than a virtual one.

Max
    Thank you Max, that is good to know.

I would guess that earlier years would have set it at the CFR boundary closer to the island. Per photo in the slide deck, that seemed too close---it's only 100' from the side of the ship there --- so the new location is another 400' east and 170' south of the corner of the CFR.

It's not a rounding mark, so just going around it isn't enough to keep out of trouble. But I agree a buoy would be helpful if we can count on having volunteers to set it before 9 AM and retrieve it after 7 PM. The water is about 30' deep there and it would need to be set on a pretty heavy anchor. (Given the strong current and the need to use a short rode to keep it away from the Oakland Harbor dredged area a little south of there.)

Maybe next year if we have volunteers.

Over in the 3BF pix, I spy:

Stephen Buckingham, Bob Naber, Richard von Ehrenkrook, Lucie Mewes, Jan Brewer, Shawn Wilson, Commodore Chris Case, Richard Reitmeyer, Mary Lovely-Quanci, and Carliane Johnson behind the lens?

Folks I don't recognize: Young couple by the red flag, guy in Mt. Gay hat, and is that Sally Richards next to Bob Naber?

Corrections and additions?

THANKS TO ALL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Over in the 3BF pix, I spy:

Stephen Buckingham, Bob Naber, Richard von Ehrenkrook, Lucie Mewes, Jan Brewer, Shawn Wilson, Commodore Chris Case, Richard Reitmeyer, Mary Lovely-Quanci, and Carliane Johnson behind the lens?

Folks I don't recognize: Young couple by the red flag, guy in Mt. Gay hat, and is that Sally Richards next to Bob Naber?

Corrections and additions?

THANKS TO ALL!!!
    Thank you, Bob. Richard and I are just getting our heads above water for the first time in days though there's still much to do, but that doesn't excuse our lack of public recognition to our amazing TBF volunteers. These races can not be run without them. Anyone who races and hasn't worked a race deck before does a disservice to their sport, and we welcome all with open arms. The "young couple" who were observers at the east end of the start restriction box are Rachel Porter (Can'owhoopass crew) and Vinnie Bezerra (Kynntana's return crew from 2022 PacCup). Beccie Mendenhall (Kynntana's crew on DH bay races, co-owner of Blue Pearl in Estuary races, and co-sponsor of Pluto at HMBYC) was helping Bob Naber observe the east start line restricted area. It took a village and most everyone stayed all day (and some into the night) to get a lot done by the time the GGYC started kicking us out by 21:30. Many have also said they'll be back for our Corinthian race on Feb 25. My heart is full of gratitude. They are the unsung heroes in all this.

Carliane Johnson (behind the lens)

Time to introduce and thank the Three Bridge Fiasco race deck team!

First, thanks to all the racers for coming out to enjoy this delightfully eccentric race! Your enjoyment and positive feedback are why we show up to serve this sailing community!! This race would not have been staged without these fabulous volunteers:

Carliane Johnson, Principle Race Officer (PRO), my guess is Carliane has committed 50+ hours of her time preparing for this race, working the race deck for 14+ hours on Saturday, and working on the results tirelessly since the race!! In the month before the race, Carliane and Shawn Wilson built a new video recording system using a 2K camera with a NIST clock in the frame, that also streamed to 3BF fans worldwide! Huge improvement on the SSS’s old camcorder.

Richard Reitmeyer: Assistant PRO, seemingly matching Carliane hour for hour, Richard has brought a rigorous approach to the SSS race program, we are very fortunate to have him. After developing the NOR for the year, and SI’s for the 3BF, Richard’s clarity presenting the race information on the skippers meeting video call was very helpful especially to first time racers. Richard prepared all the recording sheets for the race team’s use tracking the boats during the start and finish.

This year for the first time we had observers at the flags marking the edges of the “start-box” obstruction, Bob Naber, Beccie Mendenhall, Vinnie Bezerra and Rachel Porter diligently tracked boats as they approached the obstruction, confirming each boats was crossing into the obstruction no more than 4 minutes before the boat’s start. Their diligence resulted in this feedback from a racer: “I thought the start was better with the 150 yard obstruction on either side (until your warning). My start (in the express fleet) was way less stressful.” Mary Lovely, and Chris Case monitored the start line for over-early boats.

On radio check this year were Jan Brewer, Richard vonEhrenkrook, Lucie Mewes, and Steve Buckingham, thanks for being the voices of the SSS on Saturday, your grace and patience is many new timer’s first introductions to the SSS! Thanks to all the racers for your patience with the radio check-ins, we know it can be challenging, and are working to make communications more robust.

Midday, the two Richards consolidated the radio-checkin lists so we could track withdraws and inform the Coast Guard of the number of participants is the race.

Before we knew it, boats were approaching the finish, catching the finish team wolfing down a late lunch of burgers and fries that Carliane had arranged for the team. The finish team included Jan Brewer whistling the finishes, while Bob Naber, and Richard vonEhrenkrook called sail numbers and boat names, Chris Case and Richard Reitmeyer, scribbled madly to get is all down on paper!! Tom Boussie came to the race deck after sailing the race and helped finish the last of the racers, while some of us stepped under the heat lamp to warm up.

Backing up the starting line observers and the finish team was Shawn Wilson who made sure the video cameras continued to record the entire day, a much-needed reference to fill the inevitable gaps when recording the finish of this race!!

The SSS is indebted to the Golden Gate Yacht Club for the use of their race deck, the GGYC manager Bob Mulhern and GGYC member Dave Kresge made every effort to help us pull this race off!! Thanks Bob and Dave!
    Richard, Carliane, and Steve Buckingham stayed at the GGYC Saturday night uploading the bulk of the results into Jibeset until they were graciously informed it was time to close the club! Richard and Carliane continued the next morning culminating in the publication of preliminary results by 11:45 AM Sunday morning! They have continued all week to answer emails about finish times, and update Jibset!
    I for one am going to do my best this year to make sure these selfless sailors never need buy their own beer whenever in SSS company!! I’m sure I’ll have some help with this, as other SSS member express their gratitude!

Thanks, Carliane and Richard!! And the entire race deck team for a job well done!

The race is now in US Sailing SOARS. If you are a US Sailing member please record your role details to get credit for all your hard work.

Chris Case, SSS Commodore