Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 Corinthian Race: Registraions are now open on jibeset

Default 2023 Corinthian Race: Registrations are now open on jibeset

Hello, SSS Racers!

We have opened registrations for the Feb 25 2023 Corinthian Race, which will start at Golden Gate YC using a "normal" start sequence, and have a roughly 13 NM course.

If Fiasco was too long for you to finish, or if you want to follow up a great Fiasco, this is your race! If you are not planning to race and would like to volunteer, please contact racechair@sfbaysss.org for more information.

All entries are required to have a 2023 PHRF certificate from YRA or BAMA (NOR 4.3) Be sure to register with the actual name(s) of the person(s) who will be aboard (NOR 6.1/6.2).

Register now at https://jibeset.net/JACKY000.php?RG=T00134165

Thank you for racing with the SSS, and we look forward to seeing you on the water.

Richard, 2023 SSS Race Co-Chair
    Last edited by fauxboat; 02-22-2023 at 04:25 PM.

Curious whyhy the 30% reduction in course length?

Um, it seems to me that, if it's not 18 nm it isn't the Corinthian Race and should have a different name. It is my favorite race. Notwithstanding the fact that no boats finished last year :-( it is not the Corinthian. Maybe call it Corinthian-Lite?

Probably because of the start/finish in front of GGYC instead of CYC? Not going to change the name. It's still the Corinthian race.

Funny. I don't remember SSS racers being so *particular* about these things in the past. Is everyone ok? Was it COVID? Or have we moved everyone's cheese for the first time. We're doing Race Deck debriefs to work on our own internal improvements so feel free to list others. We've heard about the one regarding check-ins.

I don't get the alllusion to moving cheese, but let's look at last year's Corinthian Race, which started and ended at the Golden Gate Yacht Club. According to Jibeset the Corinthian Race was 18 nm last year, so maybe this was just a typo? I need to know so I can bring enough chocolate for the whole day.

"Shrinkflation"

Most likely it's a typo on my part. The intent is to run a very similar race to last year. I will double check the couse length tonight after work. Thank you for flagging this, solosailor.

Richard

Philpott: I'm glad you like the Corinthian Race, and am sorry you did not finish last year's "18 NM" course. Perhaps a course of only 13 NM (nominal) will let you cross the finish before the end of racing. Please plan provisions for a full day on the water, regardless of how many miles you get in.

Solosailor et al: Be sure to get the actual course from the SIs, not this forum, but hypothetically a distance measurement might look like the below. Note I'm making segments here for the shortest path through navigable water, not where boats are likely to want to be for wind or current. And thankfully Time-on-Time handicapping makes how close one goes to Angel Island, and the distance generally, moot for scoring.

All precise people: As a cross-check for those who like this sort of stuff, please compare not just against the 2022 SIs (YRA-X, YRA-16, Angel Island, YRA-12, YRA-18, YRA-X) given as 18 NM, but also the 2021 SIs (YRA-X, YRA-16, Southhampton Shoal, YRA-12, YRA-18, YRA-X) given as 15.5 NM.

Please keep flagging things you think are wrong! We're all imperfect, starting with me.

Richard, 2023 SSS Race Co-Chair
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by fauxboat; 02-09-2023 at 07:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    I don't get the alllusion to moving cheese, but let's look at last year's Corinthian Race, which started and ended at the Golden Gate Yacht Club. According to Jibeset the Corinthian Race was 18 nm last year, so maybe this was just a typo? I need to know so I can bring enough chocolate for the whole day.
    You are lucky to have never had to read the Cheese book. I was semi-forced into reading it as a new (and young) government worker starting with an agency that was a merger of two others. Let's just say they were having a hard time with the cultural differences. Hence the powers above bought this book to help everyone manage the growing pangs. Here's the summary:

Who Moved My Cheese? is a simple parable that reveals profound truths. It is an amusing and enlightening story of four characters who live in a "Maze" and look for "Cheese" to nourish them and make them happy.

Two are mice named Sniff and Scurry. And two are "Littlepeople" -- beings the size of mice who look and act a lot like people. Their names are Hem and Haw.

"Cheese" is a metaphor for what you want to have in life -- whether it is a good job, a loving relationship, money, a possession, health, or spiritual peace of mind. And the "Maze" is where you look for what you want -- the organization you work in, or the family or community you live in. In the story, the characters are faced with unexpected change. Eventually, one of them deals with it successfully, and writes what he has learned from his experience on the Maze walls.

When you come to see "The Handwriting on the Wall," you can discover for yourself how to deal with change, so that you can enjoy less stress and more success (however you define it) in your work and in your life.

The 10th anniversary audio edition of Who Moved My Cheese? includes exclusive new bonus material in which Spencer Johnson offers fresh insights on its origins, impact and applications that will help you put its powerful wisdom to work.

SSS took out Southampton as a mark in this race, the rounding of which had also set up a choice about which way to go around Angel Island. These changes shortened the race a bunch and made it more of a parade. Southampton was sometimes a "restart" due to its being in the lee of Angel Island. Huge gains could be lost getting around it, but could possibly be made up with a correct choice about how to get back to Little Harding.

Will Max's old course, including the Corinthian YC start/finish, ever be restored?
    Last edited by BobJ; 02-09-2023 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Memories of the old course coming back.

And I knew Richard would come up with a justifiably better answer