Thread: The Global Solo Challenge

Default The Global Solo Challenge

Done with work for the day, so I looked for boats online. No, not another boat for me, but other peoples' boats. Like for instance, what are people down south doing? Looks like Whitall Stokes bought a new boat, a Beneteau. Since he gave his boat s/v Sparrow to Ronnie Simpson he doesn't have that one to sail anymore. And oh, yeah, where is Ronnie, anyway? Well, he's registered in this race. Of course he is. It leaves from Spain. Whoo hoo! Leaving from Marina Caruna in Spain in September. It's a pursuit race. And here's our old friend's page: https://globalsolochallenge.com/ronnie-simpson-en/
    For sure I'll be following him.

Thanks Jackie -
    Here's Ronnie's direct site - pointed at the latest updates page

Ronnie is 100% committed to this thing, as is his MO.
    And he needs money, A LOT of it... I think the minimum funding for the race itself is 500K.

Ronnie doesn't need me to shill for him, he's pretty good at that himself.
    But, in this season of tax preparation, there is a donate section of his website, and he's set up a portion of this campaign up as a 501c3 corporation (the US Patriot Sailing link).
    Just a gentle suggestion.
    yeah, I'm asking for a friend.

DH

And he needs money, A LOT of it... I think the minimum funding for the race itself is 500K.
    Devils advocate but wow, that is a huge budget beyond a free boat. There is a great, much newer, 55' IMOCA style boat (it was build to be a one-design Vendee boat) for $300k'ish and a more modern Open 50 for sale for much less..... both that could win the race plus another $200k+ for refit/ops budget. He's got a good start with the platform so hopefully he'll make it and have a solid go of it with the ex-Balance Bar.

Ronnie is in Beaufort, NC getting Sparrow ready and stretching his dollars as much as possible. Cheap berthing there, he's living aboard and he's rebuilding the Beta 20 on his own. Found a bad lower rod bearing after tearing the engine completely down in someone's garage. Jerome is helping him with the NKE system (wind instruments, Wifi box). He's been doing really well getting gear, but needs cash for a bottom job and various parts that he needs to pay for along with lunch money to live. While he's gotten very close on some title sponsors, so far it's a very low budget grass roots campaign so he needs even small donations.

No, it won't take $500k to get him to the start line.

Regarding the GSC itself, it will be fascinating to see how many of the entrants make the start line, and how many finish. Especially the Class 40's and IMOCAs.

Go Ronnie GO!

I think it's a total bummer for them to change the rules long into it to allow IMOCAs. Really screws the people who put efforts into Class 40s and Open 50s for a 60 to show now.

>> Here's Ronnie's direct site

Bad link format I think. I found it here https://ronniesimpsonracing.com/latest-updates/