Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: 2023 Corinthian Race: Registraions are now open on jibeset

If the single handers are going for a yearly championship , shouldn't the rating splits stay the same for the whole years races?
    Division rating splits have nothing to do with overall season championships as it's your "fleet" position, not division position points that count. SSS doesn't do division awards for the year.

Do you even get my point ??? Make changes in between seasons not in the middle of it

Since there are no Division Season Champions, just Singlehanded and Doublehanded Overall it is a moot point, that is what I was trying to convey. Cheers.

OK... once again... who's screwing with the courses? After all these years.. these courses are just freaking weird...

Along with their descriptions and an unnecessary mark ( 21) it could have been TI to port ... FINISH

SOMEBODY is just making big words to sound cool

PSutchek, the "somebody" is probably me.

I'm still not getting the point of your earlier comment on division splits, because I'm mostly trying to follow the substance of 2022 SIs as I make 2023 SIs in the style of RRS Appendix L, and improve things around the edges. I am pretty sure the fleet breaks for "smaller" boats this year are the same as the fleet breaks for 2022. To help me understand if it's a proofreading problem on my end, please point out what I changed. If the answer is that I did not change something from 2022 but should have, some words around what & why would be helpful.

The course for the majority of the boats, course 2, is identical to the 2022 Sis. I did create a new course for singlehanded boats, which I designed for safety, as I'd heard this race had a history of "more than its share" of accidents. Specifically, I designed it to have the same length as the 2022 course, and to keep boats in the same general area as the 2022 course, but to keep the SH boats and DH boats as separated as I could. I'd also heard the singlehanders liked long legs, so I tried to give people a nice long spinnaker run with the leg from A to FOC, though with midwinter winds I couldn't really count on it being a spinnaker run. I hear you when you say the courses are "weird" for you, but I'll better understand your desires for the future if you can provide more words on what you wanted / did not want in a course.

Richard, 2023 SSS Race Co-Chair
    Last edited by fauxboat; 02-25-2023 at 11:39 PM.

PS. I should add for context that Solosailor and Philpott are just teasing me for having taken the time to re-measure when they joke about this year's course being "a reduction from last year" or "shortest in memory": 2023 course 2 is identical to the 2022 course, which memorably turned out to be too long for them (and almost everyone else) to finish. And 2023 course 1 is slightly longer.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Just to clarify, the Corinthian Yacht Club is not available?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wylieguy View Post
    The "Corinthian Race" was named for the yacht club. Peter Hogg was a member (Commodore) at the CYC back then. And, yes, there have been several times when the race was moved to the GGYC. Yacht Club management changes. Does the SSS have a list of CYC members who race in SSS races, especially the Corinthian? Club members are usually the folks who can put some pressure where it's needed.

It's fair to remind everyone that the GGYC has been unavailable several times over the years, too. Matter of fact in the 1980s the SSS bought a membership in the GGYC for an SSS sailor so there would be a "say" in things.
    Sorry that I'm joining this thread a little late - I am a CYC member and have been an SSS member for the last few years. I was a board member at CYC last year and after chatting with Joe B about rumors that CYC was not available asked everybody I could find at CYC (including the Commodore, 2 prior Commodores, all board members, race committee, race council chair and club manager) if they knew who started this rumor. The all denied any knowledge of this - and were disappointed that the Corinthian race was not starting at Corinthian Yacht Club. The best theory that I have is that during 2020, members of reciprocal yacht clubs were not allowed to dine at the yacht club - and a member of club stuff mistakenly didn't understand that SSS was asking about running a race rather than having dinner...

To agree with Pat's point, there are Corinthian members who are also SSS members (including 2 of the last 5 commodores), please reach out to me (or indeed any of them as I'm sure any of them would be happy to help the SSS run some races) to help if we can.

Quote Originally Posted by fauxboat View Post
    PS. I should add for context that Solosailor and Philpott are just teasing me for having taken the time to re-measure when they joke about this year's course being "a reduction from last year" or "shortest in memory": 2023 course 2 is identical to the 2022 course, which memorably turned out to be too long for them (and almost everyone else) to finish. And 2023 course 1 is slightly longer.
    Well, I do like to tease but I think Greg and I were both honestly surprised that the race course is so short. It has been listed as 18 nm for the past 15 years at least. Regardless, I am grateful to you for doing all this work and will never let you buy your own beer at RYC when I see you there. Besides, we have a whole year to recalibrate all the SSS races and lengthen them. Thanks.

Hello John Kearney and all, I would like very much to see the next Corinthian Race start and finish at CYC. One of the most attractive things about the SSS races is the various venues for start and finish. SDK