Thread: YRA Offshore electronics questions

Default YRA Offshore electronics questions

Hello,

Thanks in advance for any light you are able to shed on this, and for your time in reading it.

I am prepping my J24 for the SSS races next year, and have a couple of questions regarding electronics. Being new to AIS, GPS and all that, I was wondering if any of you have suggestions for an electronics package that would satisfy the 3.8.1-3.15 YRA Offshore requirements.

I have the handheld VHF with GPS and MOB button, 3.8.2, so does that also satisfy the 3.14 GPS and 3.15 Crew Overboard requirements?

I have a floating PLB and a MOB beacon.

Looks like I need a 25w VHF and an AIS transponder. I was considering a radio that does both functions, like the GX2400.

I'm looking for any advice on simple solutions.

Again, really appreciate any help. Looking forward to getting out there!

Take care,

Geoff

Geoff,
    I don't believe an AIS transponder is required. The 25W VHF with masthead antenna must have DSC. The Horizon GX2400 has DSC and an AIS receiver, and you can get a remote mic for it, with the AIS display, to keep in the cockpit.
    Sam

Hello Xavier, Thanks for the info. This is the quote from the guidelines -

3.9 AIS
    All boats shall have an AIS Transponder, sharing a masthead VHF antenna via a low loss AIS
    antenna splitter. An acceptable alternative is a dedicated AIS antenna that is a minimum of
    0.9 meters long, mounted with its base at least 3 meters above the water, and fed with
    coax that has a maximum 40% power loss. US Sailing AIS requirement for Coastal is
    effective January 1, 2024. The ability to transmit an AIS signal is not required by SF-YRA but
    the ability to receive an AIS signal is recommended. *SF-YRA change

So if I'm not confused, it looks like the ability to transmit is not required by the SF-YRA, but the ability to receive is recommended. That makes it sound like AIS of any kind is a recommendation, not a requirement. Basically, it sounds like I'd be covered with the GX2400, my handheld with MOB and my PLB.

Luckily I have some time to get this figured out.

Take care,

Geoff

My two cents and take on all of this is that having the ability to receive and transmit an AIS signal (whether required currently or not) is extremely valuable for offshore and for SHTP and the like. I used mine in this years SHTP and saw great value in avoiding and communicating with BFBs (Big Freakin Boats) while underway. Many electronic software systems with AIS also have the ability to set alarms of distance and projected CPA lines based on speed and heading so that you can actually get some needed nap time in during these solo events. Therefore, from a safety standpoint, I use mine all the time and transmit throughout these events so that I can see and be seen. I'm really not worried about being in "stealth" mode while racing and if you are, you can always toggle the AIS on and off if that is the case. Note though, that most AIS systems that are masthead/VHF coordinated will only have the ability to receive and transmit to other AIS targets and BFBs within about 20 miles. That is perfectly fine to me though since those are the ones that need to be worried about.

Hope this helps... Let us know what you decide.

Michael
    Cal40 Solstice

GX2400
    That is an AIS receiver..... I believe the OYRA, not sure about the SSS will require a Transceiver which starts about $750-1200+ alone.

YRA will be requiring and AIS transonder (send and receive) after January 1 2024.
    The last sentance in the SERs stating AIS is "recommended" is the old verbiage for up to 2024.

SSS usually follows what YRA is doing, though occasionally making adjustments.

I races 2018 SHTP with the GX2400. I would have liked to have had send capability.
    Twice the CPA alarm did not go on and I was startled to come on deck for a look and see a ship within a mile!

A PLB is good for coastal racing, Drakes Bay etc., but an EPIRB is required for longer ocean races like Long-Pac or SHTP.
    Last edited by Daydreamer; 11-16-2023 at 09:50 AM.

AIS receive/transmit has been invaluable aboard my Express 27 adding a nice bit of confidence for both a PAC Cup and this years SHTP. I’ve never been able to set it above a 2 mile warning however which is pretty close. My favorite bit of gear is THE RADAR DETECTOR MER-VEILLE FROM CIEL ET MARINE. This unit complements AIS and is a backup for vessels not transmitting it but using radar. This passive radar system picked up ships 8 miles off and uses very little power. It was especially nice to have during my qualifier where I crossed a shipping lane 6 times. It would buzz till it woke me up and I could then start monitoring the target on the multi function display equipped with AIS.
    There are several vendors, the below link is just one. Usually coming from Europe.
    https://www.picksea.com/en/sea-watch...ine-27083.html

On the SHTP, we used em-trak B924 AIS transponder and Standard Horizon GX2000 for AIS display and alarm. It worked as expected, and I “saw” more ships than I would have picked up just looking around. Whenever one was within 10 miles or so, I called, asked if they could see our AIS, our radar return, and lights if dark. They usually could, although I did not ask if they saw us before I asked. One photo shows the display with a ship about 7nm astern, crossing right to left. One photo shows the view, and the other photo has an arrow pointing at the ship.

The Std Horizon as a display/ alarm is limited, because the alarm cannot easily be disabled once it starts alarming. Maybe I could turn the radio off then on, but it did not seem that important since I only saw a ship every 2-3 days.

Name:  IMG_2225.jpeg
Views: 154
Size:  3.66 MB

Name:  IMG_2275.jpeg
Views: 144
Size:  2.81 MB

Name:  IMG_2275.jpeg
Views: 142
Size:  665.3 KB
    Todd Olsen
    WATERWINGS- Corsair F31RS Trimaran
    GWENDOLYN- Olson 29