Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: 2023 Corinthian Race: Registraions are now open on jibeset

And another thing: Since all our races this season will be recalibrated according to the Fauxboat Method of measurement, I think that we should retire the name of my favorite race and its course and create a new one. If we're not starting off the Corinthian Yacht Club maybe we shouldn't call it the Corinthian. We don't have a Richmond Race, yet here is this welcoming club chock full of sailors, more and more of them singlehanders every month. I propose replacing the Corinthian Race with the Richmond Race. And make it 18 nm.

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    I propose replacing the Corinthian Race with the Richmond Race.
    Jackie, we did have a Richmond - South Beach race for a few years. I think it replaced the East Bay - Estuary after the time there were complaints from a couple of ships coming in to Oakland, plus concern about racers being disadvantaged if there was a ship turning around in the inner harbor when they were coming down the Estuary.

Then, again relying on memory, Richmond - South Beach morphed into Round the Rocks.

Max

Quote Originally Posted by Critter View Post
    Then, again relying on memory, Richmond - South Beach morphed into Round the Rocks.
    Max
    That is correct, we did not start at Richmond because “like” the estuary “traffic” so we used Berkeley Circle, but great finish line at RYC..Rick
    Last edited by Lightspeed; 02-28-2023 at 08:40 PM.

John K., Thanks for reaching out about the CYC. I think the CYC race program is well-run and I enjoy sailing the races. Marcus is doing a great job, along with all the other CYC members who assist him. I hope the Corinthian Race can return to the CYC next year.

When the Corinthian Race was first created, trophies were awarded on the CYC deck following the race. The CYC harbor was filled with SSS boats, the bar was busy with SSS sailors, and everyone had a great time. The "trophies" were framed photos of the winning boats. For several years I'd borrow the SYC's "Mercury" (I was the SYC Race Director) and motor around taking pictures of all the boats then rush back to a 1-hour photo shops and then back to the CYC. We had the frames and mats and lettering -- except for the boat name -- ready. The photo of the winners was inserted into the cutout and the boat name inked in. Other years the prizes were hats with 1st, 2nd, 3rd and CYC Race embroidered on. Some years t-shirts. When I was SSS Commodore we "borrowed" the CYC MidWinter's printing the names of all the boats on the back for the 3-Bridge Fiasco. When I was YRA Chairman we worked with the CYC to set up the "Season Closer" figure 8 race around Angel and Alcatraz Islands. Lots of happy, positive CYC memories.

Having just raced the Corinthian Midwinters I saw a very lovely and large plaque that commemorated the SSS Starting the Singlehanded Transpac there. It would be great if they would welcome the SHTP once again.

Yes the SSS Transpac started at the CYC. Boats tied up in the CYC marina a day or two before. Friends, family, and interested folks could stroll along and talk with the skippers. The Start used the CYC race deck, so once again everyone could assemble and watch it up close and personal. Again when I was SYC Race Director we used "Mercury" to chase the boats out to the bridge taking photos. The pictures were prints since digital photraphjy hadn't been invented yet.